IGNORED

Fatal C-17 Globemaster III aircraft mishap

Agent_Orange

Joe Frickin' Friday

Egad. Watched the video, and I could see it coming. Reminded me of Bud Holland: airshow practice, very aggressive maneuvers that exceeded prescribed bank angle limitations (in the name of putting on a good show), very close to the ground, at very low airspeed, that finally led to an inboard wing stall.

Crap.

Read 'USAF Aircraft Accident Investigation Board Report for Incident of 28 July 2010'. He was doing the airshow routine, but was outside of the aircraft's envelope. And had been doing so with this aircraft for some time. :(

Joe Frickin' Friday
From the video, it appears like he was trying to return to land on the runway he just departed from :eek:!!

From the accident report, that's exactly what he was doing - not to land, but to make a high-speed pass parallel to the runway.

5361.gif.f293160aa65b3347225985b369ba4f48.gif

Egad. Watched the video, and I could see it coming. Reminded me of Bud Holland: airshow practice, very aggressive maneuvers that exceeded prescribed bank angle limitations (in the name of putting on a good show), very close to the ground, at very low airspeed, that finally led to an inboard wing stall.

Crap.

Yep.

Friend of mine was the chief test flight pilot on that project. He would not have approved improper maneuvers.

Very sad and expensive in lives and otherwise.

Very sad, know some of the regular crew. Classic mistake, low-slow-high degree of bank-hard up elevator-aggressive rudder. The same mistake is seen when a pilot overshoots their turn to final, increases bank and applies aggressive rudder. Prayers for the families.

Thanks Mitch.... :thumbsup:

Didn't read the whole incident report. I just noticed on the vid that he was doing the manoeuvre/turn clean and not dirty and that it appeared to me that he may have been trying to land on the same runway. Your diagram showing the low pass manouevre explains all.....reminds me of the old saying about Old, Bold Pilots and all that :cry:.

Actually when one thinks about it, for all the complaints on this forum about motorcycle related activities, Air shows are one of the dumbest bits of macho induced stupidity going.

Lookee here what I can did with my 70 year old fighter plane...ooowheee bubba.

Just park the dang things and let folks have a look see at and in them.

I remember getting to go onboard an old Globe Masster at the Chino airport. Guided tour by the pilot. What a trip looking out the flight deck. Didn't need to feel it fly to enjoy the plane. Once they are up they all fly the same, as long as you don't do something dumb.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, some are faster, just like motorcycles, but the all rely on lift.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Here's the youtube video.

Same video as at OP's link. Unlike the B-52 crash in 1994, this time it seems the DoD has deliberately clipped the movie so as to not show the final impact.

"The footage has been edited to cut off just prior to the aircraft's impact, out of consideration and respect for the families of the deceased."

That SU-27 crash is wild.

I have to respect the pilot for not bailing out and "riding it to the end". Just before impact he seems to level the plane to possibly in effort to keep the left wing tip from hitting ground, and for a blink of an eye it seem he might, just might be able to save it. Until he hits the parked plane.

Wonder if it would have been possible to recover from that without any planes or other structures being on his "flight path".

--

Mikko

I recieved the official USAF safety brief on this accident. The insight in this thread is pretty dead on. Saw the Bud Holland BUFF crash brief also. As Mitch said, many similarities. Airshows have their place but require a high degree of aircrew discipline and leadership oversight. Bad things happen when both are missing...

That SU-27 crash is wild.

I have to respect the pilot for not bailing out and "riding it to the end". Just before impact he seems to level the plane to possibly in effort to keep the left wing tip from hitting ground, and for a blink of an eye it seem he might, just might be able to save it. Until he hits the parked plane.

Wonder if it would have been possible to recover from that without any planes or other structures being on his "flight path".

--

Mikko

They didn't ride it quite to the end. They both got out with minor injuries but 85 people died and another 100 or so were injured. Pilot was sentenced to 14 years and over $1 million fine and the other guy (weapons officer? co-pilot? I don't know what to call him) got 8 years and a big fine, too. Head of the air force was fired, other people resigned. Apparently, the pilot requested an extra training flight prior to the airshow but was denied.

Joe Frickin' Friday
"The footage has been edited to cut off just prior to the aircraft's impact, out of consideration and respect for the families of the deceased."

I figured that was the reason, and in retrospect, I'm surprised the same wasn't done for the video of the Bud Holland crash.

Archived