IGNORED

R1100RT fuel filler neck

AndyS

On the fuel filler neck, there are 2 pipes which terminate onto rubber hoses, and a 3rd long pipe that goes into the tank by about 120mm, this has some sort of cup on the end. What is it for. And if it comes off and drops into the tank, what are the implications?

Is this just a push on feature?

Andy

The two pipes that terminate onto rubber hoses:

1 is an overflow from the top outside of the filler neck.

The other is a vent line for inside the tank. It connects to the thing you mention as a "cup". This "cup" comes off and floats around on many bikes and doesn't cause any problems.

I believe that the cup is there so that when you rock the bike on the twists or so, gas doesn't co trough the pipe directly and get outside. So it hits the cup and not the pipe and still connects the inside of the tank with the outside, without any leaks.

Dan.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

one would anticipate that if the bike were overturned there would/should be a mechanism in place to prevent fuel escaping via the vent line... might the cup also provides this functionality?

one would anticipate that if the bike were overturned there would/should be a mechanism in place to prevent fuel escaping via the vent line... might the cup also provides this functionality?

Not in my experience; I had a garage tipover this spring with a full tank of gas, and the RT was puking fuel all over the floor.

Not in my experience; I had a garage tipover this spring with a full tank of gas, and the RT was puking fuel all over the floor.
In other words, your cup runneth over. ;)

My bike has no cup. Just three hoses dangling near the right footpeg (the third was a vent line for the old, unsealed lead-acid batteries).

Ok, so this thing can come off.

What does it do?

What is it meant to do?

If it is left off, will the bike siphon fuel out of the open end of the drain hose until it reaches the level of the tube inlet?

Has anyone got a picture of what it looks like from other angles?

Andy

5352.jpg.f0d2af44d2ce294795bda8759cd0e4ce.jpg

That is the tank vent assembly. It is intended to float on the top of the fuel and vent the tank. It also incorporates a valve which is intended to prevent the fuel escaping in the event of a tip-over.

Andy

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

nothing like a good picture to help clarify.

i am pretty sure that i dont have one of those on my 1150.

( i took out the filler and drilled holes in it so i could fill to the brim and thus extend my fill up interval to 350 km prior to fuel light coming on)

"if i dont got it - you dont need it" :grin:

That is {and this is not the techical name of it,more of the functional name} the spill "proof", LOL, tank vent. And it also is the unleaded fuel diameter restrictor so you can not put in leaded or diesel fuels on accident. I know leaded fuel is not readily available anymore, but it can still be found at small airports and maybe oddball foreign countries, so the use a diameter restrictor on all gasoline powered street vehichles.

PS i have never found a single anti-spill vent device that actually prevents fuel from leaking in a layover. Every MX bike now days has some sort of a check ball, one way anti spill device....apparently gasoline is smarter than some engineers because they ALL dump gas on every layover...even when new and clean.

And it also is the unleaded fuel diameter restrictor so you can not put in leaded or diesel fuels on accident.

The pumps have a larger pipe for diesel fuels so that you cannot put the pump pipe inside the tank.

However, once when I was really tired, I did manage to put ~ 2 liters of diesel in my RT :( I just topped the tank with gasoline and I did not feel anything :)

Dan.

So does this little cup have a hole in the top surface?

Hoorah!!

The missing object has now been retrieved from the tank! It has been re-attached to the pipe.

The pipe from the filler neck protrudes forwards by about 120mm and then turns sharply upwards by about 20mm.

The Plastic thingy (for that surely is what it should be called!) is not a cup, it is more like a hollow lozenge, and it is just pushed downward onto the pipe and uses some moulded in lobes to ensure it grips the pipe sufficiently.

Pictures of this will follow (for the enlightenment of those who are curious as to what it looks like).

So, this plastic thingy has a tiny hole in both its top and bottom surface, what this actually accomplishes is unclear to me, but none the less it's back from whence it came.

Andy

Andy, how did all this get started in the first place...?

Well there's a long story and a short one.

I'll stick to the short one.

Filler neck removed to add vent hole (a mod I like).

On lifting filler neck the 'Plastic Thingy' abuts the central lower spine of the tank and pops off the forward facing filler neck pipe.....sploosh and sinks to the bottom of the RHS of tank!

So, we syphon out the tank, and then roll it over so that we can hook it out again.

Wasn't as painful as it could have been!

Andy

When taking the metal cap off, a good thing to do is remove the rust that accumulates over the time in the draining pipe. It took mine ~ 15 mins to clear and almost a tube of wd40 to get it all cleaned out nice. There's no more water entering the tank when fueling now :D

Dan.

Pictures of this will follow (for the enlightenment of those who are curious as to what it looks like). Andy

You'll see from this picture how the filler tube pushes locates in the Thingy. Also the small approx 1mm hole in the lower surface

Andy

5355.jpg.2de2d4b8256e0e4dce346e7e3d0cf3ab.jpg

Pictures of this will follow (for the enlightenment of those who are curious as to what it looks like). Andy

Thingy top view. again with a hole approx 1mm diameter

5356.jpg.ca55670ed013c5a6a3b5a7f77e276acf.jpg

I think that the small holes are the actual vent and drain holes. The size of the small holes top and bottom are meant to slow the incursion of fuel in a tip over and to drain the fuel that gets in. So that's why the bike does eventually start leaking fuel if it isn't picked up right away after a tip-over.

Archived