IGNORED

Get on the Ball this winter.

Lineareagle

OK so I have taken my life in my own hands.

Lots of reasons

Type II diabetes.

Motorcycle drop that broke my leg.

Feeling lethargic.

New grand kids I would like to see in high school.

Never see any old fat people.

All the spry and with it old folks I have met are walkers and healthy eaters.

Anyway, so I have been on a low glycemic diet and lost lots of weight, PT for the broken leg, and the PTer noticed I was walking with a slight stoop and said that is a one way street better get on it now so I got on the ball.

I do several exercises with the ball but one I noticed really changed my posture, my sleeping and my control on my bike (which is of major concern for you all) is the plank.

Here is a quick vid.

And if you think this looks easy, heh, heh, try it.

The ball has to be the cheapest and most versatile piece of exercise equipment you can have, plus it doubles as a great chair.

Sorry your health concerns are so severe.

I'll stick to walking 3-5 miles a day and do push-ups. That ball would take up entirely too much space. It probably is a really good thing though.

Sorry your health concerns are so severe.

I'll stick to walking 3-5 miles a day and do push-ups. That ball would take up entirely too much space. It probably is a really good thing though.

Yep the walkin and pushin is good too. Unfortunately here in the great white north the walking gets a tad difficult, and uncomfortable plus if you are already walking incorrectly it isn't going to help with the posture.

I hate to say it but the wake up call with the health issues has me in the best condition I have been in in 20 years, so a blessing in disguise.

OK so I have taken my life in my own hands.

Good for you. When I was about 30 (a long time ago in a far away universe it seems), I noticed that I was gaining a pound or two a year. Not much, but having mathematical bent, I did the math and figured out that at that rate it would not be good by the time I reached 60. So I made some changes and now that I am on the down side of my 60's I still weigh less than I did 35 years ago. And I can still run a couple of marathons a year although I was never very fast and I don't seem to be getting any faster.

"the walking gets a tad difficult"

I dare say so. Snow shoeing would be a real cardio workout. Chasing Mooses through the woods would get one in shape.

I've yet to see some results from the walking as I just started the regimen. I did notice that some of the local neighborhoods are really boring to walk through. I do see some of the younger folks running but at 64 I don't think my knees would appreciate the pounding. So I'll stick to 3 1/2 mph.

Glad to hear you've seen the light. The older we get, the more important exercise becomes.

A friend said he went to the doc around his 50th b-day. The doc said "You're closer to death, than you are to birth. Time to start taking care of yourself." He's been backcountry skiing ever since. And he can run circles around me, even though he's got 20 years on me.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Did that one after a back injury in 94. A bunch of other balance ones on cylinders and balls in PT. I've always had very good balance so they figure I wasn't challenged and started coming up with other balancing exercises. They stopped and settled with what they had when I started barking like a sea lion one day. I'm really glad they didn't throw a sardine....

Keep it up!

Archived