IGNORED

Man I can

Ken H.

A new VCR. Our 15+ year old one died last night and we’ve got about a bizzion movies and TV shows on tape.

This is going to be so embarrassing... I can hear the 20-something clerks at Best Buy now, “Get this - the Old Guy wants to buy a VCR!” :rofl:

What's broken on it? It's fairly easy to buy a belt replacement kit and install it, if that's the problem. (At least about 5 yrs. ago it was easy).

I typed "VCR" on ebay and it shows 20,232 items for sale.

From $20.00 to $500.00.

What program can you use to transfer from VCR to DVD.

That is your next project, soldier.

Survived-til-now

If you look in the stores you'll see that turntables are making a comeback as people realise the quality limitations of CD's......

We keep a VCR and its fun to buy unwanted tapes at nothing prices.

Furthmore, its almost certainly going to be more robust than the digital c**p that dies at the first brown-out power cut. I have just suffered a couple of those and first the LCD digital television went down, followed by the CD player and a DVD player. The old CRT TV and the donkeys year old VCR just seem to ignore these sorts of problem.

Hang on in there, buy your VCR with pride :grin:

Ugh! Talk about a project. I spent a month one week transferring home video. You'd be better off getting a part time job with the time you'd spend doing it, then use the money you earned to buy the commercial DVD replacements. Do convert the irreplaceable stuff or take it somewhere to have it done professionally. It can be a bit pricey but tape has a limited life and eventually it will not play for you.

Have you priced a VCR lately? they are more $$ than a DVD player now if you can find one.

Ugh! Talk about a project. I spent a month one week transferring home video. You'd be better off getting a part time job with the time you'd spend doing it, then use the money you earned to buy the commercial DVD replacements. Do convert the irreplaceable stuff or take it somewhere to have it done professionally. It can be a bit pricey but tape has a limited life and eventually it will not play for you.

Have you priced a VCR lately? they are more $$ than a DVD player now if you can find one.

I bought a combo DVD/VCR recorder a couple years ago. Every now and then I'll slip a tape in and transfer it to DVD. Don't have to monitor it. I'm just doing home movies, but it's still a long-term project. Of course, DVD will be defunct by the end of next year.

Three weeks too late! Just tossed out a perfectly good one. (woodgrain finish & all :grin:) Probably would have been more to ship than the cost of a new one.

Pat

Ours died earlier this year too. I paid $4.95 for a good used on at Goodwill.

Yeah, after I thought about it some more, that's kind of where my head is too. Time to hit the 2nd hand stores and pawn shops!

What's broken on it?
Blows the fuse on the main PC board instantly, so definitely some sort of on board power supply problem. Suppose given the time (that I don’t really have) I could troubleshoot it some more. Likely just a bridge rectifier or something similar. But the picture quality had been slowly sliding for awhile anyway. The thing's been recording and playing back two soap operas a day for 10 years. Plus 100s of hours of other stuff. So I guess I really can't complain.
A new VCR. Our 15+ year old one died last night and we’ve got about a bizzion movies and TV shows on tape.

This is going to be so embarrassing... I can hear the 20-something clerks at Best Buy now, “Get this - the Old Guy wants to buy a VCR!” :rofl:

How sad. I just donated a really, really nice Sony VCR that I bought sometime back in '93 or '94. I think it cost almost $400 back in the day. And to think that you could have had it for free other than the for the cost of shipping.

Come on, people! We have a member in need! Anyone out there have a VCR they aren't using? :P

Our first VCR cost nearly $900.

SOTA, special features with frame/freeze quality that was better than newer ones for nearly 20 years.

+1 on DVD/VCR combo and transfer.

Saw them ar Best Buy this week.

Ken, how about upgrading Sony Betamax next time?

Could be some sales on a Laserdisc in my area.

Give me a call on my mobile phone if i can help out.

cellphone.jpg

Dennis Andress

That's funny. I spotted a bunch of VCRs at WalMart last night and was wondering who would buy something like that...

More likely a leaky electrolytic capacitor. Normally easy to spot and easy to replace. Collateral damage could be an issue, though...
Didn't see any exploded, swollen, or leaking one anywhere in the power supply area anywhere though...
Ken, how about upgrading Sony Betamax next time?

Hee-hee.

Sidejack – I worked for Sony as a technician when the very first BetaMax came out. I bet I repaired 5000 of the damn things (BetaMax & VHS VCRs) over those years. I can still remember aligning the spinning heads with a dial indicator.

Man that was a long time ago!

russell_bynum

Oh sure...just throw away the old one and buy a new one. The landfills won't mind.

And it's good because this way some six-year-old girl in China will get to work 14 hours a day instead of just 12 to assemble it for you.

All so you can sit at home wasting energy watching TV.

Nice going, man.

:Wink:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Russell, you are cruel! ;)

Yeah, that was a good one, Russell. Now, get out there and nuke some lawn grubs.

He can't, I haven't hired him; I hired an illegal immigrant instead. :grin:

russell_bynum
Russell, you are cruel! ;)

Yeah, that was a good one, Russell. Now, get out there and nuke some lawn grubs.

He can't, I haven't hired him; I hired an illegal immigrant instead. :grin:

:grin:

Oh sure...just throw away the old one and buy a new one. The landfills won't mind.

And it's good because this way some six-year-old girl in China will get to work 14 hours a day instead of just 12 to assemble it for you.

Nice going, man.

Oh not to worry Russell, the irony of my own cross-thread dichotomy has not escaped me.

Jerry Johnston
I bought a combo DVD/VCR recorder a couple years ago. Every now and then I'll slip a tape in and transfer it to DVD. Don't have to monitor it. I'm just doing home movies, but it's still a long-term project. Of course, DVD will be defunct by the end of next year.

Sorry Mark, DVD is obsolete already. Better buy a Blu Ray.

russell_bynum

Nice going, man.

Oh not to worry Russell, the irony of my own cross-thread dichotomy has not escaped me.

All that "disposable, stuff-based economy and the me-first society" shizzle you're always talking about...and here you are buying a new VCR so you can sit and watch TV instead of being out there contributing to the greater good that you keep talking so much about. It just don't seem right.

:smirk:

So do I get any redemption brownie points that last night I bought a used one at a thrift shop for $19 therefore returning a landfill destined item to useful extended life?

Or that ours that died, rather than being tossed to the curb; will sit in the garage until my next trip (when it's warmer damnit!) to the recycle depot?

Besides, there’d be little ‘greater good’ in my house if Donna couldn’t continue to record her soaps! Sometimes you just got’a weigh your options...

If you look in the stores you'll see that turntables are making a comeback as people realise the quality limitations of CD's......

We keep a VCR and its fun to buy unwanted tapes at nothing prices.

Furthmore, its almost certainly going to be more robust than the digital c**p that dies at the first brown-out power cut. I have just suffered a couple of those and first the LCD digital television went down, followed by the CD player and a DVD player. The old CRT TV and the donkeys year old VCR just seem to ignore these sorts of problem.

Hang on in there, buy your VCR with pride :grin:

I have an extensive, well cared for, collection of records but hiss and pop is still present on all of them. I still listen to them but buy CD's. Same with tapes. So much is changing so fast. Try to find a needle or cartridge anymore.

So do I get any redemption brownie points that last night I bought a used one at a thrift shop for $19 therefore returning a landfill destined item to useful extended life?

Or that ours that died, rather than being tossed to the curb; will sit in the garage until my next trip (when it's warmer damnit!) to the recycle depot?

Besides, there’d be little ‘greater good’ in my house if Donna couldn’t continue to record her soaps! Sometimes you just got’a weigh your options...

Not only would using the thrift store unit waste valuable natural resources for mere entertainment, but supporting of soaps also encourages pollution of our waterways!!!! :P

russell_bynum

Yeah, nice going. Instead of buying a new energy-efficient model, you bought some energy-hogging old piece of crap.

:Wink:

:thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Not only would using the thrift store unit waste valuable natural resources for mere entertainment, but supporting of soaps also encourages pollution of our waterways!!!! :P

He's talking about soap operas, so the proper area of concern would be pollution of the airwaves. :dopeslap:

Archived