IGNORED

So Glad But So Sad

Rphoto

After a year of ongoing problems, including 4 months off the road, my 09 K1300GT has gone away. As I took my personal accessories off of it today I shed a few tears and wondered what might have been if like most owners, I had gotten a "good one". After a long, positive string of BMW's, both 2 and 4 wheels, i crapped-out. Missed will be its power, style and handling. I won't miss its undependability and sparse dealer network. And certainly will not miss its " too high tech to diagnose and fix". For those of you with a "good one", enjoy and try not to be too hard on us who were not so lucky. Time to move forward! Thanks to those who offered advice, support and shared their own stories.

I share your feelings and, boy, do I miss mine. Sat on a new one today and it was like a glove.

Still trying to sort through my options on the next bike. Checked out the Sprint GT (not ST), RT, Kawa, Yada, Yada, Yada. When the GT worked there was nothing like it! It just didn't work often enough.

I'm guess this was a eulogy? I'm gonna miss that POS?

Kinda sounds like a friends GT. Lemmoned into a FJ1300.

So, what happened to the legendary riding machines of Germany?

Sat on one of the K1600GT's at the bike show yesterday. Felt just right, but after my second gen K1200gt I kept thinking how many gremlins is this one gonna have. I really hope BMW got this one right.

I did the beta test thing on an 05 K/S and and 06 GT. Still have the K/S because I got thru the problems early. The GT could have done some serious injury to the wife and I. After dealer fights it got sorted but I never again enjoyed the bike. See ya...never looked back and will never again have a first gen BMW!

After a year of ongoing problems, including 4 months off the road, my 09 K1300GT has gone away. As I took my personal accessories off of it today I shed a few tears and wondered what might have been if like most owners, I had gotten a "good one". After a long, positive string of BMW's, both 2 and 4 wheels, i crapped-out. Missed will be its power, style and handling. I won't miss its undependability and sparse dealer network. And certainly will not miss its " too high tech to diagnose and fix". For those of you with a "good one", enjoy and try not to be too hard on us who were not so lucky. Time to move forward! Thanks to those who offered advice, support and shared their own stories.

Sorry to hear of your loss. So what is next?

First gen isn't the problem in all models.

It was the change to the "new" K electronics and engine management design.

My first Gen GT has been delightful.

Plus it is still the best looking one...

Best wishes.

First gen isn't the problem in all models.

It was the change to the "new" K electronics and engine management design.

My first Gen GT has been delightful.

Plus it is still the best looking one...

Best wishes.

Your first gen GT is nothing more than 5 year old KRS with some minor additions. Not the same as a complete new bike with a new motor, switchgear, electronics..... even then many 03 GT's had ECU issues.

I share your feelings and, boy, do I miss mine. Sat on a new one today and it was like a glove.

Still trying to sort through my options on the next bike. Checked out the Sprint GT (not ST), RT, Kawa, Yada, Yada, Yada. When the GT worked there was nothing like it! It just didn't work often enough.

I've been following your decision making process on the Yamaha Super Tenere thread, but must have missed mention of the Sprint GT.

How did you like that it? Too small of a dealer network drove it off the list?

I really liked it but it is just too sporting for the long haul. It felt similar to a K1300S in riding position. Nice fit and finish, etc. Really couldn't fault it too much beyond the riding position. Pretty sure I'd be very happy with it but I think I'll wait to see what the new Trophy looks like when it arrives.

The side cases are a bit unique in that they have a fair amount of lateral movement designed in. A bit disconcerting at first.

Great accessory catalog with luggage, etc.

Jean said my Tiger's bags used to flap up and down like it was going to take off. Think it has like 3/4" movement from stop to stop.

That was a nice ride.

Hey Phil, Check out February issue of Cycle World, Sport-Tourer shoot out.

Duc Multisrada,Honda VFR,Triumph GT, and Kawi Conni 14.

If I wasn't such the goofy "gotta have" Beta tester I am, I'd probably be on a Kawi 14 (the winner in the shootout @ only $16K clams), instead of the new GT on order.

John Meyer

Saw the article.

Not one of the bikes stopped as quickly (60-0) as my "old" GT ('03) some 20 feet or more longer stopping distance.

MPG and range was similar as was carrying capacity (w/the GT doing better than 3 of them).

However, none of them have the electrical output capacity of my bike for 2 up winter riding (2 Gerbings jacket liners and gloves/heated seat/grips and 2 sets of driving/fog lights plus phone/GPS/XM).

No sale.

Archived