IGNORED

Need advice on gps mount....

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I have a Garmin zumo 550 that I would like to mount on the RT. I would like to mount it up behind the windshield but was wondering if there are any options to do that other than buying the shelf and base mount for the shelf? I was hoping that I could get away with something a little less expensive because I didn't want to spend ~$200 for the shelf/base. I already have a standard Garmin handlebar mount but would much prefer it to be in front of me in my field of vision. If it comes down to it I'll buy the shelf/base mount but was hoping there may be a more economical solution. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

What Bike are you talking about?

Simon has recently fitted one of these http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BM...GPS-Mounts.html to his R1100RT and he says it works well. It is very simple to mount and comes with the mounting block to han the GPS on.

It is stainless steel, but would blend in nicer (IMO) if it were satin black.

The R1150RT would find it even more solid, because the fairing is a little better supported internally.

The reason I quite like this unit is because it puts it up fairly near the sight line and so the rider does not have to look down for long. Also depending on where it is mounted along the bar (you can position it anywhere along it), you can choose the best visibility for you.

Andy

I had the same question about 6 months ago and came up with pretty much the same answers. But another option you can consider is the RAM resevoir cover mounts. part #s 345 and 346. They put the gps higher than mounting it to the handlebar bolts (although to the right or left of center depending on if you mount it to the front brake or clutch resevoir). But with a longer mounting arm, you can shift it towards the center of the bike. I considered using it for my Garmin Quest, which is very light. So I never considered the weight at the end of a long mounting arm a (potential) problem. I don't know if it might become a problem for the Zumo.

Good luck. Post some pictures after you're done.

I had the same question about 6 months ago and came up with pretty much the same answers. But another option you can consider is the RAM resevoir cover mounts. part #s 345 and 346. They put the gps higher than mounting it to the handlebar bolts (although to the right or left of center depending on if you mount it to the front brake or clutch resevoir). But with a longer mounting arm, you can shift it towards the center of the bike. I considered using it for my Garmin Quest, which is very light. So I never considered the weight at the end of a long mounting arm a (potential) problem. I don't know if it might become a problem for the Zumo.

Good luck. Post some pictures after you're done.

it's not an issue for my 2610 antique gps.

I just ordered the BMW GPS mount but its designed for the BMW shelf. My bike came with the shelf so it was a minimal investment to buy the bracket. I do like that the shef and bracket put the GPS up high and alot closer to the rider for easy access while riding. I will be doing a full install this weekend. One nice thing about the shelf is that there is a place for the XM antenna and a radar detector if I like.

well I ordered the BMR shelf today with the base for a zumo. A gps is important to me when I ride and figured it was probably worth the $$$ to get it. I should get it sometime next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get it installed the week between Christmas and New Years.

My BMR GPS bracket just showed up so i can now add it to the BMR shelf. It all seems like high quality stuff. I like having a place for my GXM antenna.

• 2 weeks later...

If I could jump in here with a question about the shelf... I have heard that they tend to flex a lot and cause the GPS to bounce around. Has anyone had this problem and if so were you able to fix it?

I have a BMR shelf on the K-bike with a touratech bracket for my GPS....rock solid and my favorite mount.

On the RTP, I fashoned a shelf from 1/4" plexi and used a standard GPS bracket. Took some adjusting but flexd is pretty minor. The secret seems to be long brackets reachi8ng down onto the dash.

The BMW shelf is rock solid. No flexing. I just used mine for a 2 day trip and no problems. It worked great. Here are a few crappy camera phone pictures of it with the BMW GPS mount.

BMWshelf1.jpg

GPS.jpg

Archived