IGNORED

Speaking of Verizon--a Question

Dave39

We live out in the boonies and the only internet options are satellite (expensive/slooow), a cell phone connection or Frontier DSL. I use the latter and it is cheap but slow and sporadic. My son uses Verizon internet on his laptop. It's not much faster than my DSL, but more reliable and completely portable. My question is, can one use a Verizon internet connection on a home wireless network for multiple computers? Seems like it would work if there was some way to plug the little USB modem thingy into a wireless router, but it's not clear from the Verizon web site.

It's possible to share the Verizon broadband connection among all the Wi-Fi devices you have at home.

But not by connecting the Verizon USB modem to a WLAN Router.

There are two ways you can do this.

1) Windows Vista supports feature called "SoftAP". In that mode the Windows computer acts as "soft" (as in software based) router, routing the traffic between the WAN connection from the USB modem and the LAN connection via its WLAN card.

Similar features are also available in other OS's but the Windows SoftAP is most widely used.

2) Or, you can get a "Mobile Hotspot" from Verizon.

It is a small device that integrates a 3G modem and a small WLAN router. They are dead simple to configure and use but the range and performance is limited due to being primarily battery powered and using then small (=inefficient) internal antennas.

--

Mikko

Mikko, I was under the impression my Verizon Droid X could be used as a mobile hotspot...haven't ever bothered to try it. Would that be a solution?

Mikko, I was under the impression my Verizon Droid X could be used as a mobile hotspot...haven't ever bothered to try it. Would that be a solution?

Yeah, I totally forgot about those smartphones!

They can do the soft AP also. It works fine, surprising well actually.

--

Mikko

Dave,

We just got a Verizon MiFi last week which replaced both a cradlepoint wifi router and a Verizon UM 175 aircard.

The new device is about the size of a playing card and a 1/4 inch thick.

Love it.

Our choice is either wireless or dish.

We just got a Verizon MiFi last week which replaced both a cradlepoint wifi router and a Verizon UM 175 aircard.

Love it.

About 6 to 7 years ago I and colleague of mine put together a portable 3G to WLAN gateway a proposal with industrial design, HW & SW block diagrams, medium level HW design, BOM estimate, marketing plan etc.

The envisioned device was a dead ringer to what these Verizon mobile hotspots are.

We were told by "the management" no one would ever buy/need such a device.

Funny thing is that we called the thing "MyFi" :)

--

Mikko

Did you mark it confidential or patent any of it (if it was patentable)? You could have an infringement case on your hands.

Tom

I'm pretty sure the proposal was marked confidential, I'd have to dig up the old notes and the Powepoints to be sure.

But it doesn't really matter.

Like everyone else in this industry we would have signed a contract with our the employee of that time and part of that contract is always a clause that states something along the lines of "Any and all intellectual property you will generate or come up with as the course of your work with ProcessorsInc is property of ProcessorsInc and by signing this contract you give up all rights to such intellectual property." Or something like that.

I feel good about coming up that idea before any such products were available at the market. I didn't get anything out of it but at least it proved to myself that I'm pretty good at what I'm doing. Sometimes just that's worth a lot.

--

Mikko

Check on the WWW.EVDOFORUMS.COM website Theres a lot of good info there. I use an NTELOS modem hooked to a Cradlepoint MBR1000 wireless router to do just what you want. My son can connect with the WII, his PSP and any number of laptops or desktops with a wifi connection. Some of the routers will support multiple modems for faster speed if needed and automatically load balance the traffic. If reception is sketchy you can also get signal boosters, repeaters and external antennas.

Archived