IGNORED

Who's Dumped Their Laptop for an iPad?

Mike

I have to admit that I find this a little surprising, but over the past couple of months I've talked to a number of people who have abandoned their laptops and now travel exclusively with their iPad, using it for business. I've played with iPads in the Apple Store, and I've considered buying one, but the lack of a tactile keyboard, USB ports, and a camera have thus far convinced me that a laptop is still the better choice for me.

Frankly, I'm surprised that people in the business community have found the iPad to be a better tool than their laptops. Is anyone here using an iPad in this way?

My wife bought an iPad in August and I use it quite a bit. She plans to buy me a second-generation iPad (as a birthday gift) when it's released in 2011. We also each have a netbook. We generally use the iPad for surfing the net, checking e-mail and reading newspapers, books and magazines. Neither of us could see using it for producing written text for the reasons you mention about the keyboard. Though you can buy a keyboard to go with it, that seems to defeat the purpose. You cannot load software onto it, just download apps from the App store, so for example, I could not use the iPad to create routes for my Garmin GPS during a motorcycle trip because it cannot run Mapsource. That's why I carry a netbook on the bike. At this point, I can't see an iPad replacing a laptop/netbook for "real" work. The next-generation iPad will likely have a camera, a USB connector, a better display and be somewhat lighter (if you believe the rumours). I'd say an iPad complements, but does not (yet) replace a netbook/laptop/desktop computer, and it may never.

russell_bynum
I have to admit that I find this a little surprising, but over the past couple of months I've talked to a number of people who have abandoned their laptops and now travel exclusively with their iPad, using it for business. I've played with iPads in the Apple Store, and I've considered buying one, but the lack of a tactile keyboard, USB ports, and a camera have thus far convinced me that a laptop is still the better choice for me.

Frankly, I'm surprised that people in the business community have found the iPad to be a better tool than their laptops. Is anyone here using an iPad in this way?

It depends on how you use the laptop.

If you just web surf and use email, then an iPad will do just fine.

As you expand beyond that, the story starts to change. Of course...if the stuff that you do can be done with iPad apps, then that could keep the iPad on top a bit longer.

I've used the bluetooth keyboards, but honestly if I've got to carry around an ipad and a bunch of paraphernalia, I could just carry my laptop and be done with it.

The other thing I'll say about the iPad touch screen keyboard...the keyboard is my least favorite feature of my iPhone and the most common source of my bitching and moaning about the device. With the iPad, I have very few complaints with the keyboard and I've found that I'm probably 80% as fast typing with it as I am with a real keyboard. The only thing is I do have to look at the iPad keyboard to make sure my hands are in the right place. With a real keyboard, I touch type and never have to look at the keyboard.

Overall, I did not expect to like the iPad very much. I figured it was just a big iPhone and I have a love-hate with my iPhone. I bought one for work since my team has to support them. My plan was to use it for a week or two and then give it to my team to use. After a week, I bought another one for the team and kept the original one for myself. :) I still have my laptop and use it when I need to do any real work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. And yes...I've used apps like Docs to Go. They're better than nothing, but are pretty feature-bare compared to the real Office apps) but the iPad gets used far more frequently.

DaveTheAffable

The other category is "True" Tablet PC. In my previous job we had 10 Motion Computing LE1600's that we used indoors, outdoors, with keyboards, without, voice recognition, handwriting recognition... they ROCK... if you use them. SO cool to sit with the thing on your lap and look at ANY size excel sheet, edit 20mb photos, edit video.

Now, Motion Computing sells the J3500. A true "slate". Quad core, i7, 4gb, rugged, viewable in outdoor light, wireless, broadband, built in camera. Put's an iPad to shame. About $2500+. They are true computers. Used more and more by contractors, public safety, service workers, doctors.

Another outstanding model is the Lenovo X201T. About $1800, but has a built in keyboard.

Yup, they are a little niche, but once you've tried one seriously it's unlikely you will never go back to a laptop or an iPad.

Talk to John Hill at Allegiance Technologies. Knowledgable, nice guy. They have a demo program.

Yup, they are a little niche, but once you've tried one seriously it's unlikely you will never go back to a laptop or an iPad.

Making such a statement suggests you don't get what makes the iPad popular. Capabilities aren't what makes the iPad (or the iPhone or the various well done similar devices) popular. If people wanted an inconsistent, desktop UI that tries to cope with stylus (and, to a degree, touch) capabilities, all while draining batteries, they would have been buying these things up for years.

They don't.

ShovelStrokeEd

I use my iPad mostly as a book reader, Kindle App. It goes in the same backpack as my little Toshiba netbook, which I use for most serious work. I have a couple of dongles for it that allow me to dump photos via memory card to the photo app and share certain files via USB.

I really wanted to use the thing for business but it hasn't worked out for me. I do use it to take notes for later transcription to Word and the calc app I have is nice. Calender is good, would be better if I could share the thing with my 'Droid phone. As it is, I have to duplicate entries and keeping them synched is a PITA.

One day, I'll find the perfect gadget. It ain't there yet.

The other category is "True" Tablet PC. In my previous job we had 10 Motion Computing LE1600's that we used indoors, outdoors, with keyboards, without, voice recognition, handwriting recognition... they ROCK... if you use them. SO cool to sit with the thing on your lap and look at ANY size excel sheet, edit 20mb photos, edit video.

Now, Motion Computing sells the J3500. A true "slate". Quad core, i7, 4gb, rugged, viewable in outdoor light, wireless, broadband, built in camera. Put's an iPad to shame. About $2500+. They are true computers. Used more and more by contractors, public safety, service workers, doctors.

Another outstanding model is the Lenovo X201T. About $1800, but has a built in keyboard.

Talk to John Hill at Allegiance Technologies. Knowledgable, nice guy. They have a demo program.

Looks like cool stuff. But, it's way beyond my needs. In my professional world, I can't work on anything other than a computer owned by my employer. Still, it would be nice if they'd buy equipment like this.

Today's Financial Times had an article, " Tablets: Companies prove as keen as consumers on ‘magical’ devices." SAP is issuing thousands of them to employees, as are several other companies. Apparently, the iPad is becoming quite the tool for briefing books and presentations. And, have you noticed the number of roving reporters on TV conspicuously toting iPads?

I won't consider an iPad until it gets a camera, and even then, I would probably be more interested in the new 13" Macbook Air, which doesn't weigh much more, but does a lot more than an iPad, and has a built-in SD card reader slot, unlike the 11" Air. Supposedly Mac OS and iOS are going to converge to some degree, but I'm leery of Apple's "walled garden" approach to apps and content.

But, cheap as I am, most of what I need to do can be done on a $200-300 netbook running Linux, and I don't have to pay anything for applications, so I'm not highly motivated to switch.

Calender is good, would be better if I could share the thing with my 'Droid phone. As it is, I have to duplicate entries and keeping them synched is a PITA.

I just inherited my daughter's old iPhone 2 (which I'm using as an iPod Touch, without phone service, just WiFi), and was surprised that the calendar app picks up everything from my Google calendar. As an experiment, I just created an event in the iPod calendar app, then checked Google calendar, and there it was! This happens because I set up the iPod's mail client to access Gmail. Surely there is a Droid mail client for Gmail, is there not?

DaveTheAffable

Making such a statement suggests you don't get what makes the iPad popular. Capabilities aren't what makes the iPad (or the iPhone or the various well done similar devices) popular. If people wanted an inconsistent, desktop UI that tries to cope with stylus (and, to a degree, touch) capabilities, all while draining batteries, they would have been buying these things up for years.

They don't.

Well said Greg. For peoople that are power users, iPads don't have enough power/os. As for The desktop U/I issues, it's different, but not defective. Battery use? Comparable cpu's, battery size, screen size, hard drive access, there is NO difference between a slate tablet pc, and a laptop. For those users that liked the form factor, a spare battery was not a big issue. We had no U/I issues. Worked great with XP. and even better with W7. YMMV.

iPad - It too has it's niche in the masses. It's a GREAT product. I've wanted one for Mrs. Affable because the U/I is more intuitive.

So my comments that it was niche meant... if you're in that niche, you'll like it. Many won't, and don't. After years of personal use for me and my team, we loved them... but we were part of that niche that needed powerful cpu, inking capabilities, audio recording, video recording, AND had a keyboard attachable if you really needed it.

I still use my Laptop for my business stuff (consulting) - but around home for email, surfing the net, reading on-line news and mags, some book reading, etc. the iPad is the ticket.

It not only does all those things very well, has long battery life, etc. it has INSTANT ON AND OFF. That feature makes it very handy for "just checking" - like wiki for some piece of random info, "whatever happened to so-and-so" in some movie I'm watching...

It is way cool to just touch the button and it is "on"....

I never power it down, just charge it up every several days.

Oh, and I'm a big "late night radio person" so using it as an Internet radio is way cool too. There's an app that has a sleep timer and lots of net-cast radio stations from around the nation. For low volume listening the little speakers in the side work fine.

Oh, and having a few of my favorite movies loaded on it is nice too, when traveling....

And, oh, having my favorite audio books is nice....

Oh, and for sharing photos....

Oh, and for having my PowerPoints as PDF files right in front of me so that I don't have to look over my shoulder at the screen my audience is looking at....

Oh, and for checking the weather.... w/ moving sat images...

Oh, and the hybrid map w/ random search function is nice....

And the GPS app is nice....

The problem w/ the iPad is that it is a "whole new thing" kind of thing. I do stuff everyday with it that I never even thought about when I bought the darn thing, but that I'd miss if I didn't have it.

I forgot to mention that it is fully compatible wiht Apple's bluetooth keyboard - so for serious text input into word processor apps, etc., and for email, or posting here, it works GREAT w/ the "real" keybord.

The problem w/ the iPad is that it is a "whole new thing" kind of thing. I do stuff everyday with it that I never even thought about when I bought the darn thing, but that I'd miss if I didn't have it.

I forgot to mention that it is fully compatible wiht Apple's bluetooth keyboard - so for serious text input into word processor apps, etc., and for email, or posting here, it works GREAT w/ the "real" keybord.

That's kind of may take on it too. It doesn't replace serious computing from a laptop but it does bring many of the functions to an easier to use format. Think portability and loooooooooong battery life.

I have mine synced with my network at home so I can stream movies and TV shows via Air Video that I have ripped directly to it without having to store them locally. Of course, on a plane you will need to have it saved onto the devices - at least until they all start running wifi on the planes. I can also log into my home computer from anywhere via another app that let's me run the entire system remotely. I can even turn on my web cam and see what's going on in the house when I'm away. I also found that the on-board keyboard is much better than I expected it to be.

Not a replacement for the laptop but more of a supplement. Kind of like a motorcycle is to a car.

I love my motorcycle and my iPad but they won't replace the car or the laptop.

I want an iPad, but I have yet to buy one. Having said that, the new Mac Book Air blows me away! What a computer! I love the convieniences of the iPad and the instant on nature of the device, but that MacBook Air might be just the ticket.

iPad - It too has its niche in the masses. It's a GREAT product. I've wanted one for Mrs. Affable because the U/I is more intuitive.

I think I would re-phrase this as it has its niche for people who don't want to deal with computers. For anybody who has had any but the most trivial interactions with computers over the past 25 years, it's very easy to forget how much learned behavior is involved to use even the most basic microcomputer -- even more so, if you want to keep it running. Despite the millions of computers sold every year, there are millions of people out there who either have no direct experience with using a computer (unless it's embedded in something else, and restricted to a few basic functions, like an ATM), or who have used a computer at some point, and threw up their hands because it was all too complicated or, more likely it was a Windows machine that got infected with malware, and they lacked the knowledgebase to fix it).

The iP*ds are introducing a new paradigm, where you don't need much prior knowledge to figure out how the thing works. (Although, I confess to total frustration the first time I played with an iPad, because for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get out of iTunes and back to the home menu.) Even though she has a MS in biology/mathematics, I would never consider getting my mother a computer (even though it would greatly help her business), but I can sort of imagine her using an iPad without throwing the thing out a window in a fit of frustration. There are millions out there like her.

I want an iPad, but I have yet to buy one. Having said that, the new Mac Book Air blows me away! What a computer! I love the convieniences of the iPad and the instant on nature of the device, but that MacBook Air might be just the ticket.

I've had the same lustful thoughts. The new Airs are really cool. But, being a neanderthal, I am beginning to wonder how much of a "computer" computer I need. The iPad's parallel capabilities to the iPhone are what intrigue me. I just got back from a short trip to foreign lands, and it struck me how much I've come to depend on the little guy. Here are a few things I did with my iPhone:

-Monitored the status of all our our flights, including gates, checking out seating configurations, etc.

-Watched a movie while on a flight.

-Listened to a whole bunch of music.

-Stored and referred to our itinerary in .pdf form.

-Took a bunch of halfway decent photos.

-Edited those halfway decent photos with PhotoShop Express.

-Took a small number of mediocre HD videos.

-Used an app for instant currency conversion

-Ordered some Christmas presents.

-Read a handful of news sources each morning.

-Checked the weather, noting gleefully that we had avoided Chicago's first snowfall.

-Used it as a nifty alarm clock that displays local weather and turns the phone into a flashlight with a shake.

-Referred to the CIA World Fact Book for information on the country I was in.

-Got the lay of the land using Google Earth.

-Did a little web surfing.

-Sent and received a bunch of text messages.

-Kept on top of my email and sent family and friends some photos via email.

-Used the camera as a scanner, capturing a business report that my wife had prepared and mailing it as a .pdf.

-Called back to the U.S. at virtually no cost using Skype VOIP.

It's amazing how useful and versatile a device it is. Sometimes, though, it would be nice to have a little more acreage (a bigger screen).

russell_bynum

I've had the same lustful thoughts. The new Airs are really cool. But, being a neanderthal, I am beginning to wonder how much of a "computer" computer I need. The iPad's parallel capabilities to the iPhone are what intrigue me. I just got back from a short trip to foreign lands, and it struck me how much I've come to depend on the little guy. Here are a few things I did with my iPhone:

-Monitored the status of all our our flights, including gates, checking out seating configurations, etc.

-Watched a movie while on a flight.

-Listened to a whole bunch of music.

-Stored and referred to our itinerary in .pdf form.

-Took a bunch of halfway decent photos.

-Edited those halfway decent photos with PhotoShop Express.

-Took a small number of mediocre HD videos.

-Used an app for instant currency conversion

-Ordered some Christmas presents.

-Read a handful of news sources each morning.

-Checked the weather, noting gleefully that we had avoided Chicago's first snowfall.

-Used it as a nifty alarm clock that displays local weather and turns the phone into a flashlight with a shake.

-Referred to the CIA World Fact Book for information on the country I was in.

-Got the lay of the land using Google Earth.

-Did a little web surfing.

-Sent and received a bunch of text messages.

-Kept on top of my email and sent family and friends some photos via email.

-Used the camera as a scanner, capturing a business report that my wife had prepared and mailing it as a .pdf.

-Called back to the U.S. at virtually no cost using Skype VOIP.

It's amazing how useful and versatile a device it is. Sometimes, though, it would be nice to have a little more acreage (a bigger screen).

Ipad would be perfect for that stuff. The only sucky part I've found is it can sometimes be a pain to transfer "stuff" between the devices. For example...if you take pictures on your iPhone but want to edit them on the larger iPad screen you pretty much have to email the pictures to yourself. (note: when you've got access to your computer with iTunes, you can sometimes sync stuff between the two, but I'm talking about if you're on a trip and all you brought were your iPhone and iPad.)

Otherwise, the iPad works really well for what you described. Many things, like watching movies, web surfing, and doing email are better on the iPad. Personally, I don't sync my music with my iPad because I've got that synced to my iPhone and I can't really think of a situation where I'd rather use the ipad to listen to music than the iPhone. Likewise, I stopped syncing videos with my iPhone (except for a few that Steven likes...good for keeping him occupied in line places, at dinner, etc) since the iPad is just better for that stuff. Overall I think the devices compliment each other pretty well.

I dumped my top of the line iPad for the iPhone 4 after two weeks of owning it, enduring the restock charge for the swap, and glad I did it.

Boiled down to this: Just couldn't carry it with me, I'm simply far too cool to have a man purse. I mean, my fellow employees would cease hearing the theme from "Shaft" as they do now upon seeing me enter their world... if I was donning a murse. John Shaft - watch yo self.

The other thing. I couldn't play one handed solitaire while driving with the iPad as you can with the iPhone. The damned screen is too effin big. I was actually getting real excercise with the iPad while trying to surf - far too much risk of injury to your rotator cuff. No one takes a bulky iPad to the men's room, but the iPhone sneaks right in. It's game time in your moment of refuge from America's decline. Paper toss baby, just one new high score and I'll get back to work.

Using Around Me on my way walking to the FINRA office in Battery Park a few weeks ago (which Maps was directing me to) showed 8 Irish pubs within 675 yards of my location. Holding a tablet would be far too cumbersome in this scenario. Glad I had the iPhone, cuz it was effin cold, and it went back into the cozy wool jacket's pocket every 50 yards of walking. The perps probably thought I was packing heat. I found that beer after enduring those danged stuffy attorneys, you would've too, while looking like you belonged in that city...owned that city.

Just keep telling yourself, smaller is better, as long as you know how to use it.

I'm typing this reply on the iPad using the excellent bluetooth Apple keyboard. Yes, I can use this combo as my "laptop" and it does a pretty good job. With "Pages" (Apple's word processing program that is now available as an iPad "app") I can do much of what I do on my computer. And all my devices work nicely together (iMac, iPhone, iPod, iPad). My photos, calendar, notes, music all sync up.

The iPad is a neat device..Netflix movies, Kindle novels, tons of apps. Now if I can only get more time with it when my granddaughter is done with her iPad books, games, etc. :P

I just swapped a 13" macbook for a 15" macbookpro with the high resolution screen. Now I think I could justify the ipad for couch web surfing duty. This 15" machine is too big and too heavy. But I think I might be inclined to go Macbook air instead, since I'm not sure I want to travel with this 15" thing, either. It's all a moot point because I'm not going to spend that kind of cash on a 'spare' computing device any time soon. Those of you with a significant other who can serve as an excuse for secondary hardware actually have an advantage on this one.

Archived