IGNORED

Furnace Ignitor

Ron_B

I woke up this morning freezing my butt off. Got down on the floor in the utility room, opened the furnace cover and slipped the Furnace Ignitor out of the clip. A portion of the element simply fell off, so I found one at a local heating place. Ace had a few, but not the model I needed. Fifty two dollars. I found them on Amazon for 25 bucks shipped, but it's 5 freaking degrees F outside, so I wanted it fixed right now. I think I'll order an extra one from Amazon so I won't be stuck again having to pay top dollar during a cold snap.

My place is 11 years old, and I bought it when it was 3, so I think this is first time it needed replacement. What is the normal life span of an Ignitor? Any tips on prolonging life?

the first one in our new (then) house lasted 5-1/2 yrs(4jan 2000), it seems they only die when its cold out, the first time it was -30c, the second time last december, -35c replace the flame sensor and ignitor,

i had considered servicing them during the summer but though hey no problem should still be good right?...

the repairman made big promised about how the new ones are going to last my lifetime...

Joe Frickin' Friday
My place is 11 years old, and I bought it when it was 3, so I think this is first time it needed replacement. What is the normal life span of an Ignitor?

This is a hot-surface ignitor (just glows red-hot before the gas turns on)? We had one crap out in '07. House was built in '94. I'm assuming it's original equipment, which would mean it lasted ~13 years.

Service guy came out and installed a new one for a nice fee. After examining the box it came in, I ordered a spare that now resides in the furnace room, ready for the next time.

Any tips on prolonging life?

Service guy said not to touch the element. If its behavior is anything like halogen bulbs, then skin oils will dramatically shorten its life. Other than that, I can't think of anything special that one could do to prolong its life.

Manufactures now are saying touching them doesn't make any difference...personally I'd refrain just in case..:)

Life span can be dependent on brand of furnace, cycle time, voltage and a few other things, best shot imho is have a spare and know how to put it in correctly.

Do not try and adapt the wrong igniter to your furnace, always use a like for like replacement.

Al

How am I supposed to afford both my BMW motorcycles if you guys keep buying furnace parts at the hardware store instead of calling a professional contractor?

Thanks for the insight Mitch. I'll make sure my guys take the parts boxes away with them. :grin:

How am I supposed to afford both my BMW motorcycles if you guys keep buying furnace parts at the hardware store instead of calling a professional contractor?

Thanks for the insight Mitch. I'll make sure my guys take the parts boxes away with them. :grin:

Move to Minnesota, right now we are swamped..:)

Al

Archived