IGNORED

Soyuz capsule "splashdown" pics!

KMG_365

"And the Cosmonauts were OK!..."

Man, that looks violent! Probably no more so than a splash-down in water, but it looks like it would hurt...

It IS the coolest thing I've seen this week! :thumbsup:

Very cool indeed.

Oddly, what struck me was that if I happened to find that thing down in one of my paddocks, my thoughts would be "who the hell dumped this old boiler in my damned paddock?"

Books and covers I guess.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Interesting pictures. Looks like typical 'eastern'. It works and it doesn't look like it would.

That is the same type of approach the US wants to take in the future.

I've been reading 'Dragonfly', all about the joint Nasa & Russia missions to Mir. It's nice to put a picture to the descriptions of the re-entry in the book.

I love the High Tech debarkation device. I wonder what they would have used if the capsule had ended up on its side or upside down...

"Hey, Yuri. Hand me jack handle out of 1973 Zil limo so I can pry capsule back upright".

"Sorry, comrade Borscht. Only thing in boot of limo is old RPG launcher."

"S'okay, Yuri. Will do until we invent crowbar."

Also note where the one dude put his right hand when he was helping the cosmonette down the ramp.

Hey, what was that 6 wheeled vehicle, blue with a white stripe, in the background?

I want one of those. Could you get one cheap at a government auction?

I love the High Tech debarkation device.

Nothing wrong with low tech. It does the job.

It would be an interesting comparison of costs between Soyuz recovery vs. Apollo recovery, or even the shuttle for that matter.

(Not every $1,000 problem needs a $10,000,000 solution...)

russell_bynum

It would be an interesting comparison of costs between Soyuz recovery vs. Apollo recovery, or even the shuttle for that matter.

If it's a stupid idea, but it works, then it isn't a stupid idea.

:thumbsup:

Thank goodness for those retro rockets. I wonder what the speed was once the chute opened and performed and then what the speed and impact was once the retro rockets fired. Beautiful Pics.

Try telling BMW that one!

Try telling BMW that one!

BMW believes every $1,000 problem needs multiple $1,000,000 answers, many of which are not solutions, but only new problems...

Archived