IGNORED

I need quad reccomendations for a 6 year old

cali_beemer

My daughter jus tturned six and she has been eyeing the quads in the shop for a long time now. I thought it might be fun to get her one to take out in the fields and play around on. I believe 6 is the min age to get on one. I would want somethign cheap but not sure who makes what in the land of little quads. Does Kymco make something. I am looking ofr something cheap. I am not sure at how well she will do with it. My daughter is a girly girl really into barbies and I figured this might be somethign to help pull her out of that. I think she would like it, she loves it when I drive the truck through the mud or an occasional hill climb. I think theres a little redneck in her somewhere, I just need to find it.

LINKY

LINKY2

Why "pull her out" of anything that she is interested in that is neither destructive or bad for her? Daddy dress up is DA BOMB!!

You will regret putting her in to your things instead of encouraging her in to her things. With a son who turns 18 next month, a 14 y/o step daughter, and a new born I feel comfortable saying this. But, you gets what youse pays for.......

Those 2 links are a bit contradictary in terms of requirements. I was looking at this:

Suzuki 50cc quad

and the description shows that its designed for ages 6 years old under adult supervision. I should note that I wouldnt take her to any off road parks, it would be a open field with no one around.

check your state regs

here, under 16, must take safety course using a 90cc or smaller, must wear helmet

unless on private land must follow manufacturer's recommendation for cc/age

around here, most private areas open to the public require that too

seems like I'd wait until she started to express interest in the activity

I like the Japanese four strokes. I have an Arctic Cat that was made by Kymco and have not had good luck with it and a Polaris 90 made by Kymco that has been trouble every day of its life. Overall quality seems marginal at best. I will keep my Honda four wheelers to drag my Kymcos to the junk yard...

Suzuki and Kawi make 50cc four stroke quads I believe. Polaris has a 50cc quad but it is made by Kymco also.

All three of my kids have had MCs and ATVs and all prefer the quads. I ensured they understood that if a quad turns over it hurts. Bad. I also ensured they were ATGATT and I used the throttle limiters liberally.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
I figured this might be somethign to help pull her out of that.

I think I know what you're saying. You're just looking to round her out. That's cool. Soccer does that and, at that age U8, can be hilarious to watch. I think the bigger thing is to just get them out of the house but, expanding their circle of friends helps later. Rec leagues often have classmates in them but also others.

My 22 year old Corpsman was a girly girl. Soccer helped her cope, a little bit, with the girl garbage that starts in junior high. As it turns out, Dads aren't supposed to tell their daughters to put the mean girls into garbage cans. Who knew? I still think it would have worked.

As far as powersports, I'd probably stay away from quads and stick to things that will fall over for speed vs. control reasons. A quad can let them go faster than they might be able to control and then it has the unique property of wanting to run over or flip onto the operator. Had my share of quads over the years.

I think I know what you're saying. You're just looking to round her out. That's cool. Soccer does that and, at that age U8, can be hilarious to watch. I think the bigger thing is to just get them out of the house but, expanding their circle of friends helps later. Rec leagues often have classmates in them but also others.

My 22 year old Corpsman was a girly girl. Soccer helped her cope, a little bit, with the girl garbage that starts in junior high. As it turns out, Dads aren't supposed to tell their daughters to put the mean girls into garbage cans. Who knew? I still think it would have worked.

As far as powersports, I'd probably stay away from quads and stick to things that will fall over for speed vs. control reasons. A quad can let them go faster than they might be able to control and then it has the unique property of wanting to run over or flip onto the operator. Had my share of quads over the years.

She is a bit adventueous and daring at times, but she does sometimes shy away if things are tough. She loves fast rollercoasters, she snow skis and she has doen waterskiing behind the boat. We also bought her, her own wakeboard and she is trying to learn that. I am just trying to get her into some things that I think we can enjoy more together, especially as she gets older. Eventually I would like to see the both of us on quads and doing trails. I looked into buying a Polaris RZR since she could be strapped into that and we could go together. I just cant do 10k for one and I wouldnt pay that much for something that would not get used that much.

Polaris makes a Razor 170 that is kid sized. Will pull an adult and a kid I hear. $4K new, I've seen nice ones for less than $2500.

She is a bit adventueous and daring at times, but she does sometimes shy away if things are tough. She loves fast rollercoasters, she snow skis and she has doen waterskiing behind the boat. We also bought her, her own wakeboard and she is trying to learn that. I am just trying to get her into some things that I think we can enjoy more together, especially as she gets older. Eventually I would like to see the both of us on quads and doing trails. I looked into buying a Polaris RZR since she could be strapped into that and we could go together. I just cant do 10k for one and I wouldnt pay that much for something that would not get used that much.

We started our son out at that age on a yamaha raptor 80. It was reasonable at $2500. new, and you should find one used reasonable. Has adjustable throttle stop and a tether cord shut off so you can trot along beside the first few times out. They really learn fast and these will keep them entertained for 2 years or more.

Why "pull her out" of anything that she is interested in that is neither destructive or bad for her?

+1

I recently got a used 50cc Chinese Z50 bike for my son who is just turning age 7. He really wanted it. My daughter is age 9. As with your daughter, she loves her dolls. I offer things like bike rides and she did ride the 50cc bike, but she hasn't asked to ride again. She loves a ride on my quad in the snow and would ask for many rides. But she has no desire to drive it. I certainly am not going to push her. The ball is in her court.

BTW, my brother has one of those 50cc quads for his son. He had a lot of fun on it. But, as with all ATVs, they tip over and tend to role over you. That quad will role over. My nephews's did and it got garaged for quite some time after that. ATV's require lots of body language to force the tires to slip rather than tipping over the machine. It's a lot more to learn that initially thought. A bike is better IMO.

I shouldnt have said, "pull her out of" the dolls and barbies. I think she would enjoy the quad, she has asked for one when I take her to the motorcycle shops. Everytime we go to the motorcycle shop, she asks when she is old enoguht to ride a quad. She had alot of fun when I had her on a friends dirt bike. She didnt want to stop. This isnt something I plant to force upon her. I have a firm belief in letting her do what she wants in terms of hobbies. I just figured that this would be a good common ground interest to get into. Its not as if she has never seen a quad and I plan to bring one home and tell her she needs to ride it......LOL.... she has actually asked for one many times.

russell_bynum
Why Quad? Why not get her on a 50cc dirt bike instead?

I dont think she could do a dirt bike, the quad would be more stable.

Can she ride a bicycle?

My little brother started on a 50cc dirt bike at about her age...he did just fine.

Quads are stable only in the sense that they are not likely to fall over when you stop. Otherwise, they're nasty top-heavy critters that just love to roll over.

Can she ride a bicycle?

My son has been asking for a year for a motorcycle. I told him he had to ride in the dirt. Then, I told him he had to be able to ride his bicycle in the dirt first. He then pulled the bicycle out and failed to be able to ride it around the house. Although, by the end of the summer, he was zooming around the house on his bicycle.

Quads are stable only in the sense that they are not likely to fall over when you stop. Otherwise, they're nasty top-heavy critters that just love to roll over.
Yup. And even the 50cc quads easily role. And it happens at higher rates of speed. In other words, not right away. Higher speed and roling are a bad combo.

Cali_beemer, I'd say you should go get her something if she wants it. It is your call as to what it is. My daughter would likely never role an ATV. She is an amazing listener. My son on the other hands is just like his dad. OMG he rides that edge.

My 50cc chinese bike cost me $100 and has been taken all appart. My son likes wrenching too.

Hope you two have fun ! Please share the pics !

Archived