IGNORED

Kids on motorcycles....your thoughts?

cali_beemer

(yes, I've had track tire blowouts, brake failures ,etc etc- they're actually not that big a deal if you keep you wits about you)

To make such a universal and generalized statement seems naive.

Just ask Michele Alboreto, Gordon Smiley, Ayrton Senna, Scott Brayton. Or ask AJ Foyt about his crash at Road America.

Or any number of drivers who've died or been seriously injured at track days.

The point the "old geezers' (who, BTW have not stooped to name calling) seem to be making is that there are so many uncontrollable potentially fatal and dangerous situations that child/young passengers are exposed to that are beyond YOUR (and their) control that intentions, gear, maturity etc have no impact on. They simply seem to be saying that there are just as many things and activities that bring smiles and bonding and growth that don't have the previously mentioned consequences.

That's easy enough to understand, isn't it?

How I would feel if my GF were injured or killed as a result of riding on the back of my bike I can't comprehend.

Afternoon WTA, Your comments take us back to the same subject, Everything in life is a RISK! At what point do you decide to shelter your kids from life?

People have died from the water they drink, see erin brokovich, the air we breath, the food we eat. Do we shelter them from air, food, and water? Of course not.

Kids die from reactions to medicine, see SJS from Motrin, and some still argue that vacinations can cause Autism. Do we not give our kids medicine and vaccines? Again Of course we do.

Even as an old fart myself, If i dont get out and get a little dangerous once in a while, i would die of boredom. So what do we just not let our kids do anything fun and exciting and maybe a little dangerous? Then what they hang themselves over boredom?

I disagree with not letting kids have some fun even if it is dangerous...of course as controlled and trained as possible.

Beginning in 1998, when my son was nine years old, we took several motorcycle trips together on my R90/6 and later on my R1150RA. This was over the strenuous objections of my parents. I was somewhat taken aback by their vehemence, so I did what you did and asked the opinion of friends. What probably put my mind at ease was the strong endorsement from a friend who doesn't ride. He felt that the time spent together doing something exciting was worth the elevated risk.

That first year we rode from San Francisco to the BMWMOA National Rally in Missoula, Montana and back, camping most of the time. In following years we went to Legoland in southern California, traveled through the southwest twice (Grand Canyon, Roswell, Moab), attended the first BMWMOA rally in Redmond, again camping most of the time. Out last trip together was on the R1150RA to the BMWMOA rally in Spokane, followed by a ride through British Columbia to Hyder, AK.

Last week I was looking at a photo album of pictures from those trips. There's my skinny little son standing as tall as he could in front of the overloaded /6. I'm older and more cautious now, and I say to myself, "What was I thinking?" But, I'm glad we did it.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA, Kawasaki, Suzuki

Beginning in 1998, when my son was nine years old, we took several motorcycle trips together on my R90/6 and later on my R1150RA. This was over the strenuous objections of my parents. I was somewhat taken aback by their vehemence, so I did what you did and asked the opinion of friends. What probably put my mind at ease was the strong endorsement from a friend who doesn't ride. He felt that the time spent together doing something exciting was worth the elevated risk.

That first year we rode from San Francisco to the BMWMOA National Rally in Missoula, Montana and back, camping most of the time. In following years we went to Legoland in southern California, traveled through the southwest twice (Grand Canyon, Roswell, Moab), attended the first BMWMOA rally in Redmond, again camping most of the time. Out last trip together was on the R1150RA to the BMWMOA rally in Spokane, followed by a ride through British Columbia to Hyder, AK.

Last week I was looking at a photo album of pictures from those trips. There's my skinny little son standing as tall as he could in front of the overloaded /6. I'm older and more cautious now, and I say to myself, "What was I thinking?" But, I'm glad we did it.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

+1, VERY COOL!

I can't wait for the day my kids are old enough to ride with me. However, I've seen a few kids that look like they were hanging on for dear life by their fingernails because of their age. When my kids are old enough to sit on the bike properly (feet on pegs etc), have safety gear that fits their size and are strong enough to hold on to me like a normal passenger I'll be taking them out. It's more of a judgement call because only you will know when your kids are ready.

As a kid, my father took me out on a couple of short rides on his bike. Probably way before he should've, I was only 4 I think and held onto the gas tank. But I'll never forget how awesome that was.

Beginning in 1998, when my son was nine years old, we took several motorcycle trips together on my R90/6 and later on my R1150RA.

I think that is awsome. I'd love a long trip as yours with my kids!

racer7, I agree 100% with you about involving your kids with risk. BMX, skiing, motorcycling, skydiving. sports whatever. But when kids get hurt, you have failed as a parent IMO. Sure, freak tragic accidents happen. But, most the time, there are warning signs that the kid is at too high of risk and is in danger of getting hurt. For instance, he rides his bicycle into the road three consecutive rides without looking for a car. Warning! Don't bring the kid to a busy street yet! He rides his 50cc minibike great on the lawn, but scared to ride in the woods. Warning! Don't upgrade the bike to the CR80 that he wants! Often it isn't that simple. One thing for sure, you as a parent need to know the situation quite clearly. When your kid is off somewhere unattended, are you going to be certain? Hard call.

If you as a parent know your child and know what environment you are putting your child into, you should know what level of risk is involved. If acceptable, go for it. If not, don't. It is your call and you are to blame if he gets hurt. If the child gets hurt often, then I would question the quality of your parenting. Even if the kid was getting hurt walking!

russell_bynum
But when kids get hurt, you have failed as a parent

I disagree. Nobody wants to see their kids get hurt, but I don't view a parent's job as making sure that they never get hurt. Getting hurt is part of life. Our job is making sure they don't get, as Kenny Robert's says "Seriously hurt or seriously killed"

I disagree. Nobody wants to see their kids get hurt, but I don't view a parent's job as making sure that they never get hurt. Getting hurt is part of life. Our job is making sure they don't get, as Kenny Robert's says "Seriously hurt or seriously killed"

+1, my daughter broke her arm when she fell off the top of a bounce house slide this last summer. Does this mean I failed as a parent becasue I let her go on a bounce house? Should she never be allowed to go on one again? Or am I a bad parent because I have already let her go back on a bounce house slide since then? Kids are always going to get hurt at some point but what dont kill ya, only makes you stronger. Right? :thumbsup:

russell_bynum

+1, my daughter broke her arm when she fell off the top of a bounce house slide this last summer. Does this mean I failed as a parent becasue I let her go on a bounce house? Should she never be allowed to go on one again? Or am I a bad parent because I have already let her go back on a bounce house slide since then? Kids are always going to get hurt at some point but what dont kill ya, only makes you stronger. Right? :thumbsup:

Stronger...and hopefully smarter.

Pain is nature's way of saying "Don't do that again." :Cool:

+3

(I have 3 kids, 9,6,4 and the two oldest have already been riding with me)

Stronger...and hopefully smarter.

Pain is nature's way of saying "Don't do that again." :Cool:

IMO, if the kid gets hurt, the parent has failed. Parents are humans too. Suck it up. You feel really bad when your kid gets hurt, right? You should. This does NOT mean you should never do that one thing again or hold your kid back. Your not going to win the first race you enter. All I am saying is parents should play the game with no injury as a top level goal, above winning.

"No pain no gain" is BS. You can learn without getting hurt. If not, why do we support MSF and other training?

I agree NO injuries should be a priority and out weigh the win at all cost ideas.

But that is why we put out kids in whatever protective gear is the norm for that sport, train as well as we can to do the sport properly, supervise them while they do the activity and carry health insurance for the occasional mishap.

I have tried to make the point a couple of times that everything can be dangerous, where do we draw the line? Obviously that line will be different for each family. But being too conservative can alienate some kids and drive them away.

No one thinks twice about giving their kid a bicycle or letting them play baseball. Yet more kids get hurt on bicycles than anything else. I cant find it right now, but i saw an insurance company statistic that showed for every 10,000 kids that ride bicycles compared to 10,000 kids that ride motorcycles there about 11% more injuries on bicycles than MC. Serious injuries, not just scrapped knees.

I also have a friend that was playing baseball and slid into 3rd at a full run. His heel caught the bag pulled it out of the anchor. His knee snagged the anchor and tore off his knee cap and there were some issues with repairing it and now he has a prosthetic leg from the knee down.

EVERYTHING IS DANGEROUS! Live life, let you beloved children live life, protect them as well as we can, share you passions with them and see what activities they enjoy, then share those with them for many happy memories and a life long happy relationship.

russell_bynum

IMO, if the kid gets hurt, the parent has failed.

Only if you define the goal as preventing them from getting hurt.

I haven't.

I think getting hurt can be a valuable learning experience.

You feel really bad when your kid gets hurt, right?

No. If he got seriously hurt, I'd feel really bad. If he skins his knee or bumps his head or anything like that, why would I feel really bad? Getting hurt like that is no big deal...it's not worth feeling bad about. You just stand up, brush yourself off, and get on with life.

All I am saying is parents should play the game with no injury as a top level goal, above winning.

I don't know what "winning" is in this case, but I disagree about no injury as the top level goal. My top-level goal is to raise a smart, functional, independent adult who will contribute to society. If he gets skinned knees or a broken arm along the way, I don't consider that to be a failure or a setback at all.

"No pain no gain" is BS. You can learn without getting hurt. If not, why do we support MSF and other training?

To minimize the chance of people being "seriously hurt or seriously killed." The consequences of a mistake on a motorcycle on the street with cars, trucks, no runoff, etc can be pretty severe.

My father bought me my first mini bike when I was 5 or almost 6, so at this point I have more than 36yrs experience . I raced MX I was injured but never to seriously I almost lost my right foot on a street bike incident that was about the worst . Do I regret any of it? NO ! Do I ever blame my parents for my injuries? No! Would I do it again? Damn right I would. I think the skills I learned at an early age helped me make it this far ,I learned very early to not panic and deal with the situation and always look far ahead . Also drilled into me was to always wear my safety equipment .That alone has save me from serious injury more than once .

I have had my 3yr daughter on my bike for short trips down our country road , and she loves it. I have had her flying with me since 2 . I have never forced her to do either of these things she asked very politely . Do I ever want anything to happen to her ? Never . But I cannot think that being sheltered and hidden from any kind of risk is very healthy either . A 4yr old girl just a few miles from me just passed away from brain cancer. It actually brought me to tears. One of the things that came to mind was everything she will miss out on, although her family did make her very happy the short time she was here.But I bet there will always be , I wish we did ???

The best advice is love your kids and enjoy every moment you can with them.

This is such a hyper conservative group for the most part.

I have been riding with my Dad since i was a baby. He would put me in front of him and putt around the yard. It is some of my very earliest of memories. I got my own bike at 5 yrs old in 1970 and my happiest of all memories are weekends out with my Dad in the desert. We would go on long rides on his street bikes in the 70s all thru the Mulholland hills or up and down the coast.

If you let your kid ride in a car, ride a bicycle, ride a horse,skatebord, rollerskates or roller blades, swim in a pool or the ocean ride in a boat..or leave their PADDED bedroom you are taking a huge risk.

Living life is a risk. Breathing the air in the US is unsafe. Risk and danger is a part is life no matter what.

Teach you children to use reasonable caution, take PREcautions, and be smart....but teach them to live life.

My daughter would sit on my bike and we would putt around camp, she goy her own quad at 6 and a 2 wheel motorcycle at 8. she then moved to a ttr125 at 11 and a yamaha wr 250F at 14. She rides regularly with me on the beemer. We do daddy daughter dates now often on my RT out to dinner and maybe a movie.

I FIRMLY beleieve and am completely confident that our closeness, and btw she is 17 this week, is purely because of the quality time the 2 of us have always spent together. We have gone camping just the 2 of us. We went to the river for 4 days with just us 2. We have gone out shooting since she was about 7 y o and we both cherish our time spent together, much of which has revolved around motorcycles.

I am in NO WAY telling anyone else that they SHOULD ride their kids on their bikes, but anyone who would not do it is missing out, and not exposing their kids to the possibilty of a passion that i thought everyone on this board had. Maybe NOT.

Do your kids eat french fries and potato chips, burgers and pizza, drink soda....all potentially deadly.

Helmet, leather gloves, leather boots, and some decent clothes and be careful, but share and expose them to life, or lock them in a padded room and feed them home grown organic uncooked vegan foods. Make sure you dont live anywhere that has any kind of storms, earthquakes, tornados. Ahouse that is actually a bullet proof bomb shelter, with armed guards.....you get my point i hope.

/quote]

I have taken each of my four kids and nieces for rides, usually short, for as long as I've had the RT. Each responds differently as a pillion, my son disliked it because he wasn't in control, my oldest and youngest daughters I barely know they're behind me. Middle daughter loves to ride but she's a bit twitchy. I love every chance to take them for rides.

Yet I still struggle with the idea of them getting their own and riding! My son did just that last year, got a bike and we have had several great rides together. He had a early wake up call when he first started riding and as a result is cautious... but it was also one of the scariest moments of my life.

Archived