IGNORED

2010 RT vs 2009 RT

Francis

I'm interestd in learning about the performance differences between the 2009 RT with traditional valving and the 2010 RT with the overhead cams. Other than the new switch gear and the handlebar mounting for the brake and clutch fluids on the 2010 model, is there a difference in acceleration and power between the two models both technically and in the seat-of-the-pants experience?

Also, what differences are there in terms of maintenance and service related issues between the two models?

Approaching 20k on my 2010, changed from 2009 in March. The 2010 is generally less "agricultural". Certainly quieter from the box of spanners point of view but with a better exhaust tone and marginally smoother/livelier. At my 18k service, there was no mention of there being brake wear and knowing my dealer, they take every opportunity to add some work. Only really started to work nicely at 15k so if you get one, persevere or buy one with a good few miles on the clock. Too many people look for low mileage and will never reach the 15k "sweet spot". Still 6k service intervals.

When chasing Bernie on my '05, I would have to row between 4th and 5th gear to keep on his 6. With the '10, I can leave it in 5th or 6th and can keep up. Also, I don't have to drop down a gear to pass; just twist and go.

Been through two scheduled services and the valves have yet to need adjustment. Approaching the third service and they are still quiet.

I really like the windscreen. Does not flutter or flap around, no back pressure, and no buffeting.

Try it, you'll like it.

Bill

ride your '09 down to the nearest dealership that does 24hour test rides, pick up the 2011 they will now have available and go put a couple hundred miles on it, then ride your bike home.

Take note of your first impressions when you get on the new bike after riding your bike back to back, but then take notes of your first impressions when you get back on your own bike.

Note likes and dislikes of both bikes. Do the old pros/cons list. First con would be initial buy in cost.

I just did a demo on a 2011 GSA 1200 and when i first got off of my old 96 RT i couldnt believe how much snappier the power was and how much better the clutch and brakes were. I loved it. But after a 225 mile morning i felt the bike to be a bit buzzy feeling and when i got back on my RTin the afternoon, i actually loved my bike all over again. It was wierd. Loved the GSA at first, but then loved my RT once i got back on it. JMHO

I just did a demo on a 2011 GSA 1200 and when i first got off of my old 96 RT i couldnt believe how much snappier the power was and how much better the clutch and brakes were. I loved it. But after a 225 mile morning i felt the bike to be a bit buzzy feeling and when i got back on my RTin the afternoon, i actually loved my bike all over again. It was wierd. Loved the GSA at first, but then loved my RT once i got back on it. JMHO

When I bought my R1200RT, I noticed right away that it felt much smoother than the R1200GS. I also just picked up my 2004 R1150RT and I was making comment the other day that it was alot smoother than my 2004 R1150GS I had. I am coming to the conclusion the RT is just a smoother bike. I believe the RT has vibration isolating handlebars while the GS doesnt. I can only assume this is where the difference lies. For a comparison, you would need to compare the same model.

When I bought my R1200RT, I noticed right away that it felt much smoother than the R1200GS. I also just picked up my 2004 R1150RT and I was making comment the other day that it was alot smoother than my 2004 R1150GS I had. I am coming to the conclusion the RT is just a smoother bike. I believe the RT has vibration isolating handlebars while the GS doesnt. I can only assume this is where the difference lies. For a comparison, you would need to compare the same model.

I think, for the most part, a GS is running at a higher RPM, for any given road speed, than the RT. That, in itself, will make a noticeable difference in how "busy" the bike seems.

I think, for the most part, a GS is running at a higher RPM, for any given road speed, than the RT. That, in itself, will make a noticeable difference in how "busy" the bike seems.

True, but IMO the difference wasnt just at one RPM point but rather through the entire RPM range which would lead me to believe there is some other mechanical means for the difference. The chassis felt restless as well compared to the RT but some of this could be in part to the weight of the bike as well. The other thing to take into consideration is mileage. The GS I rode was new and my RT has 20k miles. A boxxer broken in will feel smoother.

CoarsegoldKid

A little off topic but I don't think the RT has vibration isolation handlebars. My '05 doesn't. I didn't think Franz's '08 GS vibrates or feels busier than the '05 RT. The '08 GS does have a lighter weight going for it and also lower gearing so it will pull out ahead of my RT in a roll-on contest. On a particular straight stretch of pavement that goes on for a couple of miles he and I rolled on from 5th gear at about 65 mph. He pulled out about 60 feet on me and then at the top of 5th just as the RT began bouncing on the rev-limiter I caught Franz's GS. I don't know what his shift points were. I just shifted into 6th as we approached a curve neither of us wanted to brave at that speed and we both backed off.

The camhead has more HP and torque. All things being equal gearing and weight and model wise with '09 hexhead the camhead should leave the hexhead for dead. In handling corners I would expect camhead RT to be apples to apples with hexhead RT. Same for GS models.

I never meant to make it sound as though the gsa and the rt was an apples to apples comparison...it was meant as a suggestion to ride to the dealer and demo a bike, then compare the pros and cons to see if an upgrade would be worth even considering.

My input on the comparision of what i felt about the gsa in relation to my rt was meant to show that i ended up at the end of the day, happier with my own bike than i thought i would be.

A little off topic but I don't think the RT has vibration isolation handlebars. My '05 doesn't.

They should be there if I remeber my 05 correctly. The handlebars are mounted with rubber isolators, I believe. You cant see them as they are inside the bar. Go ahead and twist the grip area seperate from the bar base and watch them move. (note: the whole control area is rubber mounted from the stems)

The new 2010 R1200RT also has a new rubber bearing base mount, whatever that means. I am not really sure as I havent seen it but they have taken further steps to reduce the vibration in the bars with the 2010.

And in the end, both GS and RT get me to and from the Kroger store in just about the same amount of time. One thing great about getting older - most any machine I ride or drive is 10 times faster/quicker/agile and sees better than me.

Sad to say, but given a decent chassis/suspension with 60 horse power and I'd probably be at my limits.

As a side note, for me the buzzy feeling on the gsa was in the seat and pegs as much if not more than the bars.

Not meant as a critisizm of the newer motors or newer bikes, it just made be appreciate my oldy but goodie.

Francis-

Any moto-mag test of the new '10+ models inevitably has plenty of comparison to the previous model year, because the main difference here is the engine. In summary from everything I've read, the objective differences (actual measured acceleration) are insignificant. BMW Magazine, I believe, actually recorded better numbers with the '09 model, and I don't think they are alone. However, they all praise the linear power delivery and sound of the new engine vs. the old. Test ride and see what you think. For me, I got my '09 this past January as a leftover for some $3500 under MSRP, brand new. I like a nice sound like the next guy, but $3500 sounded pretty good to me too!

-MKL

Archived