IGNORED

This should be simple....

bobbybob

...and probably is. What is the correct way to remove the black plastic spark plug covers (not the coils) on the camhead 2010-> RT & GS bikes ? The 09 and earlier were real simple. This one, not so much--or maybe its just a tighter fit. Just want to make sure they didn't "improve" them by requiring a new tool or something! :dopeslap:

I can't seem to pry them loose with a flat screwdriver....

You need to pull them from the bottom where the wire exits. The pull needs to be straight out (parallel to the cylinder). The cover will then lift up and unlatch from the top. I use a hook tool to ease the pull, they were real tight on my bike.

'use a hook tool to ease the pull,'

Is that the same hook tool you use on your dress shoes?

My 800 is probably not quite the same but the dealer admitted to buggering up the spark plug device and replaced on warranty. To bad they must design for more complicated. I haven't touched the mechanically so they had to be to blame.

Yes, pull from the back, maybe even push in a little when you pull out. My dealer also bugger mine. No way to prove it but he was the the only one to remove them until I did one day and the damage was too extensive for one pull as I knew the trick. A new one costs $15. And they snap back in tight when in good condition. beech

Not the same tool as a shoe puller, but that might work. I made a homemade tool originally for installing side stand and exhaust springs that ended up working well for the covers. That tool has worked well for all these purposes and didn't cost anything but a little quality time in the shop. Basically I took an old sturdy screw driver and ground the tip to a dull point. I then cut a piece of EMT (1/2" galvinized tubing)to 5 inches and center drilled it to fit over the screw driver shaft. Some heating and bending of the tip got the hook shape and some filing formed the hook into the tool I needed. The tubing acts as a "t" handle against the screwdriver handle for good controlled grip for heavy pulls. I'm sure Snap-On makes something similar for $85.00 :grin:

The tool I spoke of is for the cover on the Camheads, not the coil on plug you mention on your F800. On that I use an inexpensive plastic puller BMW sells for a couple of bucks. Marc Parnes sells a much nicer tool to remove the coil on plug made of a more durable aluminum. Considering the cost of damaging the coil the tool is a good investment if you do your own work. The plastic tool is tricky but it has worked for me the last 6 years on my F800GS and both RTs . However, the aluminum one is very nice and reasonably priced at $25. The first broken coil would pay for the tool many times over.

I've got the plug puller of which you speak and if I rummaged about the tool boxes I could probably fine a hook device similar to what you describe.

The sad thing is that one must find so many accessories to do what would seem a simple task.

My boss had horror stories of working on his Tahoe and newer VW Bug. I guess that's why the wrenches at dealerships are now referred to as technicians.

Archived