IGNORED

Capability reduction between '90 K75 and '04 R1150RT

flying_monkey

flying_monkey

On the K75 I had, when you turned on a turn signal, it was pretty smart. If you were sitting at a stoplight, it would stay on indefinitely. As soon as you took off, it would cancel itself. The much newer RT _never_ cancels itself. Which occasionally leaves me looking like the fool I probably am as I go down the road with it merrily flashing away. I wonder why they did it this way, and is there any aftermarket device to provide this functionality?

Ed

Just get use to it..(not sure if all) K-series have the self canceling signals. The '85 does. If you're going down the road with your signal merrily flashing away, you're not paying very close attention to things.

And there are aftermarket systems, yet why bother..spend the valueless Fraudulent Reserve Notes on more important items.

The R1150RT should cancel the signals after about 200 yards.

Sorry Paul, I think you are mistaken here. The R1200RT has self-cancelling indicators, but the R1150RT does not - at least neither my 2002 nor 2004 model R1150RT had them.

Andy

The R1150RT should cancel the signals after about 200 yards.

Sorry Paul, I think you are mistaken here. The R1200RT has self-cancelling indicators, but the R1150RT does not - at least neither my 2002 nor 2004 model R1150RT had them.

Andy

agree

Get the Kisan Signalminder. It does other optional stuff, such as eliminating the need to use the awkward cancel button and running the turn signals as running lights (at half or full brightness). It plugs in, in place of the OEM flasher relay.

That answers that question....I wondered why my '02 R1150RT-P didn't auto cancel the turn signals. I thought it might have been as a result of the P wiring. I'll check out the signalminder. Thanks.

This all leaves me scratching my head wondering, if the technology was able to provide self canceling turn signals in the mid-80s, why then don't companies just keep it as standard equipment on every street bike made from then on? The advances in electronics each year has got to have made it cheaper and easier to include. And why would a company include it on one model in a given year and not on another? My 2000 R1200C has it as standard equipment while the 2000 RT does not. :S I just don't get it.

Yes and some people know how to make shocks that actually work, and seats that riders can ride on all day......etc. BMW chooses not to install them on their 'ultimate driving machines' guess thier definition of ultimate isn't the same as ours.

Yes and some people know how to make shocks that actually work, and seats that riders can ride on all day......etc. BMW chooses not to install them on their 'ultimate driving machines' guess thier definition of ultimate isn't the same as ours.

boy ain't that the truth; "long distance touring machines" with tortuous seats and way less than adequate shocks. I've got custom seats on all three beemers and Ohlins shocks on the RT; can't afford better shocks on the other two just yet -- but maybe someday.

My 1998 R1100R has self-cancelling turn signals. I believe they are stock equipment but I am not sure as I did not buy the bike new. They are not adjustable and seem to shut off the turn signal after about 20 seconds. It will allow the signal to blink indefinitely while at a stop.

I have both of those bikes and truly don't see one system as superior to the other.....

after owning BMW's with both systems, I would agree. I have found pro's and cons of each.

My 1998 R1100R has self-cancelling turn signals. I believe they are stock equipment but I am not sure as I did not buy the bike new.
I doubt that they are stock. If you open the the fuse box under the seat and look at the flasher module, it probably says Signal Minder on it.
This all leaves me scratching my head wondering, if the technology was able to provide self canceling turn signals in the mid-80s, why then don't companies just keep it as standard equipment on every street bike made from then on? The advances in electronics each year has got to have made it cheaper and easier to include. And why would a company include it on one model in a given year and not on another? My 2000 R1200C has it as standard equipment while the 2000 RT does not. :S I just don't get it.

Surely you mean seventies, Yamaha's had self cancelling indicators on most of their range right up until about 1990, my mid 70's rd200 certainly had them.

Surely you mean seventies, Yamaha's had self cancelling indicators on most of their range right up until about 1990, my mid 70's rd200 certainly had them.

OK, then, that just makes me even more perplexed. If it has been around that long combined with today's technology, it should be as simple as one or two relays and a computer chip that add virtually no weight and very little cost -- duh :dopeslap:

Well sure, you can say that about a lot of features that have come and gone and come back over the years. My 1959 Cadi had an automatically highbeam dimmer. Where's that feature now?

I think that some people would say that self-cancelling turn signals are annoying, while other's would say that they are essential. BMW probably poles owners to find out which features owners want the most. Maybe SC turnsignals are not at the top of the list?

Archived