IGNORED

Fuel Fittings Leaking

cali_beemer

So, I had a smell of gas in the garage and when I popped the side panels off, the fuel fittings were soaked in gas. If you run the bike, you can see the gas dripping off the fititngs and leaking all over. The bike is a 2004 RT and they are the stock disconnects. I am debating if its worth trying to replace the O-rings or if I should just replace both fittings to the upgraded metal type. I had also considered taking it into the dealer since the bike has an extended warranty on it. However; I just bought the bike and I havent transfered the warranty yet, so I am sure there would be issues there. If I took it to the dealer they would probably just replace them with the plastic BMW ones as well. The fittings on there appear to be a plastic shell, although its just the outside so the inside may be metal for all I know. Didnt BMW already have upgraded fittings by the 2004 model?

If I upgrade to metal does it really matter which ones? Beemerboneyard has some chrome plated units and say to watch out for the cast zinc ones...but beemerboneyard is out of stock. My local dealer sells the cast zinc ones. I was looking a these:

Fuel Fittings

If the ones that my dealer sells work good, I would just prefer to go with them. They are local and my wife will be able to pick them up today (assuming the dealer has them in stock). I cant imagine that any of these metal untis hold up better than the other since its mainly the O-ring doing the sealing and any metal will hold up to age and pressure ratings.

The chances are the plastic fitting has cracked, rather than the o-rings leaking. The upgrade to metal is well worth the cost - even BMW has upgraded the male half (the bit that fails) to metal.

Andy

The chances are the plastic fitting has cracked, rather than the o-rings leaking. The upgrade to metal is well worth the cost - even BMW has upgraded the male half (the bit that fails) to metal.

Andy

agree...replace and prolly never have the issue again. my 2004RT fittings cracked at about 25k miles. one of the easiest fixes for peace of mind.

Take it out of the garage and fire it up, literally and collect the insurance and get a new bike that has tight fittings.

1600cc calling

Its tempting....but the fire being in my driveway might be a give-away to the fire investigators.....Unless I can get 1BMWFAN to be the firefighter to do the report....LOL...I believe my house is within his responding area. :rofl:

But it wouldnt be a K1600GT...no beta tester here....my new theory with BMW is buy the last production year for the given model.

Well, I called my local dealer and they have the new metal units. He said they carry alot of them in stock, its a pretty regular repair....LOL...cant that be said about most BMW parts... So, with our states pound me in the #$@ sales tax rate, the pair of fittings and clamps are $109..... Outch....that expensive peace of mind...Notacops' advice about the fire is looking better... :)

I am sending my wife over to get them so I can make the repair tonight. I would like to ride on Christmas eve...

Maybe a dumb question here, But do the fittings you guys replace the stock ones with automatically shut off fuel flow when you unplug them?

In my manual it says you have to clamp the fuel line before disconnecting the fitting. I assume that is because the stock fittings are just open and would dump fuel without the line being clamped.

There are disconnects for the crossover fuel line on Harleys that are like an airhose and shut off when you disconnect them. Seems like a good idea if the BMW replacement dont also do this.

Cali, I bought my replacements from A&S right near you. They shut off the fuel when disconnected.

Linz :)

Thanks, I figured the new ones would just like the old ones, but I will have to clamp the line as much as I can becasue once I disconnect the fitting, all my gas will come out. They only stop the gas if you are taking the tank off and leaving the fittings on.

Maybe a dumb question here, But do the fittings you guys replace the stock ones with automatically shut off fuel flow when you unplug them?

In my manual it says you have to clamp the fuel line before disconnecting the fitting. I assume that is because the stock fittings are just open and would dump fuel without the line being clamped.

There are disconnects for the crossover fuel line on Harleys that are like an airhose and shut off when you disconnect them. Seems like a good idea if the BMW replacement dont also do this.

I believe the ones on the 1100 bikes are a bit different. Those didnt have the valve in them to stop fuel from coming out when disconnected. The newer ones are just a mtter of disconnecting, no claming the line. Un fortunately they are still plastic....and then problems like mine occur. I am beginning to remember why I sold my last BMW and went to a Vstrom... :mad:

My '96 1100 RT does not have fuel disconnects. The fuel lines go right from the tank to the plastic fuel injection lines and are held on by a clamp. I have to drain the tank before disconnecting anyway to save weight. Fuel spillage has never been that much of an issue. Stuff happens. :/

My 04 RT started having gas smelling fumes a few weeks ago. I parked it in the driveway and covered. Ordered the brass ones that are mentioned on some of the web sites. Think they were around $8 each. Took 30 min to fix. I did have trouble pulling the plastic valves out of the hose ends. Ended up breaking with pliers and pulling the pieces out with needle nose. Got the FI clamps at Napa. Good luck. Not a big deal but I keep thinking what could happen if you were out on the road and it happened.

Ken Denton

...do the fittings you guys replace the stock ones with automatically shut off fuel flow when you unplug them?

Hi Kmac

The 1150 has the quick release with automatic shut offs.

even though they occasionally crack, the priciple is a very good idea, and makes getting the tank off a real breeze. It is a conversion well worth doing.

Andy

I am now running into the trouble getting the BMW hose clamps off. I got my new all metal fittings but those damn BMW clams are a real PITA. I am goigng to borrow some snips from my work and see if that gets them off, otherwise I may need to put a cutoff wheel on my die grinder. That is some pretty hard steel. Those clamps just laughed at my dikes.

I am now running into the trouble getting the BMW hose clamps off. .

The hose clamps are one shot items, and without the correct tool, decent side cutting snips are man enought to compress and unhook them.

To re-cripm the new ones, nail pulling pliers have been used.

However hight pressure hose clips are probably the best answer.

Andy

I am now running into the trouble getting the BMW hose clamps off. .

The hose clamps are one shot items, and without the correct tool, decent side cutting snips are man enought to compress and unhook them.

I dont see any way to unhook them. They appear to be seemless rings that have been pinched together. It appears the only way to get these things off, is to cut the metal band and remove them.

I have new clamps to replace them. I knew they they would be detroyed in the removal process....I am just having a tough time removing them. I dont want to use my cutoff wheel becasue sparks around a fuel line can be big trouble.

TRIPLE dog dare you.... :P

PS verify your insurance policy covers total loss fires caused by owner error... :dopeslap:

Chicken, sissy, woos....what else..

JK of course

We will require video proof for the Darwin submission! Seriously, I have "power" dykes......upgraded model capable of cutting stainless.

I replaced my plastic connectors early on after snapping one of them taking the tank off for the first time. I had leaks seemingly every time I took them apart and put them back together for a long time. Dreaded taking them apart. I finally replaced both hoses and all o-rings. I swear I read somewhere that you were not supposed to grease the fuel line o-rings....B.S. grease those things or you'll tear them anytime you take them apart.

I still think you like working on bikes more than riding them! :rofl:

I still think you like working on bikes more than riding them! :rofl:

Trust me, this is killing me. All I want to do is ride it and instead its spent more time on the lift than on the road. The garage started smelling like gas after my last ride on it, a very odd smell since I only have one gas can and it got moved outside after the smell. I was pretty pissed when I saw the dis-connects leaking. The last thing I wanted was another repair...or a hundred dollar bill to fly away...LOL This bike is not treaing me well already...

I need a demotivational poster like the Ducati one that says:

"BMW: Turning riders into mechanics since 1921" maybe a picture of a leaky final drive would be in order.... :rofl: hopefully I didnt just jynx my FD... :)On a plus, the bike runs like a champ after my valve adjustment and throttle body synch.

You're just "sorting" the bike out. It's the very best thing which you could do. You'll know that it's done, and done properly.

I Invested in a bag of 5/16th" Oetiker clamps and the dual pinch and side cutter Oetiker pliers when I got into BMW's. If they're good enough for BMW, they're good enough for me.

My main aim was not to be stranded in the middle of nowhere after an internal fuel filter change. The Oetikers, clamp really well.

As an aside, the pliers slice through the original clamps like a knife through butter. I paid $19.00 $AUD for them years ago.

Linz :)

I dont see any serviceablility in the BMW clamps. If you were in a parking lot of a hotel, got a new fitting and were to replace one, i just dont see taking those clamps off with normal hand tools. My dikes were no match for them. I ended up going to HD and getting some snips. That did the job but I wouldnt say they went through them like butter. A set of screw clamps adds to the serviceability IMO. I can now just use a screwdriver to take them off. The only problem is that one of my disconnects came in pieces from the dealer. There were springs and pins....in the bag and the thumb tab was off. I can only hope my dealer is open tommorow. I was hoping to go riding tommorow but that hope is lost now.

I dont see any serviceablility in the BMW clamps

Yep there is a special plier for that type of clamp. I have a Snap-on version, no I don't lend tools. Rumor is the screw type will allow for leakage. I reused the original or bought new, I forget.

I dont see any serviceablility in the BMW clamps

Yep there is a special plier for that type of clamp. I have a Snap-on version, no I don't lend tools. Rumor is the screw type will allow for leakage. I reused the original or bought new, I forget.

I would doubt you will get leakage from screw on clamps. The fittings are barbed to begin with and would probably not leak without a clamp on. Just use some locktite on the threads and call it a day. The BMW clamps are lame. Just about every vehicle I have owned has had a screw type hose clamp...no problems.

Morning Cali,

I like this style of clamps better than the traditional hose clamps. The ones i like are the second ones down under the butterfly ones and above the double wire style.

http://www.tjclamp.com/Hose%20clamp-other.html#mini

The little groves in standard hose clamps for the worm screw can tear up hoses after a while especially on higher pressure stuff. These are stronger and less damaging yet still simple and road side servicable and reusable. ;)

"would doubt you will get leakage from screw on clamps."

ooh, ooh, I remember now. The newer style are HIGH PRESSURE clamps. The old ones that cars used to come with were lower pressure for Carburetors. We gots fuel injection now.

Archived