IGNORED

Ride Home

BlueByU

Ok.Drove to Las Vegas yesterday and pick up my 08 R1200RT.Getting the feel of the clutch and the NO View mirror in LV traffic was tuff.Rode to Barstow and had dinner at Peggy's Sue 50s dinner.Stopped at Motel6 in Barstow and called it a day.Sat on the bed and read Owners Man.Got up and left about 7am and had BK in Tehachapi.Got home about 1pm.Now for the M/C stuff.The M/C came with the low seat which I that I would like,Wrong the seat to pegs are way too close even in it's rised position.I'm also leaning to far forward so it looks like a set of riser are in order.Other than that.I look forward to many miles on this with my wife.She came home and saw the M/C sitting in the garage and wanted to sit on it.And when she did I got a BIG smile and attaboy about the color and comfort.She likes that big trunk to lean back on.I sure ther will be other tweaks.Like when I start adding farkles and dealing with this CANBUS system.

Congrats on the new bike!

I cant do the low seat either and im only 6'.

Hey to hi jack for a second, Im new to this Long ride stuff...

I know what a IBA 1000 and 1500 are but what is a 50cc?

Kmac The 5occ.Is Coast to Coast in Fifty hrs or less.I did it in 38hrs with a 6hr Nap in Baytown,Tx.I was riding a FJR1300 at the time.I started in San Diego,Ca and finished in Jacksonville,Fl.They also have a 100ccc.Maybe I can do it on this Beemer I just got.

Believe it or NOT I'm 5'8" and I don't know how the long legged people do it.I like the fact that I'm flat footed but can't stand the tight knee bend.I like that the seat is heated cause I did ride through some cold Temps today.So I lite fire under me sorta and it felt pretty good.First time to have a heated seat.I have a question does the RT have Emergency flashers? The reason I ask is I ran into Tule Fog today for the first time and I could have used some more visiablity.If you U don't know what Tule Fog it's means U can't see where U are......Real scary I can tell U especially on a M/C.

malcolmblalock

Flashers are activated by pressing the left and right turn signals on simultaneously. Canceled by pressing the cancel button.

Work great! Have to be activated with the switch on, but will keep flashing if the switch is turned off. Just turn switch back on, hit the cancel button, and they're off again.

siman00 thanks I just got to page 57 in the owners Man.that explained it all.

Flashers are activated by pressing the left and right turn signals on simultaneously. Canceled by pressing the cancel button.

Work great! Have to be activated with the switch on, but will keep flashing if the switch is turned off. Just turn switch back on, hit the cancel button, and they're off again.

Now for the M/C stuff.The M/C came with the low seat which I that I would like,Wrong the seat to pegs are way too close even in it's rised position.I'm also leaning to far forward so it looks like a set of riser are in order.

Congratulation on the purchase! I am 5'10~11 and went with the lowering pegs from Suburban - helped quite a bit (I have the standard seat and a Sargent).

Here's a good read on riding position and general all around BMW handling. The article is intended for both the RT and K bike - I believe it started actually for the RT - somewhere that question is covered in the thread.

Master Yoda's riding position

Please post a pic!

This was NOT a BMW dealership and they known less about the M/C than I did.I had to show them things.They have my car in the park lot right now.So I'm tight lip about my ordeal there.After that I'll let the cat out of the bag once I retrieve my car.OK

Congrats on the new ride.

They didn't go over stuff like flashers in the predelivery checklist?

Unbelieveable.

WOW the 50cc is crazy...dont rush getting used to the bike. It is a bike that you need to bond with over a bit of time. Get the for for the handling.

Remeber, the telelever front end just handles different than anything else. I found, at least for me, that the RT doent like trail braking into a corner, but that is ok because it loves counter steering. Even when i think i am a bit hot in a decreasing radius corner where you might be tempted to trail brake, just lay in on the down side bar and she hugs right into the corner no problem. All techniques you use on other bikes, but i have found that applying them to a more or less degree the bike loves it a bit different than most bikes.

Major congrats and enjoy the road....+1 on the pics. :thumbsup:

Consider Bill Mayer Saddles in Ohai for a custom seat. You can phone him make a "ride in" appt and have a custom seat built to your liking while you wait. His seats will also retain the OEM heated seat option.

I would also recomend the Russell Day long. They too will retain factory heat. My 1200RT had the low seat and I am 6'-1" tall. It was awfull! My R1150RT came to me with the low saergent seat and it too was bad. I put a stock height seat on and its a world of difference. If all else fails, put on a set of suburban machine peg lowering kit.

BTW, nice bike!

CoarsegoldKid

I bought my RT with the low seat and can say that with a 5'10 frame the seat to peg distance is too tight. I installed cruiser pegs for relief. So what I did was take it down to Mayer shop in Ojai and had it redone. What a big difference in all day comfort a slight change in knee bend makes. Butt feels much better too. The cruiser pegs are now gone. A rebuilt seat or raised stock seat will have you on your tip toes. Before you go spend more money try raising the seat as per the manual instructions. That may do it for you.

Dennis Andress

Ride the bike for awhile before you start buying seats and bar backs. The Master Yoda Riding Position is the way to go. But, it takes some time and effort to build up the lower body strength required, so work at it until it feels right.

Both Laney and I had our seats reworked at Mac's Upholstery in Ventura. Same results as those other places for about 1/3 of the cost.

I'm a little different than most riders.I've been riding a long time.But I have to setup the M/C for me.As I have a chronic back problem so setting up the M/C is all about making my back happy and it works pretty good for me.I don't just change thing without doing alot of testing and adjusting of what the M/C as to offer to begin with.Not saying that I know everything about setting up a M/C just know what works for me.

Sounds like you had a great introduction to the RT...Not too sure the Two Prozac will do much for the lower back pain... :dopeslap:

Anyway, Welcome to the Board!! You anywhere near Monterey on the Central Coast?? Might be a neighbor.

Be happy to help you spend your money on farkles..... I've run out of room on my bike.. :grin:

Heck,

Thanks for pointing that out it should read (Two Wheel Prozac)Lol

Sounds like you had a great introduction to the RT...Not too sure the Two Prozac will do much for the lower back pain... :dopeslap:

Anyway, Welcome to the Board!! You anywhere near Monterey on the Central Coast?? Might be a neighbor.

Be happy to help you spend your money on farkles..... I've run out of room on my bike.. :grin:

The name on my boat is "H2Ozac" my wife calls it my summer time "liquid prozac" But my motorcycles are my full time ZOLOFT.

Prozac worked good for me until i had an allergic reaction to it, now its all zoloft for me :rofl:

Zoloft and RPMs...

...I'm sure there will be other tweaks. Like when I start adding farkles and dealing with this CANBUS system.

Hint: Don't deal with the CANBUS at all. Wire in a separate fuse block to the battery directly and save yourself a lot of grief. Enjoy the new ride :thumbsup:

Thanks is that a Ham Call I see there.That's exactly what I plan to do.

Bob K6WFV

...I'm sure there will be other tweaks. Like when I start adding farkles and dealing with this CANBUS system.

Hint: Don't deal with the CANBUS at all. Wire in a separate fuse block to the battery directly and save yourself a lot of grief. Enjoy the new ride :thumbsup:

russell_bynum
Ride the bike for awhile before you start buying seats and bar backs. The Master Yoda Riding Position is the way to go. But, it takes some time and effort to build up the lower body strength required, so work at it until it feels right.

+1

Humans weren't designed to sit up straight.

Archived