IGNORED

Favorite sitcoms

RodB

I just got the news of Steve Landesberg's passing. I remember him well from the Barney Miller sitcom. His straight faced humor and delivery of it was fantastic. (pause)

This got me thinking about other favorite sitcoms.

What are your favorite past or present sitcoms?

If I were to list only 4, they would be:

- M*A*S*H

- Cheers

- Taxi

- Seinfeld

Feel free to add any favorite quotes also.

Seinfeld

Seinfeld

Seinfeld

Seinfeld "Do you realize that there's only a thin layer of gaberdine........."

"There real and they are fabulous"....

And, of course.........."No soup for you".......

Mash was weak. Bunch of liberal anti war BS. I liked your other choices, though.

All in the Family was the best ever, with Sanford & Son a close second.

Oh, to want for the days before PC.

Mash was weak.

All in the Family was the best ever

All In The Family was so incredibly weak! If you ever get to see the British show it was copied from you will be shocked how weak the US version was. (Til Death Us Do Part)

MASH

Black Adder

Fawlty Towers

Seinfeld

Mash was weak.

All In The Family was so incredibly weak! If you ever get to see the British show it was copied from you will be shocked how weak the US version was. (Til Death Us Do Part)

Please, show me where I can find it. The less PC, the better.

If you ever get to see the British show it was copied from you will be shocked how weak the US version was. (Til Death Us Do Part)

Just thinking about a British Archie arguing with a British meatball son-in-law makes me chuckle. I will try to get my hands on some of these shows.

Mash was weak.

Please, show me where I can find it. The less PC, the better.

It's available on Netflix and Amazon, make sure you get the right thing "Til Death Us Do Part" not "Til Death Do Us Part", the star is Warren Mitchell but Amazon has that wrong! Look at the picture on Netflix first if you decide to buy it.

Absolutely nothing PC about it, blatantly racist and anti-semetic, anti-gay and disrepectful of women, all of which it was intended to bring attention to of course, though they spare nothing and don't preach. The only problem you might have is that it is done with a strong east London accent, hopefully they haven't dubbed or censored it.

edit: just noticed that this is from the 1972 series - it actually started in 1966, I've added it to my Netflix queue.

edit 2: I don't remember but it is almost certainly anti-American too, the US was not popular in the UK in the early 70s.

On my list I forgot the brilliant Only Fools and Horses - best of the lot of them.

I used to cry I laughed so hard at Fawlty Towers, hard to believe there were only 12 episodes. Mr Bean was pretty funny too, the time he tried to drive a Mini Cooper thru London sitting in a stuffed chair on the roof with a broomstick and twine was rare stuff. :grin: Check it out on youtube.

For longevity and great characters, it has to be Seinfeld.

Absolutely nothing PC about it, blatantly racist and anti-semetic, anti-gay and disrepectful of women, all of which it was intended to bring attention to of course, though they spare nothing and don't preach. The only problem you might have is that it is done with a strong east London accent, hopefully they haven't dubbed or censored it.

edit: just noticed that this is from the 1972 series - it actually started in 1966, I've added it to my Netflix queue.

edit 2: I don't remember but it is almost certainly anti-American too, the US was not popular in the UK in the early 70s.

On my list I forgot the brilliant Only Fools and Horses - best of the lot of them.

Bob, we surely disagree on some fronts, but I'm sure I'll laugh me arse off on this one. Can't wait to see it when I have time after Christmas.

O...M...G google youtube til death do we part. I particularly liked the Jesus was English bit. :rofl:

Til Death Us Do Part

"it's Swiss(swees), none of that foreign rubbish"

Sitcoms:

Sons of Anarchy

Home Improvement

Fall Guy

Walker texas Ranger

A-Team

Dukes of Hazzard

McGuyver

I have really got into the, "Howe & Howe Tech" show. The engineer in me loves this.

O...M...G google youtube til death do we part. I particularly liked the Jesus was English bit. :rofl:

Til Death Us Do Part

Just watched (ha) that one myself, funnier than I remember with less profanity, of course it's been 30 years since I saw it last. The other thing is you are going to miss a lot of the references - in this skit he talks about "Enoch's 2000" - the racist member of parliament Enoch Powell proposed a scheme where all non-whites would be offered #2000 to go 'home'.

I love Lucy

The Honeymooners

The Dick Van Dyke Show

All in the Family

Taxi

Mary Tyler Moore Show (Ted? OMG)

Cheers

Frazier

Seinfeld

The Simpsons

Til Death Us Do Part

Just watched (ha) that one myself, funnier than I remember with less profanity, of course it's been 30 years since I saw it last. The other thing is you are going to miss a lot of the references - in this skit he talks about "Enoch's 2000" - the racist member of parliament Enoch Powell proposed a scheme where all non-whites would be offered #2000 to go 'home'.

OMG! That was a reference to reality? :grin:

I'm currently on the way through the complete series of "'Allo, 'allo", "Are you being served", and "Dad's Army". Recently watched the complete "Rising damp". Presumably none of these are known in the USA.

The series "Steptoe and Son" was also un-PC and preceded "Til death us do part" (I think). I recall watching it in the mid 1960's.

My life is my favorite sitcom. I think at the end of the

show I die laughing. At least thats what the script says.

Actually my favorite sitcoms

Mash

Faulty Towers

Leave it to beaver

Francois_Dumas

I list them as ones I could STILL see and laugh about..... others have run their time and aren't funny anymore

Fawlty Towers

Blackadder

'Allo 'Allo

Dad's Army

Yes Minister

Keeping up Appearances

As for the US, I liked The Flintstones.

Seinfeld escapes me for some reason..... :-)

I agree with many of the above, but I've never laughed as hard as when I've watched "Curb Your Enthusiasm.". I haven't watched the watered down version that's now widely syndicated, but I can't imagine it without the language that passes muster on HBO.

"Al Bundy" is still my hero!

"Honeymooners" Art Carney was a crack-up. The golf lesson was classic -"Hello Ball"

I had "Archies" name engraved on all my tools at work for years. No one stole em.

Most all episodes of "Seinfeld" I have "Kramers" painting in our guest bath. I couldn't go for "The George"

and current, "Larry David" is a hoot if you can get by some of the spin and language

I'm currently on the way through the complete series of "'Allo, 'allo", "Are you being served", and "Dad's Army". Recently watched the complete "Rising damp". Presumably none of these are known in the USA.

The series "Steptoe and Son" was also un-PC and preceded "Til death us do part" (I think). I recall watching it in the mid 1960's.

For some reason Are You Being Served became popular in the US (among those that watch PBS anyway), not one of my favourites. If you did like Are You Being Served try to find Some Mothers Do 'Av 'Em which is funnier in my opinion but might be a bit too British for US audiences.

Steptoe and Son was great, didn't quiet have the cutting edge of Til Death though.

I have a bunch that I've enjoyed over the years. In relative date order.

"I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners"

The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Cosby Show (tied with Seinfeld for my favorites)

Seinfeld

Everybody Loves Raymond

The Office

Mork and Mindy just misses my best of the best list.

bENNY hILL #1

what's the big deal about Seinfeld ?

Never figgered it out - ever.

I never liked Seinfeld either.

:S

But that was the brilliance of Seinfeld, it couldn't be "figured out" or "gotten", because it was about "nothing".

+1 on "Curb" - but I'm surprised it's taken 2 pages to get to "Monty Python's Flying Circus." Who is funnier than John Cleese, I ask you?

After seeing the Americanized "Top Gear" I'm now convinced that any American TV exec that tries to copy a British show should be shot on sight.

-MKL

+1 on "Curb" - but I'm surprised it's taken 2 pages to get to "Monty Python's Flying Circus." Who is funnier than John Cleese, I ask you?
MP wasn't a sitcom though.

Strictly speaking, you're correct Bob. I agree. I just want to put it out there since to me there has never been anything close in terms of outright comedy genius.

-MKL

Hated Seinfeld...

Soap - aliens, gays, killers who turn invisible, dummies and Benson

Barney Miller - Dietrich and Wojohowicz, Fish and Harris

Cheers - Coach, unemployed beer drinkers, a country boy in the big city and NORM!

WKRP in Cincinnati - what could be better - a hippy, a mellow brother, a receptionist with attributes, and great hair. "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Strictly speaking, you're correct Bob. I agree. I just want to put it out there since to me there has never been anything close in terms of outright comedy genius.

-MKL

Could be. If you like John Cleese and haven't seen them, watch Fawlty Towers, he and his wife wrote and played in all of them. They were shown here on PBS in the late 80's and early nineties I believe.

After seeing the Americanized "Top Gear" I'm now convinced that any American TV exec that tries to copy a British show should be shot on sight.

-MKL

Yeah, the U.S. version struck me as pretty lame. Some things just don't translate.

John Ranalletta

Are You Being Served

Good god, there ought to be a law that a show can't be rerun after the casts' bones have turned to dust.

This series has played on Indy's PBS station since Lincoln was shot.

Gosh, where to start? I love TV, especially sitcoms.

My top 10 (in no particular order):

Mash

Frasier

Friends

Big Bang Theory

Scrubs

Three's Company

Happy Days

Perfect Strangers

Family Ties

Mad About You

Archived