IGNORED

Rear wheel

LeftCoastMan

Today, I was filling up the air in my rear tire, when I noticed that the wheel was coated in oil. The front wheel wasn't, so I'm assuming it's coming from my bike. I looked all around the final drive, and it's basically clean. I'm not sure what the smell of FD oil is (I heard it's memorable), but I don't smell anything.

Then while I was spinning the rear wheel, it didn't appear to be spinning freely, but I don't actually recall how it should feel. Does it spin a few rotations with a good shove? Or it's just supposed to move a little bit?

What might be my issue(s)? I have a lot of warranty left, so I want to attack this ASAP.

CoarsegoldKid

Attack! FD fluid does have a distinct odor. Does your oil residue have an odor? Could it be brake fluid? Did you mess with the brakes lately?

Neighbor kids are spraying your rear wheel with lube!

Damn neighbor kids!

Bike stays in garage, so I'm safe there. I haven't done anything to the bike in a couple of months, except an oil change. Oil has no odor at all. Maybe eating too many habaneros has harmed my sense of smell. LOL.

How about the wheel spinning? Could that be a problem?

It does not spin at all, just moves. Grab it and see if you can wiggle it perpendicular to the axle. If it is loose you are in big trouble with a failed final drive. But relax there is an alternative that is more common. Being a 1200 you have the hollow drive. Check and see if it is leaking at the outside by the black ring on the drive. This covers a 50mm seal that is known to fail. If this is it you have an easy fix you can do yourself. Pull the black ring, (pry it out), remove the snap ring, pry out the old seal, clean, tap in straight a new seal and put everything back. Now drain and refill the oil. Not sure where it is leaking? clean with some cheap spray solvent like brake cleaner, let dry and spray on some powdered foot fungus spray. Either ride the bike around the block (or ten) or run it on the center stand for a few minutes in gear and see where the powder changes color..., oil leak found.

Beech, thanks. Good to know. I just couldn't remember if it did or not. No perpendicular wiggle at all. I just changed the FD oil, and barely had any metal on the magnetic sensor.

I'm not seeing any leaking on the drive at all. I have crawled around with a bright light trying to find a source.

I think I'm going to follow your suggestion and clean everything. Powdered foot fungus spray? OK, that is a new one! Please don't tell me you're pulling my chain! :D Or final drive. :D

CoarsegoldKid
I just changed the FD oil, and barely had any metal on the magnetic sensor.

If your model has you replacing the fluid through the speed sensor opening I would go back there and change the o-ring. You may have pinched it.

I just changed the FD oil, and barely had any metal on the magnetic sensor.

If your model has you replacing the fluid through the speed sensor opening I would go back there and change the o-ring. You may have pinched it.

When I said "just changed it", it was around 5000 miles ago. I was going to wash the bike today and see where the oil was coming from, but it's raining. I know, I'm total wimp for not washing my bike in the rain. Free water to rinse it.

Archived