IGNORED

99 1100rt smell of oil where do I check the trans oil level?

braindonor

I have a "99" R1100RT and i keep smelling oil. Engine oil is ok but I can't find the trans oil check. How do I do that?

I've checked the bike and i see no signs of an oil leak. It smells like oil is leaking on to the exhaust and burning off. There are no puddles under the bike. Whats going on ?

To check the oil, pop the bike on the centerstand. On the right hand side there are 2 large hex bolts. The top is the fill, the bottom is the drain. The oil should be to the lower edge of the fill cap.

In addition to the above, loosen the big hose-style clamp that goes around the rubber boot on the front of the final drive and see how much oil runs out when you peel back the boot.

Check the oil level in the final drive too (rear end). Line the trans, remove the top hex bolt and check to see if you have oil to the bottom of the threaded part of the hole.

Visually check the hoses that run to and from the oil cooler at the front of the bike for leaks.

Check the cam chain tensioner bolt under the right side cylinder and see if there is a drip of oil hanging on it. I have seen slow drips off these hit the hot exhaust and burn up ,leaving very little evidence behind.

I have a "99" R1100RT and i keep smelling oil. Engine oil is ok but I can't find the trans oil check. How do I do that?

I've checked the bike and i see no signs of an oil leak. It smells like oil is leaking on to the exhaust and burning off. There are no puddles under the bike. Whats going on ?

What does the smell smell of? Engine oil, or transmission oil. That should give you a starting point.

Any signs of oil smoke from the exhaust on start up or brisk acceleration?

Andy

It's for sure oil not trans oil. The trans oil level is perfect. Thanks for showing me where the check was. The engine oil leve was just a little down but thats was it. Looked under the bike above the cat converter and exhaust and found nothing. Wierd.

On the right side of the bike, more or less where the right-hand cylinder head joins the engine block, there is a rubber hose that runs to the airbox. That's the crankcase breather hose. Is it connected and in good condition?

There is a drain plug on the left-hand, bottom-rear corner of the air box (you can see it near the rear shock). Remove the plug while the bike is on the sidestand. Some oil may drain out. Oil will accumulate here if the crankcase is overfilled with oil.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've smelled that occasionally for years. Having done the usual checks as suggested above, let it go. I fretted about it forever and never found the smoking gun. Nothing ever came of it.

On the right side of the bike, more or less where the right-hand cylinder head joins the engine block, there is a rubber hose that runs to the airbox. That's the crankcase breather hose. Is it connected and in good condition?

There is a drain plug on the left-hand, bottom-rear corner of the air box (you can see it near the rear shock). Remove the plug while the bike is on the sidestand. Some oil may drain out. Oil will accumulate here if the crankcase is overfilled with oil.

I think Noncomp solved this. If you overfill the crankcase with oil, the excess will blow out into the air box and drip down onto the exhaust. Been there, done that.

What are you calling an "ok" oil level? My 1150 likes to be around the middle of the window. Any more, and I get the oil burning smell that you have. Also, the engine vibrates when the oil level is at the top of the glass.

She's a fussy lady, but you've got to love her.

I think Noncomp solved this. If you overfill the crankcase with oil, the excess will blow out into the air box and drip down onto the exhaust. Been there, done that.

What are you calling an "ok" oil level? My 1150 likes to be around the middle of the window. Any more, and I get the oil burning smell that you have. Also, the engine vibrates when the oil level is at the top of the glass.

She's a fussy lady, but you've got to love her.

The overfill plastic screw shoul not leak if the engine is overfilled, only if you unscrew it.

I have seen a friend's 1100 RS that had 6.5 liters of oil in it! He did not know where to get the oil out trough, got ~ 0.5 liters out from the filler screw using a siringe and a hose and then added 3.5 liters more :|

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've smelled that occasionally for years. Having done the usual checks as suggested above, let it go. I fretted about it forever and never found the smoking gun. Nothing ever came of it.

Ditto...I smell it all the time but there are no drips, no smoke, and no loss of oil, so I just ignore it and live with it.

Archived