IGNORED

Tail of Dragon: Where to stay?

UberXY

I am riding to Asheville on the RR in the spring to take care of some bidness, and I figure I ought to get up early the next morning and head off for the obligatory ToD ride.

Anyone care to suggest a nice place to stay (non-B&B) near Robbinsville or thereabouts? My criteria are clean, comfortable rooms with reasonably safe bike parking, and a short walk to dinner/beer.

Or would it make more sense to just go 2 hours back to Asheville after doing ToD both ways and enjoy another night of Asheville's fine restaurants and bars and flirty waitresses and hotels?

Thanks for any good tips.

I can't help you on the lodging question but I will tell you that middle of the week is the best (read only) time to ride the Dragon. Weekends are absolutely stupid. Also, don't miss the Cherahola Skyway...

#1 Maggie Valley Hotels

#2 Robbinsville Hotels

I would avoid Gatlinburg.

In addition to the Dragon, ride:

209 from Maggie Valley up to Hot Springs.

276 to Brevard.

Wayah Road from Franklin to Topton

Cherohala (both ways)

BRP from Cherokee to Asheville.

There have been several BMWST events at The Maggie Valley Inn. Plenty of restaurants nearby.

The Dragon can be crazy on the weekends, which is not fun. Any of these other roads are a better bet, with my personal favorite being 209.

Rather than spending last business night in Asheville, head down to Waynesville, NC and stay at the Oak Park Inn. Very MC friendly and a block away from a great bakery for b'fast. Or to Clyde's restaurant about a mile in the opposite direction if you'd prefer the bacon & eggs routine. Head down through Sylva, to Franklin. Here's where the real fun begins on the way to the Dragon...

Take Rte. 28 northwest to US 129. 28 & 129 is where the Dragon begins. Pit stop at the Deals Gap MC store. Ride to the top, back down. Repeat if you're so inclined. Stop back at the MC store and get a set of dragon decals (you're earned them). Head away from the Dragon on 129 to Robbinsville. The Cherohala Skyway is a must! Go clockwise around the reservoir and back down the Dragon. And back to Asheville the same way you came. A long day's ride to be sure, but worth every minute and every mile!

Steve, Check out Fontana Village. Haven't stayed there but I know it's pretty nice. It's just up the road from the dragon and they've got 2 or 3 restaurants on site.

Steve, Check out Fontana Village. Haven't stayed there but I know it's pretty nice. It's just up the road from the dragon and they've got 2 or 3 restaurants on site.

+1 good food there, and they are really bike friendly. My brother has stayed there a couple times which means it is cheap.

And at least fairly clean.... :dopeslap:

If you do stay in Robbinsville or environs, and enjoy a brew or other spirits at the end of the day, bring your own ... Clarke county is 'dry'.

It might help to know which direction you are going to head towards from there.

Coming from Asheville provides you with many choices of roads to follow.

After riding the area I would choose my bivouac based on time of day and where I was going the next day.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A fellow from Knoxville told me about 209 and said it was awesome. Thanks for backing that up, Art.

Tman: I'll be coming from Asheville and returning to Virginia, possibly back thru Ahseville, or north on the BRB, or maybe via Knoxville and I-40. I am very flexible on time and scheduling, and some days I don't really make up my mind about where to end up at night until I am actually on the bike in the morning and riding, so whatever and where ever is fine.

Weekend riding. Good advice. I ride in the mountains here in Virginia and in our neighbor West Virginia only Mondays thru Thursdays, as the roads are squid free. I only see one or two bikes on weekdays, usually just geezers like me, and there is a very limited law enforcement presence. :)

Rather than spending last business night in Asheville, head down to Waynesville, NC and stay at the Oak Park Inn. Very MC friendly and a block away from a great bakery for b'fast. Or to Clyde's restaurant about a mile in the opposite direction if you'd prefer the bacon & eggs routine. Head down through Sylva, to Franklin. Here's where the real fun begins on the way to the Dragon...

Take Rte. 28 northwest to US 129. 28 & 129 is where the Dragon begins. Pit stop at the Deals Gap MC store. Ride to the top, back down. Repeat if you're so inclined. Stop back at the MC store and get a set of dragon decals (you're earned them). Head away from the Dragon on 129 to Robbinsville. The Cherohala Skyway is a must! Go clockwise around the reservoir and back down the Dragon. And back to Asheville the same way you came. A long day's ride to be sure, but worth every minute and every mile!

+1 on Waynesville, which is a nice little town, with some decent restaurants -- much nicer than Maggie Valley.

Alternatively, take highway 28 south until it ends at highway 107, then north to 64, then a short distance east on 64 to Rosman, then 215 north to the BRP (freshly paved, beautiful asphalt).

If your schedule makes it appropriate, stop for lunch or dinner at Caffe Rel in Franklin (next to the Hot Spot gas station). If you want to stay in Franklin, there should be lots of places to stay in/around-- the staff at Caffe REL may be able to give you some advice. Highlands is very touristy, and there is essentially nothing between Highlands and the end of 28 where it T's into 107. If you have time, you could take the BRP north from 215 to the Pisgah Inn, which as good food and great views.

+1 on Waynesville, which is a nice little town, with some decent restaurants.

Alternatively, take highway 28 south until it ends at highway 107, then north to 64, then a short distance east on 64 to Rosman, then 215 north to the BRP (freshly paved, beautiful asphalt). If your schedule makes it appropriate, stop for lunch or dinner at Caffe REL in Franklin (next to the Hot Spot gas station). I don't know any specifics, but there should be lots of places to stay in/around Franklin -- the staff at Caffe REL may be able to give you some advice.

Archived