IGNORED

7th Annual West Coast

tcfjr

SoCal’s LD Riders Last Ride Of the Year

Wednesday Dec 29, Guadalupe, CA

It’s hard to imagine why, butt, a third of LD riders live where it’s frozen solid. Their motors have been “winterized” (a very scary word). It’s a process akin to embalming where fluids are changed and the life force is removed and placed on a bench with a Battery Tender on it.

All these riders are just grumpier then hell and can be found hunched over their little computers 24/7, wrapped in a tattered blanket, wearing long-johns (with button rear flap), earmuffs, fingerless gloves and peckin’ away. The “sit here, twist that” aggression is now directed solely at the little keyboard and what ever pops up on the screen. They’re probably typing like they ride . . . some smooth and effortless . . . others herky-jerky, pecking all over the place. All the while they’re mumbling, snortin’, dozin’ off and sending each message off with a “smack” of the SEND NOW key yelling “Stuff this up yur candy ass “final drive” drivel ‘n smoke it.” Then muttering “If I can’t ride, nobody’s gonna get the last word on me!” =:o

Another third can only get out on a rare good day. Some screw little metal studs into their tires, shoes, gloves and butt to maintain traction. And they ride till they can’t take the pain any longer and they’re always in danger of breaking off a very blue finger or black toe. Butt, just knowing they can still ride puts them into a moderately civil disposition. :^|

While the rest of us . . . well . . . life is good. Ride every day or at least every weekend. :^) The electrics are packed away somewhere. And we might even put it on if it gets down to the low-60′s! Burrrrr :^))

Then according to tradition, we’ll lift our glasses to honor our fellow LD riders, “Those that can’t (ride that is)”. And wish them a quick end to the “S” words (S-N-O-W, S-L-E-E-T), bike tire chains and ice of any color.

The timing of this ride is different this year. It’s usually on a weekend between Christmas & New Years. But with Christmas on Saturday, Dec 25 and New Years on Saturday, Jan 1, many (including myself) have weekend family obligations. So this year well see how many can show up in the middle of the week.

SoCal LD Rider’s “Because We Can” Ride-To-Eat

Meat & Greet

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

11:30 Noon – 2:00 PM

The Far Western Tavern

899 Guadalupe Street

or Highway 1 & Ninth Street

Guadalupe, California 93434

Phone: 805-343-2211

http://farwesterntavern.com

GPS: N 34° 58.169′; W120° 34.401

Map

This is a real, genuine “Santa Maria Style BBQ” steak house. The Far Western’s claim to fame is their “Bull’s Eye Steak” which is a prime cut rib eye steak. The 10 oz “Bull’s Eye Steak” is ~$20 and the 14 oz is ~$26. Most luncheon items are in the $10-15 range.

This is not banquet food! Unlike many restaurants that require a prepaid guarantee and a limited group menu, we are ordering off the regular lunch menu and each steak is prepared as ordered. There will be “one check per table”. Please bring a wad of cash in all faces (Jackson’s, Hamilton’s, Lincoln’s, and Washington’s) to simplify the “one-check-per-table” paying. A 15% gratuity will be added to each table’s check.

Please be aware that service may be a little slower under these conditions. However this give you all more time for tire kickin’ and spinning those tall tales.

Northern California LD folks, this is half way between Orange County and the Bay Area! 225+ miles one-way! Not even a full tank for most of you guys. It’s the perfect “last” ride-of-the-year ride.

RSVP: bnc@wcrides.com for a head count. Please name all in your party,

Just for fun, include your start location and what you’re riding.

NOTE: Long-distance riding legend Dean Tanji has coordinated this RTE in the past, but has other commitments this year.

Brian Casey, Temple City, CA, 2005 Yamaha FJR1300, IBA #25366

The place is a classic and it's got good food too.

Can't guaranty I'll make it but I'll consider. And I'll leave from Temple City just for you if I go.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I'm due for a TMR now (therapeutic motorcycle ride) but, I can wait until then. Definitely ummm tentative.

I'm due for a TMR now (therapeutic motorcycle ride) but, I can wait until then. Definitely ummm tentative.

Good! NorCal is woefully under represented at this event.

"You're kidding, right? What else could you possibly have going on?"

well, now that you mention it, absolutely nothing, being retarded and all. Butt, like my Mom used to say, "I might become incontinent".

You have a reason for not doing a 1/2 kilo day? you wretched provocature!

It's only Guadalupe. I mean it's not like somebody's suggesting hitting Phil's Fish Market for lunch.

That was a fun day. As I was having lunch, I thought to myself "If I wasn't being so sociable, I could have had a kilo-mile day". Instead, it turned out to be merely a 0.9 kilo-mile day.

:/

Are we going to do this again?

notacop]Oldmoto,

You have to get a receipt from a gas station in Bakersfield to even up the mileage with the rest of us. This a LD sponsored event. :grin:

Ill ride around the block a couple of times to make up the mileage.. :rofl:

Dang, and I'm going to be in San Diego WITHOUT my bike that week! At least let me know the next time you want to go to Phil's! (but make it soon, as they MAY be forced to close!)

Have a great time, and I'll try and make an extra ride around Santa Cruz County to make up for missing this.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Weather at 6 says....Probably unlikely.. :(

The guy up here says that the rain is gonna be heavy Tuesday night and tapering off to showers (probability 50%) on Wed.

That is probably good enough for us. But you never know...

NOAA says 70% chance of showers down there, mainly before 10 am.

Jeez Ray, build a proper garage for that BMW fer chrissakes....

You are a carpenter, right?

:wave:

MB>

What do they say about the shoe maker; having the worst shoes. :thumbsup:

Boney a few of us (2 for sure maybe 3) are camping on Thursday evening somewhere south of SF (maybe as far as Big Sur, not really sure)....then head for Oakhurst and up 49 on Friday....you are welcome to join us if you are interested....

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Boney a few of us (2 for sure maybe 3) are camping on Thursday evening somewhere south of SF (maybe as far as Big Sur, not really sure)....then head for Oakhurst and up 49 on Friday....you are welcome to join us if you are interested....

Thanks for the offer. We'll be getting an early starts and heading down 25 and other smaller roads and coming back up 101. Both of us have to be at work on Thursday morning, so it's a down-and-back trip.

BlueByU]The rain as cleared out and is heading toward LA.Roads will be wet.

I'm out, still raining here :(...Those that are going have fun...

There are a few SouthCoasters who are interested in doing the ride tomorrow. If you are interested in joining us, you are certainly welcome. Here is a link to our tentative route and itinerary.

KMAC - here is your chance to improve your miles per post ratio.

:grin:

You sad cop-out! I figured I'd be out of the rain by the west side of Simi Valley. I was right. Just a tinge of damp after that. So there were maybe a couple dozen of us. Heidi from Yuma was there regaling stories of Africa Safari and the Antarctic. NICe lunchy.

Better to have tail wind on the way home. Average 59mpg at speed.

Saw a nice rainbow over Santy Barabara. But then isn't that just gods favorite place anyway?

Ya'll have a nice trip Thursday, when the weather is woosey good!

Well I hate to blow the woosy ride dream of ideal weather.We R under a wind advistor till late thursday 35 to 50 with gust of 75 in the mtns near Santa Barbara.

DaveTheAffable

Interesting... info I got was that wind advisory was over around 1am - 4am Thursday, but expecting 10 - 18 mph along the coast for the rest of the day. That's riding weather, but with a high of 49*, it'll be cool.

Linky

Ya'll have a nice trip Thursday, when the weather is woosey good!

We shall. There is nothing I needed to prove by riding across L.A. in the rain.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

We left at oh-dark-thirty this morning and rode Hwy 25 out of Hollister along the way. Then Peachtree Rd and Indian Valley Road to 101 and south into Guadalupe. A lot of the roads were wet but we were chasing the clouds the whole way. Only 10 minutes of rain in SLO. Tailwind all the way down, headwind all the way back. Nice to meet you Bob.

GPS was off during lunch:

1141164070_GyPws-M.jpg

The pleasure was all mine.Enjoyed the short chat.If I head up that way I'll let U know or if U guy get down this way I alway have a extra room.OK Phase 2 riders R coming in tomorrow.So I will get to see some more beemer guys & gal and make new friend.

We left at oh-dark-thirty this morning and rode Hwy 25 out of Hollister along the way. Then Peachtree Rd and Indian Valley Road to 101 and south into Guadalupe. A lot of the roads were wet but we were chasing the clouds the whole way. Only 10 minutes of rain in SLO. Tailwind all the way down, headwind all the way back. Nice to meet you Bob.

1141164070_GyPws-M.jpg

Like wise here too.If U guys get down this way again let me know.OK

1141164070_GyPws-M.jpg

Archived