IGNORED

tank-bag mounting systems

rustyfingerz

I am searching the types of tank bag mounting systems. looking to get one for my 1150rt. Magnets are out, for obvious reasons. Using straps is a consideration.

I have been looking @ these. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2625/160/

If you notice they have a "quick disconnect" system. I have heard tell a OEM/bmw

system that tilts up? out of the way for easy refueling. Tryed searching dealer sites with no luck. Good someone post a pic or perhaps direct me to other options

in tank bag mounting?

Thanks

There is no tilt-up tankbag system from BMW. I have the Twisted Throttle SW-Motech quick disconnect system on my R1200GS and it works very well.

I also use the SW Motech quick lock system with the "Engage" electrified bag on my 1200GS. Will go to a bigger unit but keep the system. It is secure and quick to remove.

My R1150Rt came to me with a Saergent mount. Its a leather looking tank cover down the center. Its uses snaps so when you have the tank bacg, its just snams on from what I can see. I didnt get the tank bag itself, just the mount. I have no intentions of ever using it, since I dont like tank bags but it looks neat.

I just put a smallish nelson rigg TB on my RT and i used the strap system to the 2 bolts in the front of the tank, and the two bolts under the seat that hold on the tank cover. I used a soldiering iron to punch a small hole in the web strapping and used bolts with a washer on them to secure the strap to the tank and the rear tank cover and the straps have quick coupling buckles on them so i just unsnap the 2 front straps and tip it back to fill up. Takes me 3 second give or take to unbuckle and 6 seconds ish to recconnect. never moves and works great.

I got it on a closeout for 45 bucks and couldnt say no.

Thanks for the impute, have seen most except the Sargent. Marsee has a similar sys as the sw-motec. and I like the big mak flip style but not sure how that will mount on my fuel tank. can t get a pic on the Sargent piece. And like "kmac"s home style.

Thank u all again, I like hands on,see how it works, some of this stuff is ex$pensive. The web sites are more bout the bag , not about refueling.

Thanks for the impute, have seen most except the Sargent. Marsee has a similar sys as the sw-motec. and I like the big mak flip style but not sure how that will mount on my fuel tank. can t get a pic on the Sargent piece. And like "kmac"s home style.

Thank u all again, I like hands on,see how it works, some of this stuff is ex$pensive. The web sites are more bout the bag , not about refueling.

Well, I tried a image search but I couldnt fidn a pic of the Sargent system. So I went and took some pictures in the garage. 2 of these was on ym phone with bad lighting so I apologize for the crappy shots.

Info on the Sargent can be found here:

Sargent hardshell Tank bag

Pictures of my mounting (note: my bike did not come with the case)

Picture of the mount, there is also a mesh pocket at the bottom for holding misc items

tankmount2.jpg

Picture of the snaps on the leather bra:

tankmount1.jpg

Picture of how it looks on my bike:

saergentbra.jpg

Note, I cannot comment on how well it works, I can only show you the mount, I just wanted to bring it up as another option.

"Well, I tried a image search but I couldnt fidn a pic of the Sargent system."

cali-beemer

Seems to be the week area in tank bag tech. Not many of the companies

highlight there mounting for ease of fueling other than the few mentioned.

wouldn't happen to have a part # on that bib?

The Big Mak system is simple.

It replaces OEM screws from around the filler cap with longer ones that mount the platten.

That is what "flips" up/down and the bag mounts directly to it.

Had one for years.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

big mak for the 1150 is a bolt on OEM appearance solution. Had one on my 1100 for 11 years and 110,000 miles. never failed and works perfect. I just bought an 1200ST and moved it to that bike. just my opinion but big mak is the best.

You could go cheap, and have a perfectly serviceable setup. A magnetic bag...wait, read on. Most have a strap which goes around the steering head. That's all you need to keep the bag in place. The weight of the magnets will hold the bag down. At gas stops yo just flip it up out of the way. All you need do is be diligent about keeping debris off the bottom.

The downside to this is that under heavy braking the bag will slide forward...not interfering with anything, and you can pull it back with ease. I used this setup on my old Goldwing, and then on the R12RT for several years. Last year I switched to a Bags Connection bag simply because I wanted a small bag. If I need to carry a lot more stuff I'll put the magnetic bag back on. I used an Oxford Sports bag, which I doubt is still imported, but can be found on ebay. Excellent product.

Here, I even have a photo:

IMG_1607.jpg

"Well, I tried a image search but I couldnt fidn a pic of the Sargent system."

cali-beemer

Seems to be the week area in tank bag tech. Not many of the companies

highlight there mounting for ease of fueling other than the few mentioned.

wouldn't happen to have a part # on that bib?

It appears the bibs run about $40 but I dont see the 1150RT on there. You may need to call Sargent. The hard box runs around $250. If you run into any issues, let me know I may take mine off and send it to you. I wont ever use it, I hate tank bags.

I am searching the types of tank bag mounting systems. looking to get one for my 1150rt. Magnets are out, for obvious reasons. Using straps is a consideration.

I have been looking @ these. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2625/160/

If you notice they have a "quick disconnect" system. I have heard tell a OEM/bmw

system that tilts up? out of the way for easy refueling. Tryed searching dealer sites with no luck. Good someone post a pic or perhaps direct me to other options

in tank bag mounting?

Thanks

I like the RKA bag on my RT. Mounts securely yet is very easy to move out of the way to fuel. I can rarely get the "create link to photo" to work, but here's the link:

http://hs-thumb12.photoworks.com/render/?src=http%3A//image83.webshots.com/183/4/17/31/2248417310061932057wTRySU_ph.jpg&h=400&w=400&rotate=0

BMW Tankbags

It appears the bibs run about $40 but I dont see the 1150RT on there. You may need to call Sargent. The hard box runs around $250. If you run into any issues, let me know I may take mine off and send it to you. I wont ever use it, I hate tank bags.

Thanks I will give them a call,appreciate the offer on your bib,but like you say "it looks cool" and it will protect the top of your tank. Thanks again.

Not being anal about this whole process, but I have some time before a Spring trip.

Epoxy a few rare earth magnets (cheap on eBay) to the underside of the tank fairings and use any magnetic bag

I like that, thinking" outside the box" sort of thing. I do not want the bag to be permanent, thats why I like the Sargent bib style. By the way, I did called them & spoke to a lovely named Toni. She told me they discontinued that system. Inquired about old stock, yea allo.

I also use the SW Motech quick lock system with the "Engage" electrified bag on my 1200GS. Will go to a bigger unit but keep the system. It is secure and quick to remove.

+1 on the SW Motech quick lock setup. I have it on my K12GT and use the large "Bags Connection" tankbag made for the GS. Works like a champ. My wife and I did a cross country trip last August and it came in very handy.

Mac in Michigan

When I bought my 1150RT, it came with a Big Mac mount, but no bag. Ordered one and have been very, very happy with it. Attaching or removing it takes the same time as reading my first sentence. Just slide on and velcro. To remove, pull the velcro and slide off.

Different sizes and options are offered. Let me know if you'd like a photo or two, if I can figure out how to post them.

Regards - Don

Firstgear makes two bags which mount with suction cups or magnets. I have tried both on my 1999 R1100RT, but only in the garage. Both fit well, and the suction cups seem attached very well. The Laguna EXP is huge, much larger than I wanted, so I opted for the Laguna Mini, which was slightly smaller than I wanted, but fine. Both have windowed pockets for GPS, iPod, cellphone, etc. Build quality seems excellent as does design.

I haven't ridden the bike with the bag mounted, so I can't verify the integrity of the mounting yet. I'll report back as soon as time and weather allow.

Archived