IGNORED

Schuberth C3 Review (Do I have a helmet fetish?)

BabyCow

I am always searching for the "perfect helmet". I purchased the matt black Scuberth C3 xl from FC-Moto in Germany and had it shipped to Australia for about $US490 inclusive http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=12172221&Currency=USD. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer

I take an xl in Arai and Shoei and own a Shoei X-11 and Multitec, and an Arai RX-7 (Corsair?) McCoy. The C3 helmet has an excellent finish and fits comfortably albeit snugly (which I expect will change as it adapts to the shape of my head). Test ridden on a K1300S for a maximum of 6 hours on one day and at other times from 15 minutes up to several hours

Pros

1. Noise levels are low. Similiar to and probably better than the X-11 and better than the McCoy and Multitec. The helmet is very quiet

2. The internal sun visor is an excellent "gimmick" and most importantly I can wear prescription glasses underneath it. No need to carry extra shields for night and day riding or sunglasses

3. The clear shield came equiped with a pinlock shield which from my experience does the job of preventing the shield from fogging up in cold or rainy weather. The C3 has excellent field of vision through the shield and/or visor

4. It is a very comfortable helmet. Padding is excellent, better than the X-11 and Multitec and similar to RX-7 which was until recently the premier Arai helmet. I have found that the Arai padding is superior to the Shoei padding. The C3 does not feel heavy nor cause any fatigue. The helmet is aerodynamic

5. I have not ridden in the rain but the helmet appears to seal very well from rain as the shield fits snugly when closed as does the flip up portion. I did have a BMW system 4 which I found leaked through the top of the helmet in heavy rain

6. The flip up feature is useful so you don’t have to take the helmet off

7. The helmet has an internal curtain to seal up two airflow holes in the top of the helmet for when riding in colder weather

8. Removing the shield is simple like the Shoeis and not a nightmare like the Arai

Cons

1. I like riding with the shield open and at speeds over 70 mph/120 kph the shield tends to close itself when fully open. The indent system for the shield is not as robust as the X-11 in that it is not stiff enough to hold the shield open when wind pressure from speed gets to a certain level. I have found that by bringing the visor to the penultimate fully open position alleviates this.....but then I have the bottom of the visor intruding in the top of my field of vision which I find disconcerting

2. The amount of air flow through the C3 is average. Worse than the X-11 and the RX-7 and similiar to the Multitec. With the shield closed my head felt slightly hotter than my body in a temperature between 90 and 100F/ around 32 Celcius

3. The matt black paint seems to mark easily

Conclusion

The C3 is a very very comfortable helmet and is probably the quietest helmet I own. If the airflow was better it would be an excellent helmet. I recommend it on the proviso that the air flow is suitable for summer riding but more suited for colder weather. When it's really hot I will take the X-11 and for milder weather or for a trip the C3 .When the season changes here I will update my colder air and rain riding experiences

Is the DOT-approved shell on the USA version likely to lead to different conclusions regarding airflow and noise? Also, since the shell is made in 2 or 3 different sizes, does a large shell in its smallest fit size perform the same as the smallest shell in its largest fitment?

I had an HJC SyMax II for a while, which I thought was a pretty good helmet, but I thought the inner tinted shield was relatively useless because its tint was too light. I wanted the dark tint, which isn't available. Is there a tint choice on the C3?

...Conclusion ...

BabyCow, thanks for the review. The helmet is now available in US as well, though for much more $$$.

Just to reassure you, if the C3 is anything like its predecessors, it will be very good both in rain and in cold weather.

My current C2 is pretty much at the end of its life now and I am looking at a replacement. Having gone through several Concepts and C2's, I naturally look at the new C3.

It is appealing, except that I am curious about the ability to take it apart. My biggest complaint about the Concept and C2 is that the padding cannot be removed for washing (except for the foam "hairnet") and things become pretty stinky after a while, especially in hot weather. In particular, I miss being able to pull out the cheek pads.

How is the C3 in that respect? How much of the internals can be pulled out for cleaning?

Thanks, Robert.

How is the C3 in that respect? How much of the internals can be pulled out for cleaning?

We just purchased C3s to replace our C2s sold with motorcycle. I'm just installing Starcom headsets in them and not only can you pull out the cheek pads and internals, it's much easier and better designed than the C2. (Internal visor mechanism doesn't get in the way as much.)

Most importantly for me: the internal shape of the C3 is different. We haven't had a chance for a really long (more than a couple of hours) ride, but already the C3 doesn't have the hot spots that I suffered from with the C2.

OTOH, if the C2 was a perfect fit for you I guess this isn't necessarily good news.

Great helmet.

Russ

Schuberth sizing seems about half a size different to Shoei (depending on your head shape).

I take a medium 57-58 in the SHoei Raid2, but had to go to a Medium 56-57 in Schuberth as their large sat clear of my forehead! The internal padding is different.

I would think Nesboca that you would also need a medium in the C3. The tight feel in the cheek pads soon goes and the neck curtain maintains the secure feel.

Ive only just got my C3 after two years of deliberating and havent had a chance to actually ride with it.

The saleslady told me that they mainly sell gloss or matt black, but Ive gone for the 'mature' silver metallic after nearly twenty years of 'hellraiser black' lids. It should be cooler in the summer, too.

Super info, thanks very much!

Schuberth sizing seems about half a size different to Shoei (depending on your head shape).

I take a medium 57-58 in the SHoei Raid2, but had to go to a Medium 56-57 in Schuberth as their large sat clear of my forehead! The internal padding is different.

I would think Nesboca that you would also need a medium in the C3. The tight feel in the cheek pads soon goes and the neck curtain maintains the secure feel.

Ive only just got my C3 after two years of deliberating and havent had a chance to actually ride with it.

The saleslady told me that they mainly sell gloss or matt black, but Ive gone for the 'mature' silver metallic after nearly twenty years of 'hellraiser black' lids. It should be cooler in the summer, too.

Archived