IGNORED

F1 switching to 1.6 liter 4-cylinder engines beginning in 2013

RT66Rider

It looks like the glory days of Formula One are gone. :(

Not to despair! Soon enough the FIA will announce the return to glorious multi-cylinder huge displacement racing!!!!

In the form of professional X-Box, Nintendo and Play Station competition.

Get ready for your nice cozy Matrix pod and plug into excitement...

I remember the 1.5 liter F1 cars of the mid-60s. But number of cylinders wasn't restricted; Honda campaigned a V8, which was a sign of things to come, because it screamed, while the other engines of the day sounded like trucks. But, the part that surprised me is "1.6 litre with high pressure gasoline injection up to 500 bar with a maximum of 12,000 rpm." Without forced induction, and with a 12,000 rpm rev limit, I don't see how they're going to get much more than 200 bhp out of a 1.6 liter engine.

While most of us would agree that a bigger displacement, multi-cylinder engine doesn't always mean faster vehicles, I WILL miss the scream of a V8 in Formula 1.

Kinda like I miss the old V8 Can-Am series.

Do I think it will last?

Me hopes not.

MB>

Joe Frickin' Friday
While most of us would agree that a bigger displacement, multi-cylinder engine doesn't always mean faster vehicles, I WILL miss the scream of a V8 in Formula 1.

V8?!? :eek: Surely you jest.

Perhaps you meant to say

V8?!? :eek: Surely you jest.

Perhaps you meant to say

What a beautiful sound thanks Mitch!

V8?!? eek Surely you jest.

Perhaps you meant to say "V10."

Sorry Spaghetti Monster, forgot you are too young to remember V8's in F1.... :wave:

MB>

You can obtain some seriously scary horsepower from a turbocharged 4 cylinder :eek:!

With this change, the "man in the street" will definitely feel more affinity with the sport :thumbsup:. Imagine all the aftermarket kits being available for the Hyundai Sonata GDI Turbo et al ;).

Rice rockets here we come.....

ShovelStrokeEd

Hell, turbo 'Busa regularly well over 400 HP.

Didn't the 1.2 liter BMW F1 motor make something like 1200 HP on the rocket fuel they used to run?

Just a note, in 2010 the rules are that ALL cars be 90deg. v8 motors, 2.4L 4 valve {2 in,2ex}, naturally aspirated, limited to 18,000 rpm and weigh at least 95kilos.

So we don't need to back to the 60's for V8 motors. Just the last few years.

The FIA published this statement today in Monaco.

I don't see any rules on the configuration of the motor. It doesn't say if it has to be inline, or if it CAN be v4, opposed 4 or an inline 4 layed flat on its side. whole different set of aerodynamic opportunities for the chassis....

Remeber the saying: There is NO replacement for DISplacement. Half the motor does not neccesarily mean half the HP but it does mean LESS. But it also means less weight, so P2W ratio may still be decent. Im sure they willl really work on their KERS units to maximize that free HP.

Didn't the 1.2 liter BMW F1 motor make something like 1200 HP on the rocket fuel they used to run?

Believe it was 1.5L. and yeah, way over 1000 in qualifying trim.

ShovelStrokeEd

Believe it was 1.5L. and yeah, way over 1000 in qualifying trim.

You're right, 1.5L and it was more like 1100 HP. Still, at nearly 12 HP/in^3 it was impressive power.

I'm curious about that high pressure direct injection. Can it really add that much power? I can see an increase in efficiency but you still gotta get air into the thing to make power.

I'm curious about that high pressure direct injection. Can it really add that much power? I can see an increase in efficiency but you still gotta get air into the thing to make power.

True. I don't see them reducing performance levels by much if any. The word turbo wasn't mentioned in the press release, but this IS the FIA. :)

Wow, a cave in to ecomentalist sentiments "Look at how planet friendly we are!!!" while naturally of course being nothing of the sort.

Very bemused by the constant fiddling of regs by Bernie's boys with stupidity like madatory stops and yet they still fail to make the damned series nothing but a series of processions.

To my mind, they ought to take the composite brakes off the bloody things, bring back braking distances and thus some passing.

There was a time that I would never miss an F1 race, now I'm lucky if I manage to watch a whole race per season. Horribly dull.

ShovelStrokeEd
There was a time that I would never miss an F1 race, now I'm lucky if I manage to watch a whole race per season. Horribly dull.

Bound to improve with smaller motors.

Archived