IGNORED

type of battery in 2010 RT?

steve_w

this may sound like a dumb question, but my local dealership has given me 2 different answers.

What type of battery does my 2010 R1200RT have AGM or gel?

I'm in need of a new battery tender and what to buy the correct type. I already have a 12v outlet directly connected to the battery for the charger( with a 15 amp fuse in line ).

Thanks for the help.

Steve W

Steve,

Just went through that - ordered a Tender Plus and when it arrived it had a sticker on it stating it was programmed for a Gel battery.

Contacted the Tender people and was advised that the Gel Tender would work just fine on ANY of the different type of batteries. Just a little slower.

Have an AGM on my 08 RT

FWIW, I use an Extreme charger for a stock gel batt that will do any type of batt. Flly electronic with good readots on what its doing.

I connect mine through a 3rd outlet I added that is "direct to batt" trough a fuse panel. Its installed at the rear, directly opposite the optional rear outlet of my RT that is connected to the ZFE and therefore usable only by the BMW charger designed to trick the ZFE into keeping that circuit live. No reason to buy a special purpose $160 BMW charger when a more general purpose one works fine.

A $37 YUASA 900 mA one sold and recommended by my dealer would also work fine but its bare bones- only rudimentary display and less flexible than the Extreme.

Steve,

That was my thought when I found out it would be ok from the Tender people - then I thought if I ever do get a GEL cell - I'll be ahead of the game.

So far the living has been great. The little green lite takes awhile to come on - but has been rock solid ever since......

• 2 weeks later...

Charger Related add-on question:

I just upgraded from an '04 R50R to an '06 R12RT with a stock battery. I still have the BMW charger I bought about 4 years ago from the dealer, which I know works with gel batteries (it's a rebranded Battery Tender).

Seems like the charger won't recognize the bike's battery when plugged in to the socket.

Manual says you can't put a charger directly to the battery terminals while the battery remains connected. To do otherwise may damage bike electronics. And yet a jump start is supposed to be done with the battery connected? So, is it true? Direct to terminals only if disconnected?

Or can I put an SAE pigtail on the terminals with a 15A inline fuse for easy direct charger connecting? Or could I even put my accessory fuse block back in directly to the terminals and charge through that? Those are two options I used on my '04R.

Just don't want to fry the electronics on my new baby.

...Manual says you can't put a charger directly to the battery terminals while the battery remains connected. To do otherwise may damage bike electronics. And yet a jump start is supposed to be done with the battery connected? So, is it true? Direct to terminals only if disconnected?

Or can I put an SAE pigtail on the terminals with a 15A inline fuse for easy direct charger connecting? Or could I even put my accessory fuse block back in directly to the terminals and charge through that? Those are two options I used on my '04R.

Just don't want to fry the electronics on my new baby.

I've used an SAE pigtail directly to the battery for the charger on my '06 RT from day one. I've never had a problem (and this was done by the selling dealer, by the way). Many others do the same thing. Not sure why the manula has that warning.

Try search- its a good thing. This topic is antique and seems to get raised every other day this time of year.

Only folks with cash to burn buy the BMW charger that tricks the ZFE. Its overpriced by about 2 1/2 X and it is defective in that it does not resume recharging if there is a power failure so you might walk out and find a dead batt in the spring. Instead of justifying its high price it instead presents a significant defect that suggests it worth LESS than anything else you might pick.

Pigtail charging, etc works fine and you don't need to disconnect anything- its what the majority do.

Archived