IGNORED

ESA experts, is my ESA dying?

swilson

I searched for ESA threads, but couldn't find what I needed. My RT has 34k miles now and until today no ESA abnormalities. Today I went to switch the shock preload from single rider to two up while getting it ready for my coworker who was borrowing it to take his wife to the coast (trying to convince her to let him buy one :-). Usually after changing the setting the helmet symbols flash for about 5 seconds as you can feel the ride height changing, then it stops and the symbols no longer flash.

Today it only flashed and raised up for about 1-2 seconds and then stopped. Tried multiple times to get it to work and no luck. I played with it more tonight after getting my bike back. Still no luck, until it I put it on the center stand. Then it seemed to work normally. Off the center stand again, wouldn't work. So it seemed to me like the motor that controls the preload was weak and unable to do its job with weight on the rear suspension. Does it sound like the ESA is on its way out? Was I supposed to be doing the preload change on the center stand all along?

I wish... warranty is over. I guess I'll chat with the dealer about this week when RT-P goes in. Normally this would have been just the excuse I needed to get some Ohlins, but no can do this year.

I am not a ESA expert but could it be a weak battery? ESA adjustments are electric so it could be. To adjust it while on the center stand it needs less power as it does not have to lift the bike's weight. I would try two things: Try the ESA adjustment with the engine running at around 3.000 rpm so the alternator is at full power, and try it right after having ridden for at least 1/2 hour.

I am not a ESA expert but could it be a weak battery? ESA adjustments are electric so it could be. To adjust it while on the center stand it needs less power as it does not have to lift the bike's weight. I would try two things: Try the ESA adjustment with the engine running at around 3.000 rpm so the alternator is at full power, and try it right after having ridden for at least 1/2 hour.

The battery is in good shape. I also tried it after just after the bike had been on a several hour ride, so I can rule out low voltage.

malcolmblalock

My ESA gave up at about 75k miles. I won't bore you with all the details, but one thing I learned is that the ESA is controlled by the bike's electrical computer, and that if the electrical draw to the motor exceeds a certain amount, the computer shuts down that circuit (Canbus at work, doing it's job). The motor for the ESA may be getting older, or if it was cold, the current draw may have been too high, shutting down power to the motor.

I also learned that it is better to get the ESA set before placing the higher weight on the bike, for the reasons mentioned above, particularly if the motor is beginning to weaken or if the temperatures are cold. Knowing what I know now, I'd do ESA changes while on the centerstand, even though it should not be necessary. A pound of prevention...

ESAs are very expensive, so I now take much more care of the one on my newer bike.

Good luck!

The ESA on my old ST became problematic when the battery was changed, the shock was reprogrammed and it then worked again OK. This was 2 months before the warranty was up (2 years in Aus)

6 months later (I think it was May 09) the ESA system failed totally & BMW wanted AU$3500 for replacement.

After complaining bitterly through phone calls and emails they finally agreed the replacement if I paid labour.

They also had to replace the ESA computer as well as the upgraded shock would "not" mate with the new upgraded shock. That' something to look out for as well.

I think personally once they start playing up there is no coming back and it is time to replace OEM or go aftermarket with Ohlins/Wilbers etc...

Cheers Teddy

I searched for ESA threads, but couldn't find what I needed. My RT has 34k miles now and until today no ESA abnormalities. Today I went to switch the shock preload from single rider to two up while getting it ready for my coworker who was borrowing it to take his wife to the coast (trying to convince her to let him buy one :-). Usually after changing the setting the helmet symbols flash for about 5 seconds as you can feel the ride height changing, then it stops and the symbols no longer flash.

Today it only flashed and raised up for about 1-2 seconds and then stopped. Tried multiple times to get it to work and no luck. I played with it more tonight after getting my bike back. Still no luck, until it I put it on the center stand. Then it seemed to work normally. Off the center stand again, wouldn't work. So it seemed to me like the motor that controls the preload was weak and unable to do its job with weight on the rear suspension. Does it sound like the ESA is on its way out? Was I supposed to be doing the preload change on the center stand all along?

Yup, I would say it's failing. 1000KM after mine was replace for the second time, mine has failed again. And the warranty ran out a month ago and the front shock is leaking now.

Archived