IGNORED

Intercom mounting ideas?

RussInParis

Hey,

Well, we finally have some snow and ice here, which gives me the excuse to take off the tupperware and start farkling our '08 R1200RT; Zumo 660, Starcom1 digital, and Kenwood TK 3201 coming up.

When we had the R1150RT with an Autocom, I just sort of stuffed everything in the tail wrapped in rags so it wouldn't bump around too much, but I'd kind of like to do a better install this time around.

The Starcom1 includes velcro and plastic ties for mounting, and one idea is velcroing it to the top flat part of the tail section. There's not as much room as the R1150RT because of the alarm unit and accessory plug. I'm not sure that the velcro is really strong enough to hold it in place over the next X thousand kms though, and my experience is it tends to eventually let go, leaving surfaces sticky but not attached. :( Some sort of "holster" or holder would be ideal if I could figure out how to build and attach it.

I'm also debating drilling holes and mounting the weatherproof headset jacks instead of just having wires hanging out like we did last time. Just beside the pilion accessory plug is a good option for the pillion headset jack; not sure where to mount the jack for the pilot as the radio controls are taking up a lot of space there. Maybe on the bottom part of the left fairing??

So... if anyone has "been there, done that" and has advice and/or pics that can save me some head scratching, feel free to share.

Thanks.

Russ

Put all my stuff inside the "glove box". Waterproof. Outta sight. Dremel'd a small hole in the upper right corner and all wiring feeds in thru there. Sealed it with silicone.

I'm also debating drilling holes and mounting the weatherproof headset jacks instead of just having wires hanging out like we did last time. Just beside the pilion accessory plug is a good option for the pillion headset jack; not sure where to mount the jack for the pilot as the radio controls are taking up a lot of space there. Maybe on the bottom part of the left fairing??

So... if anyone has "been there, done that" and has advice and/or pics that can save me some head scratching, feel free to share.

I would recommend against a bulkhead mount for your headset connector. Unless you pull it out exactly straight, you can dammage the pins and in a moto environment, it will probably get a lot of sideways tugs. I actually spoke with Tom (autocom tom) on this topic a couple years ago and that is why they don't offer one as an accessory.

I had an Autocom on my 08 RT and I wrapped it in bubble wrap and stuck it in the tail. I didn't have the alarm, but did have the TPM unit in back. There was plenty of room.

The Starcom is a lot smaller, I think it will fit fine. I'd recommend the same approach, just wrap it in something soft and stuff it back there. You could also drill two holes in the flat part on top and run a zip tie around it.

The bulk head connectors make one handed cable connections a snap. If you are concerned about the connectors in the long run, just use the short extension on the bulkhead and when you mangle it replace it. Orient the bulkhead so the connector pulls out as straight as possible.

The downside for me to the hanging cable approach is over time you end up messing the paint where the connector lands unless you are diligent about making sure it's snapped (autocom) or plugged (starcom) into it's holder.

Thanks for the responses.

Bob; can't do the glovebox thing because the CD player is in there. The previous owner also bought that cable that allows you to hook up an ipod and play it over the RT speakers, which is neat. I've been looking for a way to hook up the zumo to this input but didn't find anything yet (the audio out of the zumo is going to the Starcom1, so I'd have to get a splitter or something).

So for the bulkhead permanent mounted socket idea there's one for, one against. And it seems no one has tried my "holster" idea. I don't want to zip tie it in case I want to reprogram something (the Starcom1 digital has a bunch of parameters that can be changed but you need to push buttons on the unit itself).

I can see that there would be some sideways pressure on that socket no matter how you do it.

More thinking...

Russ

I have the digital advance starcom unit installed under the rear seat mounted on a metal plate that is mounted across the frame rails. this lets me look at the function lights if needed and to make adjustmment with ease. Also plugging in and out items is real easy. I'm running the Garmin 550 and 2 ipods thru it.

I cant figure out how to send a picture thru just yet but PM me and hopefully I can send it

Miguel

Hey, that's what I'm talking about! Great idea. Hard to believe there's that much clearance under the seat. I'll try that out.

I've got the GPS mounted, power supply in, and the radio box apart, but need to get the pins to hook up the Starcom1 to the Rear speakers on the radio harness. Although with the 11cm of snow we just got here, I may be stuck at home tomorrow.

...I don't suppose you've mounted the SH-004 (microphone bud instead of boom) in a BMW System 6? Can't figure out what the trick is to route the microphone wire up around the hinge...

Thanks,

Russ

no sorry.

Yeah i just got a piece of 0.060" aluminum and gave it a slight bend across my thigh and tie wraped in place. No idea on the helmet, have a shoie RF1100, everything in very neat. Although for you maybe at the top in the middle and then down the side. Use some hot glue to hold the wire in place?

Good luck.

With the metal piece across the rails I plan to install a centech relay fuse block for future needs ( fog lights or heated vest) instead of using the cam-bus. this can be screwed on to the plate and still have access.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The Starcom1 includes velcro and plastic ties for mounting, and one idea is velcroing it to the top flat part of the tail section. There's not as much room as the R1150RT because of the alarm unit and accessory plug. I'm not sure that the velcro is really strong enough to hold it in place over the next X thousand kms though, and my experience is it tends to eventually let go, leaving surfaces sticky but not attached. :( Some sort of "holster" or holder would be ideal if I could figure out how to build and attach it.

Here's my Autocomm install on my 1200RT:

600719649_qAqCB-L.jpg

Can't see it? Good! It's at the top-center of the photo, hung up on the ceiling of the cave underneath the rack. The module is longer than the ceiling's flat space, so there's a custom spacer in there:

-a flat plate, secured to the ceiling with 3M Duolock;

-a 3/4" spacer bolted to that plate

-a second flat plate bolted to the bottom of that spacer, from which the Autocomm hangs with more Duolock.

Hanging it from the ceiling leaves the cave free to store more stuff, like spare parts and tools.

Duolock (go to www.mcmaster.com, search for Velcro, then select "self-lock mushroom head" and order a nice long 3" wide strip of it) is by 3M, and if the mounting surfaces are properly cleaned and the Duolock is applied with even/firm pressure, the adhesive is tenacious stuff. I installed my Autocomm in spring '09, and it's still hanging in there, 13,000 miles later. Not expecting any problems in the future.

The "cave" idea was what I was originally thinking but couldn't quite figure out. Do you have an alarm in the tail as well? I don't have too much space between the alarm and the top, not sure if there's enough for the Starcom unit, although it is quite small.

* Helpful Hint For Those Attempting This Install *

Be sure to disactivate the alarm (using all those special remote button pushes) BEFORE disconnecting the battery terminals to avoid the commensurate deafening from the siren and frantic searching for the keys.

* End of Helpful Hint *

I'm liking the idea of the mount on the bracket since it's nice to keep the Starcom accessible in case you want to change one of the many parameters. When we had an autocom, there was very little to change on it, so I never really needed to access it.

However, when I attached the Starcom to my newly fabricated, painted and installed bracket I found it interfered with the passenger seat fitting into the front seat, so I need to redo it. Not sure how mig got his to work since mine looks very similar. Oh well. At least I'm not paying someone else to screw up.

I think it's coming along real well: :/

RT_install.jpg

Archived