IGNORED

What tankbags is everyone running?

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a tankbag to put on the 1150rt. I currently have a wolfman Rainier on my GS and while I love the pockets/quality it is a little big for everyday use. I was looking at the Wolfman Explorer because it is about half the height of the Rainier. I have been told that it is unlikely to be a good fit because it is a flat shaped tankbag. I was told that a RT/GS prefers a bag with some slope to it to make it fit correctly. So if that is true then what other medium to smaller sized bags would you recommend to look at? I'm looking for something fairly compact but with a few pockets and storage area for misc incidentals needed for riding around town or longer day rides.

I'm using the std BMW tankbag ( no pockets ) but fits most of what I need.

Just be aware that lots of tankbags catch the switches or restrict lock on the RT especially if yours has bar backs.

Good luck with the search

I use whatever tank bag I have at the time, An RKA currently and a Cortech waiting in the wings when the RKA dies.

RKA upper pocket has the zipper in the middle of the back. I prefer the compartments open from the top so stuff doesn't fall out. I've had bags that were 1 big compartment and others that were multiple compartments. Some have had external pockets too. More is handy because you should always have room for a spare rubber chicken or the like.

I must have gone through 7 or 8 by now. They all die eventually, all from being used excessively. Tank Bags, not rubber chickens.

Tank bag is a good place to carry your hydration device. easy to get at and not on your back.

Marsee Mr. Pockets on the Corona mount. Only gripe is that at full handlebar lock, either the windshield switch or starter gets mashed. I love the Corona mount, but may try a slightly smaller bag. It is built very well. I am quite happy with it.

RKA 19-Liter Shiloh Road. I like it. Nice fit. Very roomy. Reasonably priced. They sell them fully electrified (optional) if you're into that, I'm not.

I have a Wolfman Enduro tankbag on my DR350, along with Wolfman Dry Expedition saddlebags, and a Wolfman tailbag. Great products, but not for the RT.

I run a BMW tankbag on my K75. Like that one too, but very pricey.

Well I put the Wolfman on the tank after I got home and decided I'll just run it on both bikes. I ordered an extra set of straps to mount it on the RT. Thanks for info everyone but I think one tankbag makes more sense now that I thought about it because I can swap a loaded tankbag with my normal incidentals between bikes without having to load/unload tank bags. Thanks again.

Marsee Mr. Pockets on the Corona mount. Only gripe is that at full handlebar lock, either the windshield switch or starter gets mashed. I love the Corona mount, but may try a slightly smaller bag. It is built very well. I am quite happy with it.

+1 for Marsee. I have corona mount on RT, GT and Tiger and use mr. pockets. Honks my horn sometimes though. Usually when i'm right behind some real big, greasy, tatooed ape on a Harley!

+3 for the Big Mak. Excellent rain cover too. My genuine BMW bag scratched my paint on the R1100RT and I wasn't going to have that happen to my R1150RT. I love the ease of fueling. I'd own another.

Linz :)

This is the one i just put on my RT.

http://nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1645

I like it but i had to mount it backwards, with the carry handle in the front closer to the bars.

Ay least for me when i turned the bars the bags v ish shape hit my bars, so by turning it around with the narrower part at the front it clears my bars nicely. I got it on sale at Chapparel for about 40 bucks with the strap mounts and neopreen rubbery bottom and it never moves at all. Just enough room in it to carry a hat my sunglasses, wallet, cell phone, registration and a few other goodies. My favorite feature is the map pocket because i am not a GPS guy.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I have the same set-up, but no interference issue on the K12. Very pleased.

I'm pretty satisfied with my 10-year old Marsee tear-drop that expands from 15 to 20L and fits the tank slope on both the RT and the C. But like others have noted, bigger bags have a tendancy to get in the way of switch gear in a fully turned front wheel. Last I looked a few years ago, Marsee had a pretty wide variety of sizes and even at 10 years old, mine still looks like new -- very durable product. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok who makes Big-Mak tankbag? Does anybody make luggage bags for the saddlebags for a R1200rt besides BMW?

Big-mak....great design, well thought out, easy on/off.
Ok who makes Big-Mak tankbag? Does anybody make luggage bags for the saddlebags for a R1200rt besides BMW?

Big-mak....great design, well thought out, easy on/off.

I called and emailed Big Mak without a response so I ended up going with a wolfman bag.

Does anybody make luggage bags for the saddlebags for a R1200rt besides BMW?

If you are referring to liners for the existing saddlebags, Kathy's makes a good line of products. Look Here

I have a Rev Pack tank bag on my 96 1100RT and it works great. It's about 5 years old and going strong. Mounting is simple and effective, it holds a lot, and is relatively inexpensive. the map pocket is bigger and more accommodating than many too. Workmanship is very good. Just one main compartment and the map pocket but what more do you really need in a tank bag.

Foxy

Archived