IGNORED

BC

BlueByU

Ok.Looking to buy a 08 R1200RT with 6100 miles and it is at a NON BMW dealer and he knows less than I do about Beemers.But I have one question what does the BC buttom do on the right hand control.Is it for On Board Cumputer?

Tia Bob

Thanks Dave.It the Sand Beige Met.I was really thinking about a GS but the Wife & I want to do what we use to do on the Wing.But with less weight.It as the Equipment Package.So I will be trying to close the deal tomorrow.Just have to find a ride to go pick it up, or load it up in my Chevy 1500?

The BC can be a useful widgie and seems reliable enough though it is not necessary.

Get in the habit of resetting Trip 1 when you fuel up and never rely on the gauge or BC to try to run out the last bits of fuel. Fuel strips fail a bunch and sooner or later you're likely to have an issue if you rely on anything other than the trip meter. Figure to top up every 225 to be conservative and you'll never run out but nearly 400 miles is possible at steady 55-60 in 6th if you run the full capacity out. Most average about 42 mpg or better overall becasue staying to 55-60 is darn near impossible on a machine that wants to run 85 or so.

The BC has one minor annoyance. At any temp below 37F, its little snowflake freezing warning pops on and can't be permanently killed so it keeps obscuring whatever you'd rather have showing.

Also, on the 08/09 etc its tough to reach the BC with your thumb without removing your throttle hand. Its doable but a bit of an awkward stretch for a normal hand. Could be better ergos (compare to a 10 or 11 to see better).

The BC has one minor annoyance. At any temp below 37F, its little snowflake freezing warning pops on and can't be permanently killed so it keeps obscuring whatever you'd rather have showing.

Morning Racer7

This doesn’t seem to hold true on my last couple of RT’s . It does put the snow flake up in cold weather at start up/ride away but as soon as the BC button is pressed to bring up another function that function then shows.

Thanks Dave.It the Sand Beige Met.I was really thinking about a GS but the Wife & I want to do what we use to do on the Wing.But with less weight.It as the Equipment Package.So I will be trying to close the deal tomorrow.Just have to find a ride to go pick it up, or load it up in my Chevy 1500?

Congratulations on the find... that is a fine machine. Just one thing you need to know about any BMW and the RT in particular:

It is against the law to put one in the back of a pickup or on a trailer. Ride it everywhere !! :thumbsup:

In response to:

Poster: BlueByU

Subject: Re: BC

A couple of years ago I traded my 03 Wing for an RT. I love the RT. Enjoy your new ride.

Dirtrider,

Mines does indeed allow you to cycle through the other functions when its cold. But after a while it reverts back to the snowflake, even if the bike has not been shut off and restarted. Annoyed heck out of me riding in 25 degree stuff a few nights ago.

IIR, next time I'll time that behavior.

i think it was maybe 5 minutes or so to revert to the snowflake. Did it several times on my ride home.

Is this just a quirk of mine from some grunge in the switch? Switch seems fine otherwise- no obvious problems have ever happened with it and the bike is garaged when not in use.

Or maybe a software version for the bike? My RT is running on whatever it had when sold in 08. Not seen a dealer except for a brake line recall.

"...The BC has one minor annoyance. At any temp below 37F, its little snowflake freezing warning pops on ...."

That's just momma-Beemers way of telling you it's too danged cold to ride! Brrrrrr! :cry:

NOPE.

I am from sunny southern california where it has been in the 80s lately, BUT, we do get some cold fronts, once in a while.

I have never liked roding when it is cold. But I have been riding this year since I bought the BMW even in the cold. I have ridden it down to mid 30s and it has been no problem. Click on the grip heaters and be in behind the great wind protection with some decent clothes on and i was all good. I felt bad for my Bro-in-law on his FZ6. I ended up giving him my good thinsulated gloved because his hands were freezing since he only had unlined gloves. He was tripped out when he slipped on my gloves and they were warm and toasty inside and even a bit sweaty. I love the protection and amenities of the RT.

CoarsegoldKid

When you get the bike hopefully it has a owners manual. Read it a couple of times. It may not be accurate but it will answer many of your questions. We can too.

Looks like the deal is done and I will be heading to NV to pick up my FIRST Beemer.I need to get there and back as a good storm is on it's way for later this week.Thanks for all the advise and more question to come believe me.

• 7 months later...
"...The BC has one minor annoyance. At any temp below 37F, its little snowflake freezing warning pops on ...."

That's just momma-Beemers way of telling you it's too danged cold to ride! Brrrrrr! :cry:

Ha... yes, the Beemer cages have an audible tone at 38F. The car forums have various theories: it's when the environment makes for maximum engine performance (!?), it's to do some with German legal requirement, etc. The real story, so the owner's manual says, is that it's a warning of frost that might appear on bridges or other exposed road segments.

Archived