IGNORED

New Schuberths

pbbeck

I tried on the new Schuberth helmet at the IMS in Long Beach yesterday. It feels great. Very familiar, like my old BMW System 5. The materials and construction were nearly identical. Only the styling cues were updated. I love the flip down down visor and the cleverly integrated Scala Rider G4.

Only problem... Schuberth is very proud of their helmets. They want $700 for it! $1084 otd with the comm system.

And the Scala Rider system isn´t worth a cent. Those dont work like you would expect.

Schubert helmets on the other hand, are among the best your money can buy.

Au contraire. I bought the Scala Rider G4 Powerset about 6 months ago. It's worked wonderfully for me in conjunction with my GPS and for bike-to-bike.

That's another reason I won't splurge on the Schuberth. I don't want to pay for the comm system twice.

"Schubert helmets on the other hand, are among the best your money can buy"

Or is that the best you can over spend on?? Euro/DOT Spec comparable lids are out there for 1/2 half the price or less.

They are on sale here

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=12172221&Currency=USD

for about $US500. When they export u dont pay VAT of 19% so take another $100 off or so. I have no connection with the company other than purchasing a C3 from them within the last month with excellent results :thumbsup:. Shipping was around $US20 to Australia so maybe less for you :Cool:. I will post a review of the helmet on the Bike Related Forum

"Schubert helmets on the other hand, are among the best your money can buy"

Or is that the best you can over spend on?? Euro/DOT Spec comparable lids are out there for 1/2 half the price or less.

If I´ve understood correctly, even a "braincap" is allowed as a helmet for you?

You can purchase much cheaper Euro/Dot helmets, it´s true.

I´m not buying proof stamps, I´m buying REAL protection.

And here (in Europe) Schubert is competitively priced with other premium helmets.

Only problem... Schuberth is very proud of their helmets. They want $700 for it! $1084 otd with the comm system.

Ah, the cost of liability protection insurance - the reason so many European manufacturers and retailers will not ship to the USA.

Buy from Europe and the cost will halve.

Andy

"I´m not buying proof stamps, I´m buying REAL protection"

Hello, here. If I buy a helmet that has the same safety rating as another is it less safe? If the manufacturer has higher profile and charges more is it better? Maybe you just buy in as a consumer with an ego to sooth? And a wallet to feed it.

Marketing loves folks like you. Captain Gullible.

I wear a helmet for number of reasons. 1) Its the law here. 2) warmth in the winter. 3) Noise and wind protection. 4)Because I have a kid.

If not for all of these reasons, i would gladly ride helmet less when it is warm enough. I am well insured for accidental death. Riding with out a helmet is actually much quieter IMHO than any helmet I have worn. In arizona you dont have to wear a helmet, and i lived there for work for 3 months and I loved riding without a helmet.

That all said a helmet that I DO wear, must be Comfortable first, Nice ammenities second, Quiet 3rd, and ratings 4th.

But that is just me and Im sure it will not go over well on this site since most here are ATGATT.

I've read a number of your posts and respected your viewpoint; that said, perhaps you value your brain differently, and are willing to accept protection which meets the bare minimum requirement, without any possibility of exceeding requirements. The "Captain Guillible" is not correct nor is it apt. What exectly is your issue with someone spending as much as they want on a helmet? Would you criticise me similarly for having a carbon fiber version of a helmet as I value the lighter weight in momentum-induced injuries?

Here's both side of the same coin:

Dr. Gennarelli showed that for children of all ages who experience an impact to the body,

as the weight of the helmet goes up, so does the neck shear force and bending moment, and therefore the likelihood of

sustaining a neck injury increases. But for children who experience an accidental fall to the ground head first (axial neck

force), the heavier the helmet the less neck axial force and thus the less likelihood of sustaining a neck injury. from http://www.smf.org/articles/pdf/choptrauma.pdf page 5. Am I a "Captain Gullible" for making a choice based on experience and peer-review, such as I am willing to presume ollka has made?

I got a Schuberth C3 this summer, it's my first modular helmet. I have mixed feelings about it. I love the features of the lid: the integrated sunshade, the fog-less pinlock visor, the comfort of the materials and the lightweight feel. However, all of this is negated by the poor ventilation, especially with the sunshade down. I feel like I am suffocating on my own CO2 after a few minutes.

I ride a GS with a huge Aeroflow windshield, which doesn't help matters, and in the heat, I have to ride with the clear visor cracked open about half an inch or so. Annoying. I never have this problem with any other helmets. I have over 10 helmets that I regularly use, so I feel I have some useful experiences to compare to.

On a sportbike, the ventilation is better when the helmet is fully exposed to fast moving air.

All in all, the helmet is well made and if you have adequate air flow over your helmet there are no significant drawbacks. Except for price, of course.

2s00fvs.jpg

Gene,

If you're willing to tolerate the noise, remove the helmet skirt. This skirt is what quiets the helmet, adds to the warmth, and makes the ventilation work so well when the helmet is in the wind. Without air movement, you won't gain the ventilation benefits.

What you do is entirely your own business, but I think your logic needs some work. I assume that your number 4 ("Because I have a kid") is on your list because you don't want to die. Right? Think about that. ("If I did not have a kid, I would gladly ...")

My list would have a fifth reason: Because I have a head. Actually it would be my first reason.

You could also ride without protective clothing, and in AZ, that might be a relief. But do you ride naked? Why not? Is it possibly because hitting pavement at high speed hurts and tears things up? Does your head not experience pain or impact damage?

Just for the sake of discussion, isn't it fun to ride on bald tires? WooHoo!

And yes, I know that these remarks are wasted and pointless, but what's a forum for?

If you're willing to tolerate the noise, remove the helmet skirt.

Mike, are you talking about the chin skirt? It seems permanently attached?

Gene,

I haven't tried the new C3, but the chin skirt was it. With an earlier model I was able to remove it, and then added velcro for 're-attachability'.

Captain Gullible is the sort who maintains that because they spent more than product 'B' that theirs' is superior. The Schuberth is more than likely a fine product but not necessarily better than say my Skorpion. To declare that because of price mine is inferior put C. Gullible in the position of being an elitist snob.

Oh, wait, this is a BMWST site. WE're all elitist snobs.... :rofl:

The Schuberth is more than likely a fine product but not necessarily better than say my Skorpion.

I agree with you that price is not an indicator of superiority, but in this case, the Schuberth is better than the Scorpion. I have both:

5yd9nq.jpg

The Scorpion is considerably heavier which leads to quicker fatigue on long rides. The quality of the moving parts is quite clunky compared to the Schuberth: the release clip is harder to engage than the C3 and the flip-up action is not as smooth as the C3. The EXO-900's padding is also not as soft and comfortable as the C3. It is also much quieter. I'm not saying it's a bad helmet, but in a direct head-to-head comparison, it is easy to determine which is the more expensive helmet. Whether it's worth $500 more, is another question, but your point that the C3 is not "necessarily better" than the EXO-900 is false. It definitely is.

1. The Scorpion is considerably heavier.

2. Whether it's worth $500 more?

1. By a few ozes. Builds neck muscles and character. I not talking about some kid riding my bike and using my stuff.

2. Where in lies the crux of the perdinkyment. I paid 200 dollah on sale and with the remaining several hundred dollars I can ride all over the country side going to rallies.

I suppose one could 'Yeah But' the differences ad-nauseum. But if makes you happy to have your pricey bit of superlative head gear, I salute your taste. Want caviar with that whine?

I ordered my C3 from fc-moto 2 years ago and paid about $US40 to get it shipped to the US. (Also not affiliated with them but just another satisfied customer)

WELL WORTH IT. Great helmet and I've loved it every since I got it. I had an older Schuberth that I was replacing and this one is much better (quieter and lighter).

Yes, they are not cheap but in my personal opinion, my head is worth it.

Jim

But if makes you happy to have your pricey bit of superlative head gear, I salute your taste. Want caviar with that whine?

It makes me happy to wear a lighter, quieter, more comfortable, and better-looking helmet. No whine for me thanks. At least not from your sour grapes...

Archived