IGNORED

how to tell if the mechanic is any good

Flagman

Howdy

Living in a remote location makes the choices for a 36k service more difficult. There is a local BMW mechanic here in my town of 75,000 that has a good reputation but not sure he has the diagnostic tools for the 2004 R1150RT. Are there some questions I need to ask him? What special tools does the 36k service require that he might not have or not be able to afford?

thanks

Mark

Flagstaff, AZ

How often does he work on twin spark 1150RT's?

Does he have the MoDiTec diagnostics reader to read fault codes and perform servo bleed test?

Does he have the correct Pre loading tool for installing the late style alternator belt because it is called for replacement at 35000 miles (the replacement is done using a preset distance between the pulleys as opposed to a torque loading of the alternator pivot).

Is he familiar with the intricacies of iABS?

How handy are you with spanners? if you can wield them, then why not do the work yourself. There is a host of info freely available on this and other forums. and an invaluable book to have is a current Haynes manual.

Andy

How many fingers does he still have?

Maybe the best yardstick. :grin:

A good reputation is pretty much everything. It means he is competent and honest. If he runs into something he is not equipped for, he'll tell you.

Torque wrench steps: 1: Easy snug 2: one grunt 3: two grunts.

In lack of a torque wrench the way to get closest to the right snugness is to pick the right length of wrench.

The only routine maintenance that is even mildly challenging on that bike is the servo brake bleed. You're good-to-go as long as he has an idea of how to do that.

ShovelStrokeEd

Paul has it right.

Manuals publish torque specifications for all sorts of fasteners on the bike with about 20% of them actually being somewhat critical. You can easily add an hour or two to a job by running back and forth to the tool box, setting the new specification on the wrench, applying the torque in steps and the like.

There are generic torque specs published by bolt manufacturers with correction factors for aluminum vs steel or dry vs lubricated threads. Once you get a feel for the proper torque to be applied and are using a proper length wrench for the fastener in question, you can leave the torque wrench in the box.

I do torque caliper mounting bolts, any bolt that passes through a gasket and wheel lugs.

Paul has it right.

Manuals publish torque specifications for all sorts of fasteners on the bike with about 20% of them actually being somewhat critical. You can easily add an hour or two to a job by running back and forth to the tool box, setting the new specification on the wrench, applying the torque in steps and the like.

There are generic torque specs published by bolt manufacturers with correction factors for aluminum vs steel or dry vs lubricated threads. Once you get a feel for the proper torque to be applied and are using a proper length wrench for the fastener in question, you can leave the torque wrench in the box.

I do torque caliper mounting bolts, any bolt that passes through a gasket and wheel lugs.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

May I add to recheck the lug nuts after running through a tank of gas. Experienced "elbow torque" is generally pretty close in any bolt assembly. If in doubt, always check after assembly. Sometimes, a beer or two may require it on a hot sunny day. :)

Howdy

Are there some questions I need to ask him? What special tools does the 36k service require that he might not have or not be able to afford?

Besides the already mentioned questions, you may wish to inspect his operation. Does he have pools of oil and rags all over the place with junk parts strewn hap-hazardly in his work areas? (sounds like my garage), or is he neat and orderly? One thing I look for is if he has a top end opened up, or an air box open, does he place a clean rag over these openings to keep out flying insects or shop dirt?

How is he on completing jobs within a specified time? Is he always 3 weeks late getting started or finished with a task? These may be good questions to ask some of his present customers.

However, if you are as entirely anal as I am :eek:, you already possess a good quality torque wrench and use it all the time ;). At my age, I just hate to second guess myself if I can't recall the first guess :rofl:!!

Archived