IGNORED

BMW Black Tape-

Nesbocaj

I'm thinking of ordering a case of this hard to find tape that BMW uses. It is the Certoplast 525, not the 510 that most think is the correct tape, they would be wrong:) I have compared some samples from the manufacturer, the 525 tape is the deal.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in some at cost?

I bought a roll from my dealer about two years ago. Took about a week, was reasonably priced as I recall. I just looked at the fiche for an RT, the PN is 6113690258. They show a roll at 27.50. There's no way I paid that much, I may have had another PN or maybe it's gone up a bunch. I have about half the roll left, maybe I should start locking my toolbox.

Forget that stuff.

We do a lot of electrical work on Beemers and other bikes, custom harnesses, you name it.. Save yourself a ton of dough, go to your local sporting goods store and buy a roll of 'hockey tape' - the stuff is used for wrapping hockey stick handles. It is virtually indistinguishable from the BMW factory tape and works beautifully, is tough as nails, adheres well, comes in many different widths and costs about $6 a roll.

So now the secret is out ;-).

yep I would love some I have made around 10+ harnesses in the past few years. Good quality tape that looks OEM makes a difference in the finished product.

Fightingpiper
Forget that stuff.

We do a lot of electrical work on Beemers and other bikes, custom harnesses, you name it.. Save yourself a ton of dough, go to your local sporting goods store and buy a roll of 'hockey tape' - the stuff is used for wrapping hockey stick handles. It is virtually indistinguishable from the BMW factory tape and works beautifully, is tough as nails, adheres well, comes in many different widths and costs about $6 a roll.

I used the black hockey tape when I installed all my Farkles. Worked great and cheap.

I found some sort of cloth tape that was pretty good match in the electrical section of a big box store and it isn't gummy on the outside surface like regular friction tape. Whatever it is (I forget), its close enough. I loom my add ons anyway. I keep machines a very long time and am not into do overs.

Just waiting on the cost of the case then I'll get back to those interested. I too like to keep the OEM look.

I'd be interested in a couple of rolls! I also like the factory look!

Steve

Forget that stuff.

Good TIP!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Nesbocaj for putting this together! Lots of work for a little bit of tape, but very much appreciated! Been looking for this stuff for some time and now I've got 3 bikes worth! :clap::thumbsup:

Thanks Bo,

I am looking to get some more from the manufacturer, we shall see.

correction: the tape is 25M/82', the correspondence I had was not correct.

I have more of the Certoplast 525 19mmx25M Fabric tape.

PM me if you would like some. I am sending it out for what it costs to do so.

This is the same tape BMW uses on the wiring looms.

Bob

A couple of weeks ago, I stripped off the rotted rubber outer sheath on the battery leads of my R1100RT, and replaced it with PET expandable sleeving. Great stuff, expands to 1" diameter when pushed, then shrinks when stretched. After sliding it over the wires, I stretched it, then secured the ends with heat shrink tubing. Very pleased with the result.

5414.jpg.f1218ce1cc3b455c75a41f17ccf71017.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived