IGNORED

I finally won something

Selden

It's December 17, so the UPS trucks are all over the place, and I brought in several boxes this afternoon, piling them on the kitchen table until my wife got home. One was addressed to me, shipped from Louisville, KY, and thinking it might be a Christmas present that I wasn't supposed to see, I asked her if I should open it. "I dunno; it's not from me."

Opening the outer carton, the first thing I saw inside was a warning: CAUTION! Lithium-ion battery" WTF?? Turning the box over, and opening it revealed a Google Chrome netbook. Speculating that the codename Cr-48 has something to do with the element, I checked: Cr atomic number 24; Cr-48 is an unstable isotope of chromium.

Despite missing the announcement last Tuesday that Google was looking for netbook testers (I've been spending a lot of quality time in the attic, installing insulation), and not submitting an application to be a tester until more than 48 hours later, I ended up on the "A" list. Wondering how Google was selecting people, I googled it, and found "Google reportedly is signing up [60,000] beta testers by U.S. ZIP code -- rather than on a first-come-first-served basis -- to get broad input."

Since Chrome is already my primary browser (although FF 4.0 is coming up fast), there was no browser learning curve. Other than that, too soon to tell what this beast is going to be like. After using mostly a 10.1" netbook for the past 18 months, it's nice to have a 12" screen and full-size keyboard. I don't know if the trackpad sucks or just requires getting used to (one reviewer called it a turd), but after using (and adjusting to) the wretched trackpad on an Acer AA1, it can't be any worse, and a wireless mouse works just fine. Free G3 from Verizon (up to 100 mb a month for 2 years) is a nice touch.

After Linux, where everything is accessible if you have enough curiosity, Chrome OS is going to take some getting used to, since it seems to be all browser.

From someone who never wins anything, let me be the first to congratulate you on your Major Award!

Someone in my hometown just built one as a special Christmas gift; the recipient put it in the bay window of his real estate office.

I won something once -

It was a paint roller, roller tray and a paint brush!

I was six at the time, really made an impression on me . . . not.

I won something once -

It was a paint roller, roller tray and a paint brush!

I was six at the time, really made an impression on me . . . not.

I don't how you got it - but it would have made real impression on your parents if you used it :grin:

Archived