IGNORED

'10 & '11 Radio for RT - opinion

TowJam

How good is the factory sound system for the current gen of RTs? How well does it project at highway speeds? Although I didn't order the option, apparently the RT I have on order, is equipped with it. According to my dealer, BMW NA is currently mandating radios for all '11 RTs.

I have never heard of a MC stereo that projects at hiway speeds ESPECIALLY if you are wearing a 3/4 or full face helmet. Some Harley guys use them and like them but dang they have to blast them to hear them while riding, especially over those loud straight unbaffled long shot exhaust.

I have the stereo on my RT and i have even changed the speakers, but now I use an ipod with helmet speakers.

As for the bike being spec'ed to just come with it whether you want it or not, negociate the price or the bike and get them to cut the price of the stereo off of the purchase price.

Sorry to the dealership owners and workers on the site, but if I dont want it and they force me to take it, I dont want to pay for it.

The factory radio is fine as far as its construction/electronics etc, BUT it is very hard to hear it while riding down the highway unless you wear some kind of helmet that leaves your ears exposed.

The radio might be of some value if you wired it to speakers installed into your full face helmet.

I used to work in a dealer in Canada and we sold very few RTs with the factory radio. If I was involved in the sales process, I would suggest to the customer that he NOT purchase the radio.

As far as BMW NA mandating radio sales for 2011 bikes.... really doubt that statement. Your dealer sales guy is just trying to sell you something you don't really want IMHO.

As far as BMW NA mandating radio sales for 2011 bikes.... really doubt that statement. Your dealer sales guy is just trying to sell you something you don't really want IMHO.
The radio is a $1300 option. I won't pay a penny for the radio and so far, they've only offered to discount it to $800 (on top of the bike's sale price that we've negotiated). As much as I want the bike, I'm prepared to walk away if they insist on charging for an option that I did not want or order.

I just looked at several 2011 RTs that did not have the radio option. They call it an option for a reason.

As for the speakers, they suck. You can hard wire a stereo plug so you can run it in to an Autocom or direct to wired ear plugs.

Walk away and find a dealer that has one without it.

Tell your dealer you dont want the deal and that you found one at X dealer without the radio so they can either remove the radio and delete the charge, or leave the radio and delete the charge or you will go and buy the bike in the next nearest dealership that has one.

I know we are very fornuate here in Cali to have alot of dealers in a 1-200 mile radius so we can deal. But wherever you are think about the trip yopu could take with that 1300 bucks. Heck you could fly cross country and buy a bike in another state and ride it home for 1300 bucks. Airfare, hotels and food cross country for 1300. You are in Texas, you could fly anywhare in the U.S. and ride a new scooter home for the $1300

Just my opinion

If it's true that BMW USA is only importing RTs with the radio option from the factory, then that would be the case for an RT at any dealer. I'd contact other dealers to confirm whether what you were told is true.

Listening to the radio on my RT thru the SPEAKERS is fine as long as I'm parked with the engine OFF!

Listening to music while in motion is an exercise in futility. It simply sounds like S&%T because of all the other ambient sounds that accompany it.

Talk stations are OK up to about 45mph. After that FUGGETABOUTIT.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL !!!!

Walk away and find a dealer that has one without it.

I've spoken with several dealers and had a visit with my dealer this afternoon. Long story short, the only non-radio equipped RTs currently showing up in the locator system are low-suspension units - everything else is radio equipped. I also heard from a coworker in another state that he's running into the same issue - so I'm going to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. (I've bought 5 bikes from them in the past so there is some history and a relationship they won't risk.) Also, I have a "plan B" in the works.... :thumbsup:

On the other hand, the radio on the '11s come with bluetooth and you don't need to use those crappy speakers any more. I just picked up my bike with radio last week and I love the radio option. Only complaint is that the control wheel is in the way of the turn signal switch, not so much that you can't get used to it but signaling left turns with the clutch in can be a bit of a reach. The Bluetooth system will synch up with 2 head-sets (according to the manual) so passenger can hear as well.

On the other hand, the radio on the '11s come with bluetooth and you don't need to use those crappy speakers any more. I just picked up my bike with radio last week and I love the radio option. Only complaint is that the control wheel is in the way of the turn signal switch, not so much that you can't get used to it but signaling left turns with the clutch in can be a bit of a reach. The Bluetooth system will synch up with 2 head-sets (according to the manual) so passenger can hear as well.

Well then, this just got interesting. Does the radio include a CD player or have they dropped that? (I have zero use for a CD player.)

They dropped the cd player and added USB and an aux in for mp3 players. For a few more $ they'll sell you an iPod adaptor or ask them to throw it in since they are forcing the radio on you! The radio controller can be used to select music from a USB memory stick and it works very well.

Well then, this just got interesting. Does the radio include a CD player or have they dropped that? (I have zero use for a CD player.)

Doh! Never mind - I knew this already - no CD player.

So the only question I have now is if the raid supports BT pairing to a smartphone.

Have not tried yet. On the old bike I paired the phone with the zumo that was attached to the Starcom1. I ordered the Nav IV with this bike and they are installing the mount next week. If all else fails the newer bluetooth headsets will pair with up to 4 devices.

Have not tried yet. On the old bike I paired the phone with the zumo that was attached to the Starcom1. I ordered the Nav IV with this bike and they are installing the mount next week. If all else fails the newer bluetooth headsets will pair with up to 4 devices.

Ok - thanks again for the additional info. I guess it would have behooved me to do a little more homework in the first place.

Sounds like the radio has some decent features that make it a good deal. Especially since you already negotiated the price for it down some...

Yeah - now I'm eating a little crow. So I just got off the phone with the dealer, they're sweetening the deal just a little bit more (emphasis on little bit) so I'm going to go ahead and go through with it. The RT is already "in transit" to the warehouse so I hope to be on it within the next 2-3 weeks.

On a side note, my dealer said they've gotten no new stock in the last 3 weeks. Apparently there's a backlog of incoming stock due to weather delays on that side of the pond and the union getting pretty much the month of December off on this side.

Dang I hate waiting for things, I am an instant gratification kind of guy i guess. I have never ordered a vehichle. I call around and find a dealer with what i want, go in, negotiate my price and ride them home (unless of course it is a dirt bike which I put it in the truck). But the here in So. Cal. our dealer usually carry some stock on hand, and there are a good number of dealers in the area so we can find what we want.

Archived