IGNORED

Modular Helmet Recomendations

cali_beemer

I am looking at modular helmets as an option to replace my HJC full face. I have the carbon fiber model full face now and I have grown attached to the light weight of this helmet. I started looking at modular helmets. Can anyone recomend a good modular, light weight helmet? I have tried on a Nolan (not sure the model, but I think it was the 90), an HJC Symax 2 and a Shoei Multitec. So far the HJC has fit the best and seems the easiest to operate. However, I know HJC helmets arent the highest end in head protection. I would eventually like to try the new Scorpion but I havent found one on the shelves. I have heard alot of good things about Nolan but the one I tried didnt fit well. Do all their helmets use the same molds? I like their helmets but I need to find one that fits. I get concerned with noise on a modular and I hate that I cant try these until I have bought one. Opinions needed for quiet, lightweight, easy to operate, durable....modular helmets. I have never really looked closely at this style but I figured, its time to try one.

"Opinions needed for quiet, lightweight, easy to operate, durable....modular helmets."

I'm afraid you'll have to design one :) Modular helmets by design are heavier because of the extra parts and noisier because of extra joints. I don't think weight is a big problem and ear plugs fix the noise. For many years now I use variations of the Nolan 100 series. Quality and ease of use is good. I think I have a Nolan head. If you want light and quiet, check out the Nolan N43 Trilogy. I got mine a few month ago and really like it. Only now with real cold I'm wearing the flip-up again. The N43 has the removable chin bar, but even with the bar in place it feels like a open flip-up.

I like the Scorpion EXO 900 modular. Not the lightest but rated "best buy" and quietest in a recent MCN magazine comparison test. It's a whole lot cheaper than the Shoei ($279.00 vs $450.00 approx) and the testers liked it better all around. Inflatable cheekpads and fog free faceshield too. It also has a retractable sun visor which I like a lot as you can ride at slow speed with the faceshield up and get some air to your face without getting blasted in the eyes. The venting is also better than most.

Hope this helps

The big Cycle Gear store off of Madison/I80 in Sacramento has the Scorpions in stock, I was trying them on just the other day. I like my full face Scorpion but it's due for a replacement. They tend to run on the small side or it could be that my head is growing fat with the rest of me.

The big Cycle Gear store off of Madison/I80 in Sacramento has the Scorpions in stock

Thanks Troy, I have been meaning to take a ride over there. I didnt know they carried Scorpion.

I have an AGV Miglia which I like. It's very comfortable and quiet and the visor doesn't leak in heavy rain. Motorcycle Consumer News gave it the thumbs up in their testing although they gave the Symax II the top rating.

I don't have a Symax head, it hurst everywhere after an hour but I do like the sun-visor.

Linz :)

I love my Symax II. Works very well, good finish, "reasonably quiet", and fits my head very well. Also great price. As stated above, all mods are noisier than full face. I don't like any wind noise at all, so I use ear plugs 99% of the time.

I have an AGV Miglia which I like. It's very comfortable and quiet and the visor doesn't leak in heavy rain.

I was looking at the AVG Miglia, it looks good but the vent on to looked a bit small. Does it allow enough air flow in hot weather? The examples I looked at had a very nice fit and finish.

Been using the Shark Evoline 2 for 2 years now. A little heavy, a little loud, BUT, I can open the chin bar and leave it open while riding. I really like this feature! drinking , talking, or just in need of more air. My choice! When the weather gets nasty or traffic increases, I close up and keep riding. It's also nice to have the sun shade.

+1 on the evoline. I bought a series 2 a couple of months ago. Here are my impressions:

- Definitely heavier than my Nolan 102E.

- Helmet will shift its weight balance when the chin guard is flipped up.

- About the same noise level as the Nolan.

- Top vent lets some air in but it also introduces noise. I keep it shut.

- Even though it does not have a pin lock fog shield, it has yet to fog on me.

- Bigger shell than my Nolan.

- has not leaked in the rain.

Over all, I wouldn't say it is a great helmet. I would take it over the Nolan simply because I try to ride to work every day. My ride is only 12 miles each way with stop and go traffic so I love being able to ride in the 3/4 configuration. Yet, when I get on the highway, it is raining or it is cold, I flip the chin bar down into a full face config.

a

Hi Troy.

The Miglia doesn't flow air as well as the Symax II but I find it sufficient for my needs. I'd definitely try one on as well as a Symax II before you part with your cash. I do NOT have a Symax II head. It's the correct size but hurts in spots.

The Miglia is really comfortable. It also has sufficient room around the ears to add a comms system.

Hope this helps,

Like U I have a HJC full face.Its a CL-SP and it fits me very well.

I just got back into riding this year and had to pick up a helmet fast.I read threads about all helmets not fitting the same.Heck,10 years ago when I road last you just stuck a helmet on your head and if it didnt fall off U were good to go.Anyway I checked diff sites to see what helmets were good years ago and bought a new CL-SP for $60.Two months of riding and it felt great.OK so I got lucky :grin:Next I purchased a used Nolan 100e modular,not so lucky with that one...two hours into ride and I get a headache.I shaved off some of the foam in the front of the helmet and it helped.But it still did not fit like the HJC.Purchased the Symax 2 at New Enough for $155 and have never looked back.Sorry this is sooo long winded,but sometimes U have to spens a little $ to get it right :thumbsup:

Different helmets fit different heads...

Did you ever notice that some brands of shoes just felt right when you put them on while other brands fit, but were never as comfortable? Helmets are the same. Some heads, when viewed from the top are oval some are round, some are lop sided... so you must try them on.

Turns out that the HJC Symax 2 fits me right, but the Symax does not... go figure.

What this means is go try them on till you find one that feels right to you. Another person's recommendation is interesting but basically useless.

+1 on the evoline. I bought a series 2 a couple of months ago. Here are my impressions:

- Definitely heavier than my Nolan 102E.

- Helmet will shift its weight balance when the chin guard is flipped up.

- About the same noise level as the Nolan.

- Top vent lets some air in but it also introduces noise. I keep it shut.

- Even though it does not have a pin lock fog shield, it has yet to fog on me.

- Bigger shell than my Nolan.

- has not leaked in the rain.

Over all, I wouldn't say it is a great helmet. I would take it over the Nolan simply because I try to ride to work every day. My ride is only 12 miles each way with stop and go traffic so I love being able to ride in the 3/4 configuration. Yet, when I get on the highway, it is raining or it is cold, I flip the chin bar down into a full face config.

a

I must have a lemon...

Leaks in the rain, down the face shield and all over the drop-down sun shade.

I find it to be very non-aerodynamic, compared to a standard full-face. I always get some level of buffeting with it whereas my Shoei TZ-R does not.

I thought I would use the flip-up chin bar more often but about 99% of the time I only use it to make it easier to put-on/take-off.

My next helmet will be another standard full-face....

I was out and about this morning and tried on the Symax 2 and I guess I don't have a Symax head either. The AVG and the Scorpion fit well, unfortunately they were out of the colors I want. I'm in no rush what I have is working.

I have had a N103 for a year now and it is great all year long and I have ridden in some heavy rain and hot weather, with no problems. I purchased it from the helmetshop.com and still wear ear plugs, just to be safe. After 35 years in aviation, I have to protect what little hearing I have left.

Capt'n

I was tempted by the Multitec, but the chin acommodation wasnt great.

Whats your price range?

BMW System 5 or 6 may be good options, but could be very tight fitting on the jawline.

Ive just treated myself to a Schuberth C3. Its got it all. Strangely half-to-one size smaller than Shoei fits me better. Biult in space for intercom, sunshield, pinlock anti-fog, fully removeable lining, Bluetooth option.

IIRC theres even a full-carbon version (chinbar may still be plastic/composite though) if you are particularly flush in the wallet department...

JUst need the snow to go so I can give the C3 its first ride!

I recently purchased the HJC IS-max BT. Blue tooth model.

I got it for $185.00 +tax. It feels pretty light for a modular, and on my head it was the most comfortable of all the modulars i tried on. About the only one i didnt try on is a Shuberth since there are no dealers around here that stock them...at least that i have seen.

I tried the Shoeis, Cmax, ScropionEXO {which i liked}, lazer,nolan, and sevenzeroseven. and the HJC was the nicest to use and most comfortable.

My only complaint is it is a bit noisy. Oddly if i stand up on the pegs and get up out of the windshield buffetting it gets a good bit quieter.

I like it alot other than the wind noise, but i have found that every helmet i use on the RT is noisy. It must be the way the wind comes off of the windshield.

I think you'll find if you get a slightly taller windshield with a "flip" on top like the Cee Bailey it will create a "dead zone" completely quiet behind the shield and still allow you to look over the top of the shield. You can also get a shorter "sport" shiled that puts you in "clean air" as you found out by standing. Either way will work but the taller shield is usually preferred for cold weather riding.

I don't think flip ups are ready for prime time, yet.

First, SHAPE ratings don't put them at the top of the protection list. I'm not one to take a helmet that even closed doesn't rate at the top and then compromise it further by riding with it up. Seen split chin bars on full face types where the user escaped serious injury- takes little to figure what would have happened with a bar up.

Second, I haven't tried all of them but every one I have tried has inadequate room at the front for a mike and for keeping condensation off. These things definitely need pin locks and good anti fog chemicals if you ride in cool humid weather.

I've got a Nolan 103 that is way too noisy even on an RT with ZTech screen. Add that to the above and I never use it. Keep it for guests only- even its bluetooth implementation is poor.

The new Shoei Qwest full face would be one I'd look at if hunting a new helmet- ventilation is king here in NC.

I never ride with the "flip up" section raised, only the shield because it is independent. I can look over the top of the windscreen and still be in perfectly calm air.

I agree on the N-103. I love the helmet function and fit but it is very noisey. My Schuberth is muuuuuuch quieter. Both allow plenty of room for my autocom mic with no issues although I don't use the wind-sock on the mic. In calm air behind my cee bailey, I really don't need it.

Japachap, was it the Shoei Multi you comparing on the sizing?

I was tempted by the Multitec, but the chin acommodation wasnt great.

Whats your price range?

BMW System 5 or 6 may be good options, but could be very tight fitting on the jawline.

Ive just treated myself to a Schuberth C3. Its got it all. Strangely half-to-one size smaller than Shoei fits me better. Biult in space for intercom, sunshield, pinlock anti-fog, fully removeable lining, Bluetooth option.

IIRC theres even a full-carbon version (chinbar may still be plastic/composite though) if you are particularly flush in the wallet department...

JUst need the snow to go so I can give the C3 its first ride!

I posted a quick writeup of my new Symax2 over on advrider earlier, but in summary, I loved my original Symax (had it for 10 years), and I don't love the new one nearly as much.

IMO the severe fogging (below <40degs and/or in rain) is dealbreaker-severe, and they don't make a pinlock for it. Various defog products didn't help. They don't make a breath guard for it either.

It seems to be a great helmet for warmer temps, but I can't recommend it for cooler weather.. the weight is also more than the original, which isn't great.

If I had it to do over, I'd spend the money on the Schuberth C3..

-d

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger and bought the Scorpion 900. Fit is fantastic and the hyper silver paint looks great. Overall fit and finish is right up there with the major brands and outstanding for a helmet in this price range. I doubt I'll ever use it in its 3/4 configuration but I may give it a try when the temps get over 100 in the summer. At this point I've only used it for about 20 min. on the road and that in a mild rain. No leaks and no noise increase over my FF helmet. I also like that they put some thought into fitting a communication system with recesses for speakers, a boom mic and a cutout along the neck roll for the cable.

Just used our BMW System 6 helmets today again. I'm really happy with mine. The C2's that I had before didn't fit very well, and this one feels better. The C2 was a great helmet but this one is better; lighter, more effective sunshade (covers your whole face if you want), pinlock, quieter.

We tested the C3 first, then the System 6. System 6 was cheaper! (Hard to believe anything with that blue-and-white logo could be priced lower than the competition!). Pretty much the same helmet; basically cosmetic details as far as I could tell.

YMMV.

Russ

Ive just treated myself to a Schuberth C3....

To me, the first consideration is proper fit, then narrow down to other features you're looking for.

I am very happy with my Schuberth C2, and I'm awaiting the hi-vis C3 in the spring.

Modular helmets are a compromise in terms weight/noise level/ fit/convenience. From everything I've read and discussed with others, the Schuberth is the quietest. I would see what fits and go from there.

I just noticed that FC-moto in Germany no longer has that great price on the C3. I think there must have been some factory pressure applied!! I guess I missed the window.

I just noticed that FC-moto in Germany no longer has that great price on the C3. I think there must have been some factory pressure applied!! I guess I missed the window.

You may be right, I no longer see the same pricing as before. I just received the Schuberth C3 Decor Stripes White from FC-Moto and so far can say it's the best helmet I ever owned. The last several years I have worn a Multitec and for my head the C3 fits better, is lighter, has better visability, quieter, better air flow. The large C3 fits slightly smaller than a large Multitec, more like a Shoei RF-1000.

I don't think flip ups are ready for prime time, yet. . . Seen split chin bars on full face types where the user escaped serious injury- takes little to figure what would have happened with a bar up.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!! There seems always to be someone who wants to dis-credit modulars. "takes little to figure what would have happened with a bar up . . ." If someone wants to ride with the bar up that is a choice they make, much like choosing to ride with no helmet. That does not have anything to do with the safety of a closed modular helmet. Where is the data? Imagine this, imagine that. How about some data. There is none to suggest a good modular is less safe than a full face. I have never seen one instance of a modular failing to do its job. If someone has, please post the confirmable details. End of Rant.

Well, I ended up buying a Nolan N103. It seemed to fit a bit better than the other Nolan I tried on, but after my first use I can feel some pressure on my forehead, otherwise I love the helmet. Its definately noiser than my full face but that was expected. I dig being able to lift the chin, and I am amazed at how well it works with the chin up. I am hoping it breaks in a bit and alleviated that pressure, otherwise its back to the drawing board.

You can compress the styrofoam a bit by just pushing/compressing hard with your thumb. It is like a little accelerated break-in.

Well after one day, I am selling the Nolan. There are more fit problems for me than the forehead pressure. After the helmet seemed to adjust a bit, the front dropped a bit and would rest against my chin. Its a very tight clearance in there. The chin strap is a bit tight as well. with all these items, I just decided to jump ship. I found a buyer that is giving me what I paid for it. I really wanted to love the helmet. Its feature rich and has excellent build quality. I may just have to stick to my HJC carbon fiber FF for a bit longer. I may go try the scorpion out, or I may just order a new HJC Symax 2. Not really certain.

Cali..not sure of your budget for a helmet...I used Symax for quite some time and found it very comfortable. I decided to buy a Shoei-Multitec a couple of years ago. It fits very similar to the Symax. It was a bit tight as it was supposed to be, but has settled in nicely. I did have to change the cheak pads to a slightly larger side. I think they cost about $30 for the cheak pads. It is somewhat noisy, but not quite as much as the Symax. The vent on top really works and ventilates the helmet..although it whistles when opened all the way.

I liked my HJC CL-14 so much I decided to buy an HJC CL-Max flip front. I wore it for two years and it was great. When the HJC Symax II came out with the cool internal sunshade I decided to buy one. It was awful and didn't fit well at all. Most noticeably, the chin guard portion seem to be 1/2 an inch closer to my mouth, making it impossible to put my Autocom mic in the helmet. I hated that my moustache and lips were right up against the front of the helmet.

So, I went out and bought a second CL-Max, which I now keep as spare in case the line is discontinued. I am sticking with what works.

The new Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer looks cool. The chin guard can actually come completely off if you decide to use it as a 3/4 helmet, It also has the builtin sunshade as well as inflatable cheek pads for a great fit.

When considering safety, the UK government's SHARP (Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Program) is a good source of information. It's not conjecture, or anecdotal info, it's the results of tests on a wide range of helmets. The results are distilled into a five-star rating system and it has an easy to navigate website (link below). They also explain how they do the tests. Bear in mind, though, that helmets sold in the UK may not be exactly the same helmet as sold in North America, even if it has the same name. As for modular helmets (they refer to them as "system" helmets, as opposed to "full face"), the only one to have achieved a five-star rating was the BMW System 5. Interestingly, the newer System 6 received a four-star rating. I have three helmets, including a Shark Evoline Series 2. The Evoline received four stars, the Shoei Multitech three, the Nolan N103 got four and the HJC IS Max got three. There are a lot more helmet results on the SHARP website. It makes for interesting reading. Short of that, I don't know of another source of independent safety testing and assessment. I don't include Snell, DOT and ECE testing here, in that they assess to determine if a helmet meets the minimum threshold of one of those standards, i.e., it either does, or it doesn't. SHARP allows you to make comparative assessments of different helmets. I'm not going to get into a debate about the validity of their (SHARP's) testing protocol, since that's like asking what's the best oil to use.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

FWIW, Motorcycle Consumer News (IMHO, the BEST, by far, magazine on the market, NO PAID ADVERTISING) did a comparo of modulars.

Some of the heavy's in the market faired poorly, i.e. Nolan, Shoei, Nexx, etc...

Top winners: Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer (my helmet ;-)) and HJC SY-MAX II.

Edit: I'm kinda late to the game posting the MCN report, I see...just read all the posts from the beginning. Oh well... ;-)

Well, I went to the local cycle gear that has virually all helmets there to play with, by far the largest selection of helmets. I tried on a HJC IS-Max mocular. While it had a basic look to it, noting really special, it fit extremely well, better than the Sy-max 2. The vidosor worked well, but most of all the chin bar was by far smoother and easier to use than any other modular I have tried. It worked much better than the Nolan was just smooth and easy. The visor worked great as well and it was lighter than the Nolan (by feel of hand). Needless to say I liked it. My concerns are if it would hold up as well under a collision since it seemes to be more budget minded (not saying more expensive is better). I looked at the Scorpion EXO-900. Personally I was not impressed. It felt heavy, looked cheap and had a horrible fit. The air pump system left me completely unimpressed. I was very dissapointed since after reading great reviews and watching videos, I was excited thinking it might be a great choice. I put on the Shoei Multitech next. It had a great fit and finish, and seemed like a great helemt, and it fit well but it seemed a bit wide on the sides. Knowing the padding will break down, I figured it will be a problem. I tried on a few others and a few brands I have never heard of but all fit bad. The salesman there started to help me and advised me to not buy a modular if concerned for safety. He noted they have even ran a few over with a car and the chin bars snap off. He noted the HJC was the worst and was even able to be broken off by hand. I realize this isnt scientific and of course it came from the mouth of a salesman but the engineer has always held this design aspect in question. So I started looking at full face helmets. I currently use an HJC carbon fiber helmet and its been great, quiet( atleast compared to everything else I have used), comfortable and extremely light with a good visor. HJC has sold the carbon helmet design to Joe Rocket and tried that version on as well. It was absolutely great, like a long lost friend. everythign I loved but in new condition. I have always been skeptical of the HJC quality and started looking at other brands. The salesman reccomended the Bell helmet line and pointed me to the Star model. WOW....super comfortable...everythign I loved in the HJC for comfort but in what was clearly a higher build quality. The salesman personally owned bothe the HJC carbon and the Bell Star. He spoke highly of both, noting the carbon helmet is above the normal HJC quality (noted by the web bike world review as well). He said the Bell had the best venting he has ever used (noted by webbikeworld as the best they have ever tested as well). The Bell is looking better but $550 for a helmet.....hmmm.....I am completely torn. The HJC IS-Max was an incredibly great helmet (reviewed well by webbikeworld) and is only $179....but its my head i dealing with and I dont want to cheap out on safety for my head over a few hundred bucks after I just ordered an $800 seat...LOL....Unfortunately I dont knwo if one would actually hold up better in an impact.

Stephen_Chase

I have used a Shoei Multitec for 2 years and am disappointed in the wind noise department. Nice helmet, just not quiet enough behind the wide windscreen of my R1150RT.

So, I bought a BMW System 6 (in bright yellow). Can't tell you yet how quiet it will be but the fit is a lot more snug, yet comfortable, and the enclosure around the chin and neck much better that the Shoei. It won't be worse, that's fer sure. Plus, it has the built in sun visor & anti-fog screen.

• 2 weeks later...

just some heads up on modular helmet.

Rockymountainatvmc.com --- feb.sale flyer--- has the HJC symax II on sale for $179 + free shiping, my dealers around here has it for $279 which is the msrp on the helmet.

I grabbed one, for that price it is a nice helmet:

large ear pockets for speakers, pulldown internal sunvisor, large eye port opening, six or so visor detent positions.

tinted visor is $30

GIT ONE

PS: I have no affiliation with rocky mont. mc or HJC

hate to say it but MotorcycleGear.com... formerly newenough.com... has them new, on sale at about $130... free shipping. Just came out. (HJC, Symax 2... the helmet comes with a very nice tinted and retractable visor

I bought one for Susie and its here already. Great guys....

Archived