IGNORED

St John's River, FL?

Twisties

There have been some posts about touring the St. John's by boat for history and wildlife. Looks like I'll be visiting family in JAX the 16th-21st. Chance of Sharon coming in for a day or so as well. Would like to try out this river tour thing. It's been really, really hard to get my family to do anything interesting when we visit, but they have expressed some interest in this.

I see a wide variety of tour offerings and wide variety of prices etc on the web, mostly down in the Orlando area.

Again, interests would be wildlife photos and history.

Any recommendations?

There are board members who cruise that waterway frequently.

Since I don't know their schedules let's see if they chime in...

The St. Johns is one of only two rivers that flow north to south. Starting at Mayport, it flows south past the Orlando area, feeding a number of tributaries along the way.

As for sightseeing...that depends on what you want to see. Give us Floridians an idea of what interests you, i.e., flora, gators, sandy two track, & we'll do our best to accommodate. We could even be be coerced (paid) into loaning a bike or two.

I have traveled the St. Johns since 1988 in the Astor area . I can give you a tour weather permitting. There are a number of springs near that area. Silver Glen , DeLeon, and Salt Springs are all worth seeing. I know the back alley's and if the air is warmer than the water I know where the gators like to sun themselves. I love the St.Johns as it's the most relaxing thing I do especially when it's warm enough to ski.

The St. Johns is one of only two rivers that flow north to south.

Danny, it flows from Orlando north through Mayport.

Ok, now I needed that to start my day off right! :clap::thumbsup:

Jan, drop a PM and I'll give you my number if you want a bike, etc. or maybe a luncheon with the locals. Otherwise, check these guys out http://www.houseboating.org/STJOHN/overview.cfm

That would be nice Matt, thanks. But I don't think we are going to ride this trip. Too much trouble and expense to haul our gear on an airplane for a short visit. Sharon just booked for the 16th - 19th, so she'll only be there 2 and half days on the ground. I'm on the ground 4 days. Most of this will be hanging with the family. A ride or luncheon sometime would be great when we have a longer window.

This trip was originally planned for Thanksgiving with a 9 day JAX visit, but a death in the family on the other side of the country got in the way, so now we're on a shorter reschedule. We had originally planned to have time for some sort of BMWST get together this time, but that seems jinxed for the moment... was also supposed to happen at last year's Thanksgiving, but then I broke my leg and couldn't travel. This trip now is actually a reschedule of a reschedule!

I did check out the link though. Thanks!

I have traveled the St. Johns since 1988 in the Astor area . I can give you a tour weather permitting. There are a number of springs near that area. Silver Glen , DeLeon, and Salt Springs are all worth seeing. I know the back alley's and if the air is warmer than the water I know where the gators like to sun themselves. I love the St.Johns as it's the most relaxing thing I do especially when it's warm enough to ski.

BMWST! Gotta love it! People you've never met offer up stuff like this. I think it was your post from a year or two ago that sparked this idea.

I'll shoot you a pm.

It'll be N to S after the poles shift in 2012.

Jan,

Florida doesn't require helmets, or gear.

Bring your flip flops and ride.

Feel the wind through your hair and toes.

It'll be N to S after the poles shift in 2012.

Jan,

Florida doesn't require helmets, or gear.

Bring your flip flops and ride.

Feel the wind through your hair and toes.

Neither does Utah, but I cringe when I see it. Not for me, thanks!

We'll be riding x-mas to new year's in the southwest.

I envy you the trip. Stories of my childhood about fishing the St. John. You never know what you are going to catch but the possibilities are "big and many". Try a day that is slightly cooler though. Don't forget bug juice. Keep your hands out of the water and don't leave fish on a stringer! Some days are magical and some are hell.

Archived