IGNORED

voltage meter

timboaz

Has anyone added a volt meter to their R1200RT? Its cold and I am running handle bars, seat and Gerbings jacket liner and want to add Gerbings pants and don't know if I will be discharging. What kind and where installed?

Timbo

Be a little cautious, find one that you can set up to switch off or measure only a circuit that goes completely off with the bike. You don't want to add another parasitic load. A friend of mine got a nifty little unit that went on the dash. Turned out it drew 20 milli amps on top of the bike's draw when shut down. Killed his battery fairly quickly. I use to be a guage freak. Turns out I worried more watching all the gauges. Aerostitch has some. And I have seen several at the bike shops in blister packs.

Evening Timbo

I regularly run more that that on my 1200 RT without any problems.

Your 1200 RT has a 55 amp alternator (big as some cars), that’s at 4000 RPM’s, but it still puts out 27 amps at 1000 RPM’s (basically idle).

You didn’t say what year 1200RT you have but according to BMW the later ones have an idle boost algorithm built into the BMS-K that raises the engine idle RPM slightly if it senses low system voltage.

In any case to answer your question about a voltmeter. I have a cheap digital voltmeter that fits on the same ball mount as my GPS does and simply plugs into the GPS power plug. I seldom use it though. It can set to monitor constant voltage or I can set it to trap either high of low voltages as well as monitor instant voltages.

If you run a GPS you might do some research to see if it (the GPS) has a built in test screen that brings up supply voltage going into it. My Garmin Zumo 550 has such a test screen but it takes a little fiddling to get it to appear.

I use one on the bikes that have a 276C on them. (also 376 & 476). You can display voltage in one corner of the GPS display. My Zumo 550 that I use on my R1200RT does not have that capability but I wish it did. I also have an R80RT and that has an OEM volt meter built in the dash. Don't know why they did away with it.

here you go 1 1/4 by 7/8

I have one on all four bikes, tie it in to your jack on the left side. these things are great and only 20 bucks. waterproof and really accurate also digital. you do have to cut a rectangle hole but not that hard. My 87 k75 has had one working for 15 years now. these things are beter than sliced breadddddddd...

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4231

I have a Datel LED meter installed in the dash like the one pictured below. It's connected to a fuseblock on a switched circuit. Works well. The LCD's are clearer but are not waterproof.

20dcm_1888b.gif

20pc_dcm0b.gif

Check your local WalMart. I found this little gem in their automotive dept. It plugs into a car cigarette lighter, that has a digital voltage readout, plus some idiot lites that indicate if that voltage is good or bad, depending on if the engine is running or not. Only about $15.

http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/kgotzenberg/Walmart%20voltmeter/?action=view&current=072.jpg

?action=view&current=072.jpg

for 20 bucks and waterproof now thats hard to beat, the one in my electric boat has never been turned off in 4 years, and it still reads .3v of my fluke

You can get a voltmeter for peace of mind, but there is no way the items you mentioned are going to challenge alternator on the RT. I have run a full head-to-toe ensemble of Gerbings gear, plus lights, grips, heated seat etc with no problems at all. Just remember to start the engine before turning the gear on, and turn the gear off before shutting off the engine.

Jay

Just remember to start the engine before turning the gear on, and turn the gear off before shutting off the engine.

Jay

Can I ask why you do this?

I to run a heated Gerbing jacket liner + gloves. and at night an extra 130watts of lighting, with grips and seat on.

I tend not to switch stuff off, well maybe jacket an gloves but that's because they get to hot in town and I run them via a switched relay as my controller packed up last year.

Just wondered?

\v/

Just remember to start the engine before turning the gear on, and turn the gear off before shutting off the engine.

Jay

Can I ask why you do this?

Primarily because that is what Gerbings recommends in the intructions that come with the gear. At startup it assures that ~all of the battery's power is available to the starter motor, but I'm not so sure why it would be necessary at shut down. Maybe to ensure that the battery is "put away" with a full charge at the end of the ride?

Jay

That's a nice alternative but one would spend time and money to make a pernament mount for it. Would look silly velco'ed to my tank bag like the Gerbings controller. Perfect for the budget DYI guy.

Here is another source for the "$20 alternative" PWM module. If you scroll down note they offer a box to put it in.

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033

I've used two of these units for five years and they work flawlessly. They can easily be mounted in the fairing so all that can be seen is the adjustment knob, an LED and a powerlet outlet.

Archived