IGNORED

Bridgestone BT-023 GT tires

georgeb

The new Bridgestone tires GT version is designed specifically for heavier ST bikes. They have a fitment to equal the front standard size, but with the 02 R1150RT rear size being 170/60-17 Bridgestone only offers the 180/55-17. According to an online tire size calculator, the differences are listed below.

170x60xR17-180x55xR17.png

Could I get away with the slightly wider tread?

Bridgestones BT-023 site

Per RT Russ's recomendations, I put the BT-023 on my RT. Becasue fo the size, you can run a GT up front but not in the back. I will let Russ chime in but in another thread I believe he said he called Bridgestone and said the mixing is fine. I ordered teh GT up font and non-GT in the back. I only have 100 miles on them so its hard for me to make any claims, but so far they seem to grip well. I am not leaning real far yet becasue they are still new and getting scuffed in.

Was the BT-023 designed as a specific upgrade/replacement for the plush-riding BT-021?

Whatzzat "GT" designation?

Lower rear leads to slightly slower handling. Almost certainly not an issue, if they don't rub on the swing-arm.

They mention being less sensitive to temperature. Sounds good to me. Last winter I rode on very sporty tires (Metzler M1 front and, I think BT-014 rear) and these were fiercely slippery when cold and I was sure I had low air prsssure until they warmed up a bit after a mile or so.

Fortunately, tires have a negative-feedback cycle that tends towards correct regulation of temperature and pressure.

Ben

chilly in Toronto

Afternoon George

Probably a little more to it than your chart shows.

I would imagine the width and circumference given in your chart is based on different rim widths. The 170/60 usually uses a 5” rim width and the 180/55 usually uses a 5.5” rim width.

Mounting the 180/55 on your stock 02 RT’s 5” wide rim will pinch the side walls in and add more crown to the tire’s center. I do know some do it but you really should try and keep the proper rim width for your tire size.

Maybe call Bridgestone’s tec help and ask their opinion on using the BT 023 in 180/55 on your 5’ wide rim. (I have a feeling I already know their answer)

Per RT Russ's recomendations, I put the BT-023 on my RT. Becasue fo the size, you can run a GT up front but not in the back. I will let Russ chime in but in another thread I believe he said he called Bridgestone and said the mixing is fine. I ordered teh GT up font and non-GT in the back. I only have 100 miles on them so its hard for me to make any claims, but so far they seem to grip well. I am not leaning real far yet becasue they are still new and getting scuffed in.

I did indeed contact Bridgestone about mixing the GT and non-GT BT-023 tires. They said no concern on mixing them. I asked about a 170/60 in GT and they told me that they would not be making that size in the GT version due to low demand (# on models using that size). I would no try going with the 180/55 on my 02 RT as the 170/60 rubs in the muffler when removing it. I imagine that the 180/55 would be much worse.

I would no try going with the 180/55 on my 02 RT as the 170/60 rubs in the muffler when removing it. I imagine that the 180/55 would be much worse.

I noticed that as well when I put mine on. Its a tight fit.

Why not just choose a brand that has the correct size? :S:dopeslap:

They do offer the correct size, just not the GT version in the rear. Handling wise, the non-GT doesnt seem like an issue. Only time will tell on wear but it is a dual compound tire.

Well what I ended up with in the rear is the standard BT-023, and will likely go with a GT version in the front. I currently have a roadsmart in the front. When I was commuting I was going through 3-4 sets of tires a year, but now I don't rack up the miles quite as quickly. So far i am happy with the BT-023.

Doesn't the 1200 RT use a 180/55 on the rear?

Doesn't the 1200 RT use a 180/55 on the rear?

Morning George

Yep, sure does but the rear rim width is 5.5” on the 1200 RT. Your 02 1150RT rear rim is 5” wide.

Archived