IGNORED

Schuberth Warrantee

johnlt

I started this separate thread on Schuberth C3 warrantee because I didn’t want to get into the “which is best” or “is it worth it” arguments. There are other threads for that. I’m interested in addressing the warrantee implications of purchasing a C3 from Germany for USA buyers. Fc-moto does indeed sell the C3 for under $500 delivered to the USA. It is $522 minus the VAT of $79 plus $21 shipping for a delivered total of $464 compared to a USA purchase of $700 plus shipping. A considerable difference. I called the new office of Schuberth USA and asked them if they would service or provide warrantee repairs to helmets purchased overseas. Their answer was unambiguously “NO”. They indicated that there was liability issues of working on non-DOT helmets because they are not legal in the USA. They are aware of fc-moto sales and indicated that fc-moto is not an authorized Schuberth dealer and they made a large buy from a overseas distributor and are discounting them. They said that any service or warrantee would need to be sent back to them and that they could not send them to the Schuberth factory but probably could send them back to their distributor for repair if needed but that would involve considerable travel time. I’m sure much of this is trying to protect their sales territory but is of some concern to me because although warrantee service is rarely needed, I did need it once and it was on my C2. I’d appreciate any comments on this issue. Thanks

I've not needed service on a helmet - they ask for proof of purchase ?

They told me they would not do "any" service on one purchased overseas (no DOT) sticker. This includes warrantee and paid service. Paul is right, it's a risk-benefit issue with the benefit being $236.

Just put a DOT sticker on there....

For me, warranties aren't worth a whole lot. Occasionally I'll put one to use. But more to the point, I view it as a statistical statement by the company regarding premature failure. A car with a 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, might be a better choice than one with a 3 year drive train warr. (although you can assume you're paying for that uber warranty...) I make my decisions and assume the warranty will be of little or no actual value.

A relatively small purchase, like a helmet, I figure on self-insuring (meaning I'll pay the $40, or whatever, should a mechanism fail). Thankfully there's not a lot to fail on a helmet.

However. I do recall seeing something about a helmet replacement program Schuberth has. When you use (crash) your helmet, Schuberth will give you a large discount to replace it. Maybe that's worth the extra dough to you?

However. I do recall seeing something about a helmet replacement program Schuberth has. When you use (crash) your helmet, Schuberth will give you a large discount to replace it. Maybe that's worth the extra dough to you?

Yes, they will replace your helmet after a crash for 1/3 the cost of a new one. Pretty good deal.

Is the DOT (US) version of the C3 physically different from the non-DOT (Euro) version? Apart from the certification stickers are there differences in shell shape and thickness? Maybe the DOT version is "better" and therefore worth more.

Is the DOT (US) version of the C3 physically different from the non-DOT (Euro) version?
There is no such thing as "better" certification. DOT (ANSI) certification requires passing a certain set of tests which may be different than the ECE test. Different, not better. This is similar to the discussion about Snell certificates, which are geared more for racing situations and are (correctly, IMHO) criticized for being inappropriate for street use. "Better" is an opinion.

Anyway, to answer your question: I do not know specifically about the Schuberth C3, but in general products carrying various approval labels are the same in developed countries. The difference is in the manufacturer spending a very serious amount of $$$ and time to submit the product to an approvals agency to secure the approval label.

Aside of the cost of the effort spent on securing an approval label, there is also the time lost in the market - where the product is not available throughout the process of certification.

Therefore, a locally-certified product will justifiably have a higher cost. And, as others pointed out, a certification will be used to protect the market for the official distribution channels. In general, a manufacturer will protect the distributors and dealers from "gray" imports.

Having used "gray market" and US-market Schuberth Concept helmets in the past, I can assure you that these models were identical. You will need to decide if the savings on overseas purchase are worth the risk of not being able to use factory warranty. Being due for a new helmet, I am wondering myself...

Interesting post. I have a closet full of helmets from 30 years of motorcycling and car racing. Bells, Simpsons, Nolans, Shoeis, Schuberths, and others.

Never had a single problem with any of them; in fact, until I read this post, I didn't realize that helmets even had warranties. Obviously, the warranty is not a factor when I buy a helmet.

As for ratings, I had to use Snell S-1 rated helmets for car racing, which adds some additional costs for the fireproof lining.

With the new modular helmets that include articulating sun screens and face shields plus chin bars, there are a few more things to go wrong but probably not worth $200+

Yes, they will replace your helmet after a crash for 1/3 the cost of a new one. Pretty good deal.

Two helmets from Fc-moto @ $464 ............................... = $928

USA Sourced helmet @ $700 + crash replacement @ 1/3 price ($233) = $933

Seems like one would need to plan on crashing and still not be as good an average price as the Fc-moto price....

Now if one crashes a lot.........

Archived