IGNORED

New love in my life

Troy

Hi everyone, let me introduce you to my new love. :grin:

Picked her up on Saturday morning, 2011 R1200RT with all of 14 miles on the clock. The weather in Northern California hasn't been very rider friendly over the last couple of days but I've

managed to add a couple of hundred to that.

Sorry 'bout the image quality cell phone pix...

Photo%20Dec%2020%2C%206%2053%2048%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2020%2C%206%2055%2049%20PM.jpg

This is my first R bike and I loaded it up with ESA, TPM, Top Case, Traction Control, Cruse... Dealer didn't have the GPS mount in stock but that's on its way as well. This is quite a change from the K1200RS, but change is oh so good...

Nice ride! It looks alot like one I had seen at A&S this last weekend. I am not too far from you, just in Folsom. PM me if you want to go for a ride.

I really dig the new 2011 RT's, if I only had unlimited funds....

Nice ride! It looks alot like one I had seen at A&S this last weekend.

Probably one and the same. Picked it up from A&S about 10:00 Saturday morning. They had two in thunder gray only this one had the TPM option and I'm obsessive about tire pressure.

We'll have to hook up for a run up Salmon Falls road/hwy 49 when the weather clears up.

Nice ride! It looks alot like one I had seen at A&S this last weekend.

Probably one and the same. Picked it up from A&S about 10:00 Saturday morning. They had two in thunder gray only this one had the TPM option and I'm obsessive about tire pressure.

We'll have to hook up for a run up Salmon Falls road/hwy 49 when the weather clears up.

I guess I saw its twin without TPM, I was there about 1pm on Saturday. A ride up slamon falls sounds good. I live just around the corner form Salmon Falls Rd sort of near the purple place.

First 200 miles has been a time of adjustment. after all the K12RS has 112,000 (s)miles on it. Power does not come on like the K1200 brick motor. Motor has that twin thump that I haven't had for a long time (20 plus years). It is deceptively fast, it begs for twisty roads and low speed maneuvering is just a dream.

I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

DaveTheAffable
First 200 miles has been a time of adjustment. after all the K12RS has 112,000 (s)miles on it. Power does not come on like the K1200 brick motor. Motor has that twin thump that I haven't had for a long time (20 plus years). It is deceptively fast, it begs for twisty roads and low speed maneuvering is just a dream.

Ahhh.... Another convert from K1200RS to RT. I too have made that jump this fall. I miss the power in that brick, but Oh How I Love the comfort and handling of the RT. It took me a couple hundred mile to ease down on the rpm's a little. After all, your hearing half as many detonations for a given RPM.

Much good wishes!

Hi Dave, I've been away from the board for a while and didn't realize you had made the switch. Perhaps the best part about moving to an R motor is no more rear main seal leaks taking out the clutch.

When I first picked up my RT, it too was quite a change for me. I had a K1100LT for the previous 3 years. At first, I was disappointed in the lack of smoothness, lack of apparent hp, etc. The Boxer is an acquired taste. Eight years and 151k miles later, It would be very difficult for me to ride anything else.

Great looking bike, congratulations! The former 'K' riders posts should help stifle the little voice in the back of your head (at least it would be in mine) wondering if you did the right thing.

Nice bike and color combination.

Just curious, you mentioned you liked the low speed handling, some have posted the bike has a tall first gear, how did you find it for slow maneuvering, say in town with stoplight to stoplight traffic, or parking lots and such?

tia

Al

I have noticed that 1st gear is a bit taller than the old bike's. I'm spending a bit more time in the friction zone while in parking lots and such, but the handling at slow speeds and coming up to a stop, wow. The bike almost stands up all by itself.

I have noticed that 1st gear is a bit taller than the old bike's. I'm spending a bit more time in the friction zone while in parking lots and such, but the handling at slow speeds and coming up to a stop, wow. The bike almost stands up all by itself.

Thanks, I am looking at a R1200 this spring and was wondering about that, I'll be doing a fair bit of in town riding, there's to much snow to go test ride one now, but it sounds like it shouldn't be a concern, thanks.

Will it run ok on a level surface in low gear at a idle?

Al

Will it run ok on a level surface in low gear at a idle?

Al

Yes it does. After reading your question I decided to go out and give it a try in the parking lot here at work. No problems what so ever. My old bike had a bit more drive lash that forced you to balance throttle and clutch in this situation. Th RT just moves along smoothly.

Thanks, while probably a dumb sounding question, I found that many of the bikes I've owned that would do this were fine for stop and go traffic and most parking lots, something I see to often.

With almost three feet of snow on the ground, a test drive is pretty much not happening, so I have time to come up with all these questions, once again thanks for the info.

Not sure where to post this, but Merry Christmas all and a safe and healthy new years.

Al

Archived