IGNORED

Help identify this connector

cali_beemer

I have a conector dangling in front of the front shock. It looks like a simple 2 position conector with some snap locking features on the sides. Its not appearant that its hooked to anything. I followed the line back as much as I can and it appears to go back toward the fuse box. I have a service receipt that the original owner had and there is a line item to add a front accesory harness. I am not sure what that would be for. I am adding some PIAA lights that the original owner was going to install but never got around to, could it be for that?

connector.jpg

That one looks exactly like my 12V cigarrete plug on the dashboard. Do you have one on the upper L/H side?

Dan.

No, no additional power outlets that I can see. Do you think he had planned on adding a powerlet somewhere but never did?

Looks similar to the connector for the driving lights switch on the left side of the dash on my '04 1150RT.

Just another possibility...

I should note that my driving lights work when I flip that switch on the dash, so I would assume the wire for that is hooked up.

That one looks exactly like my 12V cigarrete plug on the dashboard. Do you have one on the upper L/H side?

Dan.

No, no additional power outlets that I can see. Do you think he had planned on adding a powerlet somewhere but never did?

Just checked mine and it looks the same and it has 12V and fits in my cigar connector on the dash.

Perhaps the harness is the same on these bikes only they did not drill the dash to mount it on yours ;)

Dan

Dan.

Just checked mine and it looks the same and it has 12V and fits in my cigar connector on the dash.

Perhaps the harness is the same on these bikes only they did not drill the dash to mount it on yours ;)

Dan

I am assuming you have the R1100RT, where it came form the factory with an outlet on the dash? On the 1150, the bike didnt have a cigar connector on the dash. Maybe there was a plan to add one by the original owner at one time or another.

BTW, thank you for looking!

Evening Cali,

I am not directly experienced with that particular connector, BUT, you say it has 12V? Is that with the key on or with the ket off?

If it is with the key off it may be a battery trickle charger connector.

It looks like the area i have my trickle charger connector hanging on my bike. A simple 2 with +- plug directly to the battery maybe?

I thought I read on one of these forums that all 1100 RTs were wired for a radio, while having them installed was an option? I'm relying on memory which has failed me more than once.

Took a pic of mine.

NewImage-1.jpg

It is located in the upper left part behind the dash, where the connectors for the other 3 buttons are: ABS, hazard lights and heated grips.

That sure does look like the same connector. I figured it was a BMW wire/connector. It uses the same sleeve material to it. I suppose I should be able to add a power outlet to this then. Thanks for your help.

I believe it's a factory connector. If that's the rear shock behind it in the OP's picture, it's used for a BMW optional dual powerlet outlet that mounts to a bracket behind the left black side panel. The powerlet connectors are accessed through the hole in the panel. It's actually a cheap and convenient option, useful for heated clothing and other electronics without cluttering up the 'dash' area with dangling cords. It's the only 'farkle' I've put on my 2000RT

I think Cali will inform us, but I think we are looking at the front shock. And I think Dan is on the money. What colours are the wires?

Andy

I think Cali will inform us, but I think we are looking at the front shock. And I think Dan is on the money. What colours are the wires?

Andy

What's that suppose to mean? :)

Yes, the picture I took is of the connector in front of the front shock, not the rear. The bike does have the dual powerlets out the back left side, but I thought the RT came that way from the factory. I am not certan the color of wire, but it has a BMW grade cover over the wires and someone purposefully ran this to the front of the bike as it follows the OEM harness under the tank.

Archived