IGNORED

ACTUAL K1600 PRE-ORDER PRICES

ka5ysy

Merry Christmas all:

Our dealership received the pre-order prices for the new bikes today. These will be loaded bikes with the "premium package" on both:

K1600GT = $26,035.

K1600GTL= $26,340.

Add TTL depending on where you live and its 30,000 +.

you've got to hand it to BMW - their timing is impeccable - introduce a $30K bike when the world is still reeling from recession. Brilliant!!

O.K., I'll bite. If you were running BMW Motorad, what would you have done?

Merry Christmas all:

Our dealership received the pre-order prices for the new bikes today. These will be loaded bikes with the "premium package" on both:

K1600GT = $26,035.

K1600GTL= $26,340.

Same price (+/-) for both? Really?

305 bucks more for the electric kickstand, all the luggage, rear pillion lazyboy chair, whatever extra nav systems and stereo equipment, electric/hyd suspension system...seems like alot for 305 bucks...

can i purchase a few of those extras for 300 bucks and retro fit them to my antique....?

you've got to hand it to BMW - their timing is impeccable - introduce a $30K bike when the world is still reeling from recession. Brilliant!!

O.K., I'll bite. If you were running BMW Motorad, what would you have done?

Well, I probably would not have thought to build 6 cylinder motorcycles.......But it is not the first time I would have been way behind the next big thing. I am still riding an R1150RT and a KLR, after all.

Other options include:

2011 Honda Accord EX-L sedan

2011 Miata Touring plus a $1,000.00 worth of gasoline

2011 Ford Fiesta with $10,000 to spare

2011 Ford Mustang with 305 HP, 6-speed

2008 BMW CPO 335i Sedan with 30,000 miles

or

2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 plus a 2011 Nanji ZX-6R

43 Chinese Scooters of assorted brands

Cardiac Pacemaker by Triology (1996 model)

Two new 14-foot pontoon boats

675 years of membership to the BMWMOA

But I forget, this is a state-of-art BMW Motorcycle....

What was I thinking???????????

You would think they would have learned from their pricing strategy regarding the S1000RR. Bring it in low. Take the short margin, but get them out on the road where they can be seen by other riders.

This is not a first bike for anyone. It will appeal to those who already ride and nothing, absolutely NOTHING beats the recommendation of a fellow rider.

Product, Price, PLACEMENT and Promotion. #1 and #4 by themselves won't cut it.

DOUBLE the price of their world-class superbike? For what? Plastic cladding, plastic bags, and electronics. HUGE mistake IMO. We'll see.

I went on Honda's site a while back, and priced out a fully loaded Gold Wing (ABS, GPS, etc.). It was right around $30,000. If you want that style bike, the new 1600 is in the same ball park.

Yup, all BMW has to do is to build a better Gold Wing. When the K1200LT came out in 1999 it was. I think they are doing it again.

10-4. Also they're fully aware of who their market is and who will buy it. And if it's loaded up for that price and doesn't do well initially, it gives them the option of offering a base model later for less, which they'll probably do regardless.

The SLS AMG is sold out for a long time at $183,000. After a year or two you'll be able to get one with only 400hp for considerably less. Marketing 101, GM did it with the new Camaro, when you've got something you know certain people will want regardless of price, let er rip, then back off later a little with less content for a secondary market.

And yet Chrysler did the opposite with the PT Cruiser. First year sold well, and over the next few years they added bigger engines, upscaled features and I believe even a convertable to attract the secondary buyers. You could say that Ford did that with the original Mustangs also. Every year they got bigger and badder until they turned into overblown pigs.

----

The difference is the K16, SLS, and the new Camaro (exc. for Corvette) are positioned as flagships of the line. PT Cruisers and small-engined Mustangs are near the other end. It's the same principle, just in reverse.

Both method are common but for different reasons. Like somebody said, opposite ends of the food chain.

Build an awesome SS Camaro with a vette motor in it for 30k and make people want it, then later offer the same looking car with a plain jane package and v6 engine for 20k ish so average Joe to buy and THINK they are in the fast SS.

But the PT is the other end of the horse. It comes out with a certain amount of hype, style and anticipation, but quickly falls short of the hype and they have to keep offering upgrades to try and keep interest in the car. IE turbos, convertibles, "sport" packages and lower prices with more ammenities.

But then some vehichles fall into the middle somewhere. The model comes out, sells and only has minor refinements over a long run until it is completely made over years later.

That is where i see most BMW bike models. They build a new model, run it for a while with little to no changes,(some repairs for weaknesses are usually made) and then completely remodel it.

Think RMZ450 as opposed to DRZ400. 450 changes almost every year out of market neccesity, where the 400 has remained virtually unchanged for almost 15 yrs. We call it in the dirt bike world-"BNG" =Bold New Graphics.

I think of the GS/GSA or the RT. Over the years they built the model, ran it for a few years at least, then remodel it and run that for a while. BMW fits somewhere in the middle of the other extremes.

Try and find a SS for 30K. Not where I live. 32K for a stripped one if you can find it. Most are going for 36-38K. After buying a 2009 Suburban, I will skip GM. Chincy interior, crappy programmed 6 speed auto and a pig. The 5.3 has no torque. Not enough for a 6000lb vehicle. For my money I'd buy a Mustang with a 5.0 V-8. a better all around car. No use getting a V-6. The problem is, even though these new v-6s make good horse power, they don't make a lot of torque and you have to rev the crap out them to get power. My suburban should have had a 7L engine with 4.10 gearing. Of course it would make mileage standards, but it would go better.

Both method are common but for different reasons. Like somebody said, opposite ends of the food chain.

Build an awesome SS Camaro with a vette motor in it for 30k and make people want it, then later offer the same looking car with a plain jane package and v6 engine for 20k ish so average Joe to buy and THINK they are in the fast SS.

But the PT is the other end of the horse. It comes out with a certain amount of hype, style and anticipation, but quickly falls short of the hype and they have to keep offering upgrades to try and keep interest in the car. IE turbos, convertibles, "sport" packages and lower prices with more ammenities.

But then some vehichles fall into the middle somewhere. The model comes out, sells and only has minor refinements over a long run until it is completely made over years later.

That is where i see most BMW bike models. They build a new model, run it for a while with little to no changes,(some repairs for weaknesses are usually made) and then completely remodel it.

Think RMZ450 as opposed to DRZ400. 450 changes almost every year out of market neccesity, where the 400 has remained virtually unchanged for almost 15 yrs. We call it in the dirt bike world-"BNG" =Bold New Graphics.

I think of the GS/GSA or the RT. Over the years they built the model, ran it for a few years at least, then remodel it and run that for a while. BMW fits somewhere in the middle of the other extremes.

The difference is the K16, SLS, and the new Camaro (exc. for Corvette) are positioned as flagships of the line. PT Cruisers and small-engined Mustangs are near the other end. It's the same principle, just in reverse.

Mustangs in the 60's were not at the non-flagship end, they were the the pride of the fleet but as they did their steroid thing in the early 70's they became the "other end".

Given the small price difference between a camaro and a corvette, especially a one year old vette, I'd rather buy the vette. The Camaro weighs how much? More like a battleship.

Merry Christmas all:

K1600GT = $26,035.

K1600GTL= $26,340.

I guess I'd like to know where the pricing came from. As of this morning we don't have the price at our dealership

I imagine my dentist will buy one. One day he will drop off his LT for service, see the 1600 for the first time and ask, "what's this"? A couple days later when he comes to pick the up the LT he'll ride home on the 1600. And he will love it. Trust me.

Exactly..? roadscholar, Quin and I brought the Camaro, PT cruiser thing as a comparison of BMWs market strategy of entering with the Top of the line and backing down later on ammenities or coming in cheap and increasing options and price. Or just making a good showing and sticking with it.

I never intended on a car discussion. :eek:

Dont GET ME started on my feelings on FORDS... :P I have WAY too many POS fords and WAY too good of fortune with my Chevys...GM man to the bone here...but if we start that convo i will make even less friends here than i already have....so i will shut up now.

We have a local BMW club member that ordered one 2 years ago, but he had no idea it was going to be a 6 cylinder. He has an LT and just wanted to put money down on the next generation of LT when it comes out.

I will have to talk to him to verify if he is still in. LOL.

I was a GM person. I grew up with Chevy and Rockets...Olds that is. A W-30 kind of guy. I just find that American car manufacturers build to a price point by squeezing vendors that produce components that have a built in obsolescence at best, and usually after the warranty is over (I had a 2003 Windstar that went through power steering pumps and alternators). I just don't see the quality in my 2009 Suburban that justifies what it cost me, especially since it's showing wear sooner than I would have thought (seats, rust on the frame and other nuts and bolts, body mouldings). On the other hand, I have a 2001 Jetta that has been almost flawless. Just brakes, tires, oil, one timing belt and an O2 sensor. If I didn't need the Suburban for the family (5 kids), I'd get an Audi or BMW. Much better quality and they aren't like an appliance. I did test drive a new supercrew platinum and 5.0 GT and the interiors is much nicer than the GMs. I was impressed. Dodge, not so much. Worse than GM in terms of fit, finish and datedness.

Exactly..? roadscholar, Quin and I brought the Camaro, PT cruiser thing as a comparison of BMWs market strategy of entering with the Top of the line and backing down later on ammenities or coming in cheap and increasing options and price. Or just making a good showing and sticking with it.

I never intended on a car discussion. :eek:

Dont GET ME started on my feelings on FORDS... :P I have WAY too many POS fords and WAY too good of fortune with my Chevys...GM man to the bone here...but if we start that convo i will make even less friends here than i already have....so i will shut up now.

Just bought the wife a new Chevy Traverse. LS base model without all of the farkles. Comes well equiped with FT n Rear AC/heat, nice stereo w10 speakers, 8 airbags, durable seat fabric that is very scrubable albeit NOT the fanciest, abs, trac. control, XM, basically everything i want and need in a family car except a GPS which i dont really like anyway.

It get 20mpg ish in combined driving and we have gotten 24mpg out of it on the hiway. It is very peppy and feels well built. We love it. EVERY Ford I personally have owned or driven as a companyn car or truck has been a POS...bad rack and pinions and PS pumps, blown freeze plugs, blown trannies, warped drums n rotors, just horrible fortune with the "F" word for me. I have had 7 Chevys over the past 26 years, El Caminos, Suburbans, Astro vans, and multiple trucks, and all have had minimal trouble for the abuse i put them thru.

Personal deal for me. I have had trouble with a scion, 2 of my 4 toyota trucks and volkwagon Scirroco, as well as my aerostar and ford trucks. I am a Chevy guy for life, done deal. Oh and I love my Jeep wrangler...

You would think they would have learned from their pricing strategy regarding the S1000RR. Bring it in low. Take the short margin, but get them out on the road where they can be seen by other riders.

This is not a first bike for anyone. It will appeal to those who already ride and nothing, absolutely NOTHING beats the recommendation of a fellow rider.

DOUBLE the price of their world-class superbike? For what? Plastic cladding, plastic bags, and electronics. HUGE mistake IMO. We'll see.

I tend to agree. BMW's USA website lists the base price of a K1300GT at $19,150 and the GT with the Premium Package at $22,595. If I understand the OP, the bikes coming in will all have the Premium Package, starting at $26,035. So, depending on what you use as the point of comparison--the lowest price for a K13GT or the price of a somewhat equivalent iteration to the K16GTs that will soon hit dealerships--the price increase is either 15% or 36%.

No matter how you look at it, it's an astounding price increase. If you compare the new models against the K1200LT, with an MSRP of $21,700, it's no less surprising. I wish BMW success with the new models, but this pricing will probably knock the K16-series bikes out of consideration for me.

My Suburban is a LT. I don't care for Toyotas. The japanese version of GM. As far as the Jeep goes, Wranglers are interesting. I like the Rubicon, but they are underpowered and if you don't get the Rubicon, the axles aren't the best for lifting. it might be fun to get a wrangler and put a hemi in it. As far as a Scirocco goes, thats a 30 year old car. I still would spend a few extra shekels for a nice used Q7 than a new Traverse.

Just bought the wife a new Chevy Traverse. LS base model without all of the farkles. Comes well equiped with FT n Rear AC/heat, nice stereo w10 speakers, 8 airbags, durable seat fabric that is very scrubable albeit NOT the fanciest, abs, trac. control, XM, basically everything i want and need in a family car except a GPS which i dont really like anyway.

It get 20mpg ish in combined driving and we have gotten 24mpg out of it on the hiway. It is very peppy and feels well built. We love it. EVERY Ford I personally have owned or driven as a companyn car or truck has been a POS...bad rack and pinions and PS pumps, blown freeze plugs, blown trannies, warped drums n rotors, just horrible fortune with the "F" word for me. I have had 7 Chevys over the past 26 years, El Caminos, Suburbans, Astro vans, and multiple trucks, and all have had minimal trouble for the abuse i put them thru.

Personal deal for me. I have had trouble with a scion, 2 of my 4 toyota trucks and volkwagon Scirroco, as well as my aerostar and ford trucks. I am a Chevy guy for life, done deal. Oh and I love my Jeep wrangler...

Has anyone confirmed what the prices will be?

I tend to agree. BMW's USA website lists the base price of a K1300GT at $19,150 and the GT with the Premium Package at $22,595. If I understand the OP, the bikes coming in will all have the Premium Package, starting at $26,035. So, depending on what you use as the point of comparison--the lowest price for a K13GT or the price of a somewhat equivalent iteration to the K16GTs that will soon hit dealerships--the price increase is either 15% or 36%.

No matter how you look at it, it's an astounding price increase. If you compare the new models against the K1200LT, with an MSRP of $21,700, it's no less surprising. I wish BMW success with the new models, but this pricing will probably knock the K16-series bikes out of consideration for me.

Given the OTD price of my RR was $17k, an OTD price of only $11k more for the uber-tourer K16 seems like one helluva bargain to me.

Even though I can't see myself on a K16 (anymore than I can see myself driving a Cadillac), I hope it catches on. Perhaps it will interest some Wing/HD customers who weren't attracted to the K*LT bikes.

Pre-ordered my 1600GT @ BMW Motorcycles of Omaha for $25,060; will either trade in, or preferably sell my 1200GT (anybody interested, drop me a PM - 23,700 miles plus Corbin seats plus PR2 rear tire :), before the new one gets here.

Rough estimate on delivery: May 2011. Can't wait!

Pre-ordered my 1600GT @ BMW Motorcycles of Omaha for $25,060; will either trade in, or preferably sell my 1200GT (anybody interested, drop me a PM - 23,700 miles plus Corbin seats plus PR2 rear tire :), before the new one gets here.

Rough estimate on delivery: May 2011. Can't wait!

That's pretty rich. I am glad I got my RT now instead of waiting for the new Ks to come out. That's not even the GTL. I guess the guestimates of 30K were on target.

Thanks. I HOPE so too, but doubt it. As to 'enjoying her' - I am sure I will; already loved the 1200GT...

As to the price of the 1600... Considering all the pre-order bikes come with everything but the kitchen sink (pretty much all the available options are chosen on them), and my 1200 had an MSRP (w/o traction control and radio) of around $23k, I don't know that the 1600s are what I would call 'overpriced.'

Expensive, yes, maybe. But look at what you're getting for your $$s... In any event, I am excited :)

Pre-ordered my 1600GT @ BMW Motorcycles of Omaha for $25,060 Rough estimate on delivery: May 2011. Can't wait!

Congrats! :thumbsup: I assume no topcase or GPS?

Pat

In response to:

Poster: amz

Subject: Re: ACTUAL K1600 PRE-ORDER PRICES

Pre-ordered my 1600GT @ BMW Motorcycles of Omaha for $25,060;

Congratulations!! What did you get for options?

I think there is a topcase option for the GT. It's probably like the 49L topcase. Who knows, may be the old 49L will work. Good luck with it and good luck selling the 1200.

The GPS & this topcase would add at least 2g on top of the 25 for the bike. It's just how I'd like it set up though! :thumbsup: The seat looks to be a few bucks also.

K1600GT-L_access_04.jpg

Pat

Congrats. I'm liking the GTL but two things are stopping me. First I truly love my 06 RT and can't seem to find a reason not to just keep on ridin. Matter of fact I'm still farkling. Put hyper-lites and hyper-whites on for Christmas. Second, I want a dual sport (KTM EXC, Husky, or G450X), or a bigger adventure bike. Thinking I may buy this then wait for a used GTL in a few years. But making no moves until I test ride the 6 this spring.

Not sure about the top case; I don't like them (weight & balance of the bike gets messed up IMO - too far up & too far back), so I didn't ask.

One thing of note, though - the seating position between the GT and GTL is very different:

The new GT seating position is more like the RT position, less leaned and knees less bent than on the CURRENT (1200/1300) GT.

The new GTL's pegs are slightly more forward, and down, and the handlebars reach back farther, resulting in a much more upright riding position.

-A.

I sat on the new GT at the Long Beach IMS show and noticed that it felt very much like my present RT. Also, I noticed that the rear luggage rack looked identical to the RT's - it's quite possible that the current 49L and 28L cases will fit right on.

CGameProgrammer
The preorder bikes have all the options avsilable. Grip and seat warmers. ABS, ESA2, traction control and ride modes. Radio...

They have all options, yes, but not any accessories. So you'd pay more to get the GPS itself (only the interface to it is included) or to get the topcase for the GT.

Archived