IGNORED

Our "ride" along the St. Johns River

Bullett

Jan and I flew out to Jacksonville, FL to visit "the In-Laws."

1133943007_U8ZCx-O.jpg

Jan was looking into things to do and decided it would be fun to take a boat ride on the St. Johns River. He posted a question about this on this site, and Richard_D offered to take us out on his boat.

Our schedules meshed, so on Friday, December 17th we drove down to Aster to meet up with Richard. We met at O'Brien's for breakfast. I can recommend the biscuits and gravy. :)

Then we went over to the boat ramp.

1134049636_9aFL6-O.jpg

Our intrepid Captain, Richard:

1133942762_G3Ke6-O.jpg

and Jan:

1133942285_NPK4p-O.jpg

I didn't get a shot of myself. . . :P

But I did get a few shots of the wildlife:

1133941596_JRXk2-O.jpg

1133941642_jxrQz-O.jpg

1133941978_pyk2Y-O.jpg

1133942039_Kmgju-O.jpg

1133942582_p8gyL-O.jpg

It's still fall in Florida:

1133942596_daxUH-O.jpg

1133941091_LNRN2-O.jpg

1133942252_8q4nD-O.jpg

1133942911_53NBW-O.jpg

On the way back to the boat ramp we saw this modified MG:

1133941429_mZNaU-O.jpg

We really enjoyed meeting another friend from this Board, and hope to be able to show Richard around the next time he heads West.

Nothing like a stealth visit.

Obviously, it's Jan's fault. :grin:

It is not Jan's fault that this is in RIDETALES and there is no motorcycles involved.

:rofl:

Offers were made.

I'm not offended, but if I advertise that I'm coming to Utah, then post pics after the fact without letting anyone know whilst I'm there.... Well, you get the idea.

I used to think Phil was p-u-t-z, but I believe he's passed the t-o-r-c-h.

:grin:

It is not Jan's fault that this is in RIDETALES and there is no motorcycles involved.

Don't play semantics games with me, amateur. <>

The descriptor for "Ride Tales" is "recent ride or gathering with other riders." We "gathered" with Richard_D, what's your problem? :grin:

Danny, I thought about y'all, but I was only there for 2 1/2 days and the only day I got to be "out and about" was the boat ride. Next time, I'm a gonna track you down. :wave:

Don't play semantics games with me, amateur. <>

The descriptor for "Ride Tales" is "recent ride or gathering with other riders." We "gathered" with Richard_D, what's your problem? :grin:

Danny, I thought about y'all, but I was only there for 2 1/2 days and the only day I got to be "out and about" was the boat ride. Next time, I'm a gonna track you down. :wave:

Counselor, you are out of order.

I'm from Alabama, so don't pull that "y'all" stuff on me. I was in John Day, & I tracked you down in a half hour.

Okay, I get it. In 2 1/2 days there's no time to have a get together. Never mind Torrey's 1/10 th the size.

No, we're not offended.

:lurk:

I'm from Alabama, so don't pull that "y'all" stuff on me. I was in John Day, & I tracked you down in a half hour.

Okay, I get it. In 2 1/2 days there's no time to have a get together. Never mind Torrey's 1/10 th the size.

No, we're not offended.

Umm, Danny? Excuse me, but it appears that you read Jan's post about our plans to come to town . . . Linky

No, we're not offended.

I'm such a f*** U*! I thought you were there Danny:

1134201440_pzhFU-O.jpg

My bad.

But without Danny, we did get a chance to have Richard recount the time he rescued Danny from the creek. So it was all to the good!

1134202101_S2Fby-O.jpg

Richard_D and Bullett.

1134201363_uqzcK-O.jpg

As Richard expertly toured us around the river's channels, the boat glided smoothly, in perfect trim. Wildlife was, for the most part, undisturbed by our passage.

1134201467_h9TsG-O.jpg

Although these Sandhill Cranes seemed to prefer manicured lawns.

1134201637_KQz4K-O.jpg

There were lots of Great Blue Herons.

1134201657_phHXF-O.jpg

1134201725_Rc46s-O.jpg

And lots of vultures too.

1134201849_iQVUQ-O.jpg

Also plenty of anhinga.

1134201901_L8B4r-O.jpg

1134201948_wD7KZ-O.jpg

1134201983_SBDtR-O.jpg

I guess this is an anhinga too.

1134202099_K7V5y-O.jpg

1134202158_uEjbG-O.jpg

It was hard to choose between the wildlife lens and one of the landscape lenses. The reflections on the water were as compelling as the birds, and I couldn't help but think I missed the best of them.

1134202333_aRJZP-O.jpg

1134202511_5RSPQ-O.jpg

1134202739_kNeZG-O.jpg

1134202916_UnJ8d-O.jpg

1134202918_AZTeB-O.jpg

All along the river's passages folk had decorated the trees and banks with birdhouses, and other pretties.

1134202922_vzQuG-O.jpg

1134203009_qtMnv-O.jpg

We had to be back for a family dinner in JAX, so we left Richard at the dock in Astor around 4, having finally seen a side of Florida that we had sought and missed several times before. It was truly a journey through a different world for us, an amazing landscape of bald cypress, spanish moss, deep tannic waters, and abundant wildlife.

We made our dinner on time:

1134202586_8duiE-O.jpg

Assorted nephews and a GF, a couple of brothers, dad, stepmom, Sharon, me, in no particular order.

1134202499_ZAX2D-O.jpg

1134202499_ZAX2D-O.jpg

The next day we were down by the river again, in JAX.

1134202637_oaoVQ-O.jpg

They even agreed to pose for me.

Amazing trip.

Thanks Richard! Let me know which of these pics you want, and I'll print a few for you.

Meeting on the boat was a treat. Unlike riding it gave me all day to meet some great people from the board. Beautiful pictures. The best ever taken from my boat. If anyone else want's the tour , please ask. It's the most relaxing thing I like to do . I'll even put a BMW roundel on the boat . :) Danny you were more than welcome , there was plenty of room and it would have been great if you and LL would have come along.

Question for the collective... Why does a Sandhill Crane stand on one leg?

All the photos look ... so familiar. After 25 years in Florida I guess it sort of imprints on my memory card. Thanks for the shots I enjoyed them, but I must announce that we will now bore you with our remembrances of Florida flora and fauna next time we are together.

P.S. I will provide the technical answer to the Sandhill Crane question later.

P.P.S. Jan, Regarding your photo of the birdhouse, the one with the "tin" roof... those were made by a folk artist named Randy Martin. We were his representative for years. We sold well over a thousand of those to people all over the country.

you were able to capture the florida that many of us see and enjoy on a regular basis. thanks for no condo or beach shots.

is it true that richard's boat has port to starboard, fore and aft shag carpeting?

:wave:

Jan and Sharon,

Thanks for the great pictures, brings back great memories of my days stationed in Jacksonville back in the day.

I saw turtles better keep Ken out of there :grin:

Question for the collective... Why does a Sandhill Crane stand on one leg?

Because if he lifted it, he'd fall on his butt?

----

Well, that's good to know!

Archived