IGNORED

Modular Helmet Recomendations

cali_beemer

hate to say it but MotorcycleGear.com... formerly newenough.com... has them new, on sale at about $130... free shipping. Just came out. (HJC, Symax 2... the helmet comes with a very nice tinted and retractable visor

darn..I just bought a AGV Miglia. Its a nice helmet, lightweight and quite but Symax 2 would have been better with more air flow and builtin sun visor..time to convince myself for another lid ;-)

BTW if anyone prefers AGV Miglia, extremesuply.com has them on sale for 109.99 shipped.

GOt my Symax II this week, Yee-haaa! :)

This is my first modular helmet.

I got mix results /hapines factor.

Large ear pockets, I can even fit my behind the neck style headset on. little pocket in the ear cavity area to put speakers in , this is super nice compare to my Shoei.

with the chin bar raised , the helmet feels open comfortable to move around, not closed in.

Latching mechanism is simple and easy to operate wit one hand.

The integrated sunvisor is the best! it actually has 3 down position, the 3rd position does not reveal it self ( i found it on you tube - -you push the release button and push the shield forward and it will click on more lower position. Glasses can be worn under the sun visor.

The built in sunvisor and a HJC tinted shield works great in combo - you can customize darkness shade yet optical clarity is still great.

Now the bad. It is noisy big time.

the visor detent mechanism is cheap (not spring loaded) just plastic sliding on plastic. the shield is loose in each position. opening and closing is not easy, almost a two hand operation. (compare to my shoei.

So .... it is not bad , but i will be looking for other module helmet in the future.

Hey, a guy can never have enough helmet, right?

Got it? ..girls . and their shoes?

:rofl:

PS: i will be checking out the new Bell revolver.

I ended up giving up hope on a modular helmet, so I ended up buying a Bell Star 2010 full face. So far it has the best venting of any helmet I have used by far. Its fairly light by using some Kevlar and carbon fiber. It's snell 2010 approved and also received a 5 star rating on the Euro tests. Best of all, it fits well.

After my fit issues with my Nolan, I agree. If the helmet doesn't fit, it doesn't matter what features it has... It's a nice helmet, but just doesn't fit my head shape properly.

I have modified helmet cushions by using a leather stitching tool to pull some of the "cushiness" backwards/flattened with one or two stitches for extra comfort... it's easy to do, BTW... if anyone is interested I could probably post some pics.

:lurk:

In response to popcorn eating post above, I like to have some (popcorn) please.

What is the meaning posting just the popcorn eating dude? Just curious?

I like to see , please post some pics.

Aperture Science Laboratories->Enrichment Center

2005 RT, KTM 250XC-F

In response to:

Poster: There will be cake.

Subject: Re: Modular Helmet Recomendations

Originally Posted By: Lmar

lurk

In response to popcorn eating post above, I like to have some (popcorn) please.

What is the meaning posting just the popcorn eating dude? Just curious?

I'm waiting for some pics that you requested.

Okay.. here's some pics.. this is the "cheek" pad from an HJC Draco Full Helmet, I used to wear.. Everything felt good but my FAT cheeks were being squeezed to death... and I wore this helmet for awhile. Look at the top right corner, you'll see an upside down "L" shape, this is where I added two "stitches" to pull-back the padding.

cheekpad.jpg

This is the backside of the pad, you can see the two stitches, tied. The holes you see in the plastic is from other spots that I first tried and they weren't satisfactory, plus at the start I thought it would be necessary to "hand-drill" little holes first, I found this unnecessary on every helmet I have done this on so far, the awl needle is PLENTY strong to pierce the plastic backing.

backcheekpad.jpg

And this is a awl for leather stitching, (I purchased this from a Hobby Shop that had leather crafting tools, Craft stores may have them, I believe the company is "Tandy") All I do is plunge it from the pad side through the back, pull back some thread, pull the needle back and then move over to where I want to "plunge" again, push it through and then cut-off some thread. You then just pull it tight and knot it and the cheek pad is now "pulled back." Once I got the hang of it, it was easy as could be and then you can custom fit your helmet to your face, where necessary.

awl.jpg

F.Y.I. HJC cheek pads can be purchased in three different thicknesses... so that you can get a good fit on your cheeks. Fairly low cost too. There is a local independent shop here in SLC where you can buy them, or of course mail order.

F.Y.I. HJC cheek pads can be purchased in three different thicknesses... so that you can get a good fit on your cheeks. Fairly low cost too. There is a local independent shop here in SLC where you can buy them, or of course mail order.

Now you tell me!!! ;-) hehe

Nah, it was so easy to fix them, no biggie.

Archived