IGNORED

Riding positions ?

AllenW

Just curious, having read the post on Yoda's riding position, it seems to be geared for the sport rider who may be pushing the envelope a bit.

Most my riding is generally pretty tame, I do like to push a bit but not enough to start scraping my knees while cornering.

Maybe 20 years ago, but not today at 63 and already beat up enough as it is.

So....

Does his post work for the casual rider?

And I'm still trying to figure out how to get into his position with out leaning on the handlebars, something I don't care for.

Most of my street bikes have been either Harley's or the GS line of older Suzuki's, and 15 mins on todays sport bike kills me.

The R1200RT I looked at seemed to be the most comfortable (yet to test drive) of the bikes I've looked at so far, but I have the feeling I'm not sitting on this bike like Yoda recommends, not sure though.

Have to read his post a few times and maybe get it figured out..:)

Always willing to learn something new.

TIA

Al

Yes, it works for casual riders. It's about creating the foundation for more control with less effort. That has obvious benefits when you're pushing hard and might not be notable on a ride around the block but nonetheless it's a good habit to develop. I find pleasure in executing a turn well, regardless of the speed I'm carrying and a good body position on the bike makes those turns feel better. Reduced fatigue on longer rides makes the miles more enjoyable. And should things go sideways, already being in a better position helps your reaction time and gives some fluidity to your evasive actions.

I never thought it was geared only to sport riding. Not slouching--arching back forward at hips--head up--relaxed elbows. Whenever I start feeling achy, its usually because I'm riding in "cruiser mode", and I feel better immediately as soon as I start the yoda thing. I would be comfortable riding long distances like that. But inevitably I degrade into a slouch again. Until I once again correct it.

Whenever I get stuck behind a slow car with no chance of passing, I like to fall back and concentrate on my Master Yoda and lane positioning. Periodically while riding, I try to get back in the groove before slouching back into old habits.

It's a little like those ergonomic chairs with knee rests and no back that force you to sit up straight while typing or working at a desk. Also good to practice on a bar stool; leaning forward with hands resting lightly on the bar. Don't lean so far forward that you need to rest weight on your hands. Bar backs may help if you have short arms.

Hope this helps.

---

I've found it to be a big help when cornering. With the upright seating position that the RT provides, it is easy to remain in this position while cornering. Until I corrected it with Mr.Yoda's advice, sitting upright caused my weight to be transferred rearward and my arms to be straight and almost rigid in turns.

ShovelStrokeEd

RD Frantz, a long time respected member of this board and one heck of a rider and teacher, originated the Master Yoda riding position. It started with his efforts to learn to control and be comfortable riding his K1200RS. It actually goes back much further than that as Dick has/had been a student of riding for much longer.

Anyone who has ridden a K1200RS knows that, until you learn to ride it, the thing is a pig in tight stuff and efforts to make it more comfy via higher bars and bigger windscreens are doomed to failure. Then you read about the Master Yoda riding position and begin applying the principles espoused. Voila! The bike responds much better, becoming almost telepathic in its reaction to control inputs. What happened? Yoda happened, is what.

The principles apply to riding any bike, be it an all out sport bike or even, gasp, a cruiser.

Now, couple Dick's excellent treatise with Ride Smart (something else you really should investigate) and you have the key to long distance riding in comfort and aggressive or passive street riding with superior control and precision.

I have been doing this a long time and a bunch of miles and still, no matter what bike I'm riding, apply those principles on a daily basis. I'm 68 now and still ride some pretty sporty machinery. No problems with all day in the saddle on either my Triumph Sprint ST or my Aprilia Tuono. In fact, the precision that the Tuono gives really points up good technique.

:Cool:

Thank you.

Last night I said, "self, must find that".

Much easier than I thought it would be thanks to you.

:)

I think Ken posted pics of MYRP while carrying a passenger too.

(Stationary but exemplary)

Yes thanks, all.

Almost seems like the position I found most comfortable riding the older GS1100 I had, sitting on the R1200 on the dealers showroom kinda reminds me of that, probably one of the reasons I liked it.

Pegs are to small for my size 15 feet, but I see they have larger ones available.

Al

Whenever I get stuck behind a slow car with no chance of passing, I like to fall back and concentrate on my Master Yoda and lane positioning. Periodically while riding, I try to get back in the groove before slouching back into old habits.

It's a little like those ergonomic chairs with knee rests and no back that force you to sit up straight while typing or working at a desk. Also good to practice on a bar stool; leaning forward with hands resting lightly on the bar. Don't lean so far forward that you need to rest weight on your hands. Bar backs may help if you have short arms.

Hope this helps.

---

Archived