IGNORED

clutch developed a "ticking" sound

robert wagner

robert wagner

I went for a ride today,upon parking the bike, shifted into neutral and let out the clutch and heard a "ticking" sound....pulled the clutch in and the sound went away. What would cause this? All fluids are full and fresh. Bike is a 1996 R1100R, 75000 miles..thanks for any help.

Robert

Jerry Johnston

It's normal for it to sound like a rattle, don't know about the ticking. Should only there when in neutral if it's the transmission, caused by gear teeth vibrating together.

So what is new, as in what work has been done recently?

You never heard it before?

Are you certain?

I got worried if my boxers didn't tick.

A common tick tick tick from the RH side is the throttle body cam tapping against the stop. This usually due to incorrect cable adjustment on a TBS. You probably only notice it when the clutch is pulled in and the gearbox isn't rattling around ;)

A common tick tick tick from the RH side is the throttle body cam tapping against the stop. This usually due to incorrect cable adjustment on a TBS. You probably only notice it when the clutch is pulled in and the gearbox isn't rattling around ;)

You can confirm this by squeezing the throttle body with your hand over the axis the butterfly valve rotates on; it will made the ticking stop.

You can confirm this by squeezing the throttle body with your hand over the axis the butterfly valve rotates on; it will made the ticking stop.

Or by trying to move the pulley with your fingers. If it has play you can move it.

How can an incorrect adjusted cable do this? The spring gets the plate to rest on the screw at all times. If the shaft is worn you get the ticking. I get no ticking with new shafts now :)

Dan

Dan,

An incorrect amount of slack (or none at all!) would definitely cause it. I have heard this on low mileage bikes after a poorly done TBS service. On my R1100R, it is very easy to adjust but with an RT (after all the Tupperware is slapped back on), a royal PITA :eek:.

Maybe Natalie Woods is trying to get your attention.

(Yeah maybe I have a warped sense of humor----sorry----couldn't resist---too many Baileys made me do it)

Ticking you say?

Wasn't a 'special' from Achmets Ticket to Paradise Cycle World (they go like a bomb!) was it?

Yes, yes, I'll get my coat, it's the one lined with copper tubing...

Archived