IGNORED

2004 dual spark RT Tick

cali_beemer

Well, after picking up my 2004 RT it sounded like the valves on the right side were making noise. So, last night I finally got around to adjusting the valves and synching the throttle bodies. The bike is smoother now but I still noticed a noise. With the bike on the lift, it sounded more like a tick, not a valve noise. I also noticed its coming from the injector area, not the valves. Its only on the right side, not the left. I then started to remember that my 2004 GS did the exact same thing. Is this some sort of characteristic of the dual spark oilheads? I am not sure if its the noise I heard before, its possible my valve adjustment got rid of the noise I heard before and I am just now hearing the tick. I suppose on the RT, the tick may not be as noticeable, or may even sound different once I put the tupperware back on.

Fuel injectors can make a ticking noise. If you swap them from side to side (Easy to do) you can tell if the noise follows the injector.

The injectors can be serviced by a shop that does diesel injectors. They will be able to tell you how well matched the injectors are, and that may take care of the noise. Not very expensive.......Probably $20 each.

If it is not an injector, and might be coming from inside the valve cover, use search to learn more about "Rocker arm end play". Good luck.

This is almost certainly the RH throttle plate tapping away with each intake pulse. To check, put your finger on the cable pulley - if that stops the tick you have found the cause. The LH side does not tick because the TPS stabilises the butterfly shaft. The fix is either re-build the throttle body (kits available from Bing, plus a new bush from McMaster carr or similar) or ignore it.

Motorworks in the UK sell a replacement end-cap for the shaft that has an adjustable bearing to kill the tick. Unfortunately however, they will not ship to the USA or Canada due to the cost of liability insurance.

The replacement shaft/bush is a better fix anyway.

Andy

This is almost certainly the RH throttle plate tapping away with each intake pulse. To check, put your finger on the cable pulley - if that stops the tick you have found the cause. The LH side does not tick because the TPS stabilises the butterfly shaft. The fix is either re-build the throttle body (kits available from Bing, plus a new bush from McMaster carr or similar) or ignore it.

Motorworks in the UK sell a replacement end-cap for the shaft that has an adjustable bearing to kill the tick. Unfortunately however, they will not ship to the USA or Canada due to the cost of liability insurance.

The replacement shaft/bush is a better fix anyway.

Andy

So, I take it this is normal? If its not hurting anything then I am fine with it and I will leave it. I just wanted to make sure its normal. I figured it must be normal/common since I have a recollection of my 04 GS doing it.

Well, its definately the butterfly of the right throttle body. I started up the bike, and the noise is there still, of course. I put pressure on the side of the pully wheel and the noise goes away completely. So, is this re-build neccesary? Obviously, i would need to do that in order to get the rid of the noise, but is this a neccesary procedure to prevent a malfunction later? Am I asking for trouble if I dont do it? So far, I only have a few miles on it and I just want to ride. Its been up on the lift getting a bunch of service and new tires. I really have no ambition to be rebuilding the throttle body right this minute.

Perhaps you don't have quite enough slack in the TB cables. Try loosening the left cable just a little and then sync the right cable to match. This might allow the right pulley to fully seat against the stop.

Regards,

Perhaps you don't have quite enough slack in the TB cables. Try loosening the left cable just a little and then sync the right cable to match. This might allow the right pulley to fully seat against the stop.

Regards,

I dont see that doing anything. In order for the sound to go away, I have to press against the side of the pulley. changing the tension of the cable wouldnt affect that at all.

As the bike gets older the wear increases to the point that synchronising the throttles gets difficult due to the air-leak. It is at that point I intend to re-build mine. For now, I shall live with the tick. (earplugs help)

Andy

I did this a few years ago on my 1150R. Rebuilding the right throttle body shaft is pretty easy; I think it took me about three hours from start to finish (I wasn't trying to beat flat-rate :) ).

Not a bad DIY job.

Tony

I saw the write up in the adv rider forum site done by dan cata, and I saw that he sells the kit. As I stated before, its not that I cant/dont want to do it, but the fact I just want to ride the bike. The bike has been on the lift for a week now since I havent had alot of time to do the work on it. I have only put about 50 miles on it and I have the itch to rack up some miles. I was bikeless for a month beofre i bought this and its driving me up a wall that I am not out riding right now.

Mine ticks away. 123,000 miles and still going.

I ignore it. Its under all the tupperware anyhow. It does not seem to affect anything so I leave it alone.

David

Curious as to how many miles are on the bike.

My cousins '04RT has well over 100K miles on it and it's as quiet as a mouse.....

Thats where I am amazed at this. The bike has 14k miles on it. I remember my 04 GS doing the exact same and I just figured it was related to the dual spark engine, since none of my other boxxers had done it. My GS had 16k miles on it. I cant believe these throttle bodies need to be rebuilt after 14k miles. I went and checked again and its very obvious that if I apply pressure to the side of the throttle body pulley, the noise goes away completely.

I would check to make sure you have some slack in your throttle cables.

The "tick" you are hearing could still be the throttle bouncing on and off the stop.

DAMHIKT :lurk:;)

I would check to make sure you have some slack in your throttle cables.

The "tick" you are hearing could still be the throttle bouncing on and off the stop.

DAMHIKT :lurk:;)

I did check that and they do have slack. Everything is in adjustment and is workign great. The bike runs excellent, but ther is that annoying tick like the valves are out of adjstment or something. However, I went and re-adjested the valves and it was still there. Thats when I noticed the tick was coming from the throttle body area.

Well, then I guess the next question is: does the bike really have only 14k miles on it?

Thats what the odomoter says, and my GS had 16k on it and made the exact same tick. I have all the service paperwork tracking the mileage and timeframe. The bike is in showroom condition so I have no reason to doubt the mileage.

Archived