IGNORED

Favorite Road Tunes

bmurphypdx

My honey and I developed a playlist of tunes that we listen to as we ride.

My top two are "Highway to the Danger Zone" (from the Top Gun soundtrack) and "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn.

Neither of us are all that up on music so we pick our songs one at a time as we hear ones we like on the radio.

So we are asking for your help in expanding our playlist.

What are your top one or two songs?

Thanks!

P.S. Opposed to listening to music while riding? Just move along to another thread - nothing for you here - no need to comment.

"Born to be Wild"..Steppenwolf I think. Anything from the "Easy Rider" soundtrack

Marty Robbins has some great road tunes

ZZ Top, "Sharp Dressed man"

That's a tough one... I like pretty much everything... :grin:

Currently I'm really liking "Home" by Marc Broussard (I think that's how it's spelled)

And anything from ACDC. :wave:

I listen to the same dozen or so but I have to be careful. The more the song moves me the faster I ride.

If top 2 only

Journey (Steve Perry)

Jewel

Terry

The song, "Johnny Cash" by Jason Aldean is a top road tune of mine. I can still remember listening to it on my way out of Vegas on my 97 RT, doing 90+ passing cars while listening to it. The song makes a refernce to Vegas so it was pretty cool.

Billy Thorpe. Children of the Sun.

Always at full volume.

doo doo duh dah da da duh da duh, children ooof the suuuuuUUunnnn, doo doo do duh...

Where's my ipod? I got some rockin' out to do.

AC/DC's Dog Eat Dog is an under appreciated tune.

I'm pretty much on XM Blues channel 74 most of the time.

"the blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll."

You'd be surprised that most of early blues have been covered by all the greats of rock. And even more surprised that the early blues musicians never got the credit they deserved.

Or not surprised. :(

MB>

My favorite riding bands:

Bronski Beat -- The Age of Consent

The Call -- The Walls Came Down

The Fixx -- Shuttered Room

The Cure -- Any release

Depeche Mode -- Any release

'Til Tuesday -- Any release

Rush -- Any release

Public Enemy

Dr. Dre -- The Chronic

REM -- Document

KISS -- Hotter Than Hell

Dio -- Holy Diver

Metallica -- Any release

Oingo Boingo -- Any release

Tony

How about:

The Little Things by Dany Elfman (theme from the movie "Wanted"); and

Bad Things by Jace Everett (theme from HOO series "True Blood).

On my Ipod i have lots of songs i listen to in my youth

Kansas - Dust in the wind

Ario Gzuthrie - Cit y of New Orleans

Lots of Bob Segar - Down on Main Street

Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

When my wife and I departed on our month long x-country tour, the first tune on my Zumo was "I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash, so that one always brings back good memories. On a nice, curvy, technical road, I always appreciate some classic Rush, especially since I know Neil Peart would appreciate the ride as well!

-MKL

Some riding tunes on my MP3:

Ghost Riders in the Sky by Marshall Tucker

A Little Less Conversation by Elvis

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes by Jimmy Buffett

Against the Wind by Bob Seger

Ain't Going Down Til the Sun Comes Up by Garth Brooks

Bad Motor Scooter by Montrose

Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf

Stayin Alive by the Bee Gees

Flirtin With Disaster by Molly Hatchet

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

Free Ride by Doobie Brothers

East Bound and Down by Jerry Reed

Highway Star by Deep Purple

Hooked on an 8 second Ride by Chris LeDoux

Kickstart my Heart by Motely Crue

Long Time Gone by Dickey Betts

Melissa by the Allman Brothers

Movin' On by Bad Company

Riding the Storm Out by REO Speedwagon

See See Rider by The Animals

Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Slow Ride by Foghat

Soul Man by the Blues Brothers

Start Me Up by Rolling Stones

Truckin' by Grateful Dead

Wherever I may Roam by Metallica

"the blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll."

You'd be surprised that the early blues musicians never got the credit they deserved. Or not. :( MB>

Sadly, it sucks and is essentially, IMO, a skin color issue.

Rock and roll is an obnoxiously loud child and my personal favorite. While I do so like good blues, classical, reggae and ska, I am so skewed to rock its almost scary. From Chuck Berry to the current cast, I'm a rocker, dyed in the wool.

As for road tunes, the harder the better. I just completed a whittling down of my road tunes from 922 to 509 songs (16 GB flash drives are great!). My favorites include: Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, Collective Soul, Disturbed, Evanescence, Godsmack, Iron Maiden, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, most hair bands and my personal German-engineered favorite: Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner. :clap:

Now, I'm not saying softer is bad. I love me some Elton John and Bruce Springsteen and Bob Seger, etc. but wind noise makes most of them a bit difficult to enjoy at speed. Happy motoring.

Free Ride by Doobie Brothers

I don't recall the Doobies doin that one......Maybe Rick Derringer/Edgar Winter? :dopeslap:

Sorry....I'm a musician :mad: not really.....I'm drummer! (insert rim shot here) :rofl:

But aside from that.....my choices are way too numerous to list. One that had me singing in the helmet on a sunny ride up the California Coast one day was

U2....Beautiful Day

Surprisingly.....clasical music is great for twisty roads, Ride of the Valkries was already mentioned but think about.....The William Tell Overture.....1812 Overture.

9000 songs on my iPod, Etymotic ER-4P earbuds and a tank of gas......take me away!

Hawk

Hawk,

I sure got that wrong.

From Wiki:

Free Ride is a song written by Dan Hartman and performed by The Edgar Winter Group on the album They Only Come Out at Night.

Little late maybe, but a few I like are...

Allman Bros

Climax Blues Band

JJ Cale

Little Feat

Savoy Brown

Older Fleetwood Mac

SRV

Basicly most Blues and 70's rock, add a little Reggae, R&B and I'm happy.

Al

Hey i thought we were limited to 2 songs....? :dopeslap:

Dead Kennedys -anything from them

Take me to the river from the Talking Heads, and other TH songs

All of the Ramones stuff

God save the queen and Anarchist from The Sex Pistols

Hawk,

I sure got that wrong.

From Wiki:

Free Ride is a song written by Dan Hartman and performed by The Edgar Winter Group on the album They Only Come Out at Night.

Boone,

You only got the artist wrong.....great tune! From the same album...check out, "And We all had a real good time" Always makes me smile but...that album hit in my middle school years......great memories!

I don't like to be distracted by lyrics. I generally like long songs and especially ones that build.

Some of my favorites are from the following groups.

Enigma

Porcupine Tree

God Is An Astronaut

My favorite road tunes are Tchaikovsky's 1812 orchestra performed by the Halle` Orchestra. I swear it's the most moving piece I've ever heard. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's, particularly No.3 in allegro moderato are good too.

I got tired of rock music a long time ago though I do love 80's New Wave...

Johnny Jetson

Anything from Asleep at The Wheel -- Choo Choo Ch'Boogy, Route 66, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Miles and Miles of Texas, Hot Rod Lincoln, Dance with Who Brung You, San Antonio Rose, and about 4dz others.

Anything from Asleep at The Wheel -- Choo Choo Ch'Boogy, Route 66, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Miles and Miles of Texas, Hot Rod Lincoln, Dance with Who Brung You, San Antonio Rose, and about 4dz others.

Yup! Agree...

So, I've been lurking here for years and have never felt the need to post until now. But the ultimate road tune is "Me and my motorcycle" by Love and Rockets. Great band all the way around, but the song is most appropriate.

Late for the Sky is a good JB tune. If I am into riding spiritedly, the live version of Behind the Lines by Genesis is pretty good too. Starting out a trip: Long Time by Boston.

A couple Jackson Browne Classics:

Redneck Friend

The Road and the Sky

Siousie and the Banshees

The Passenger

Archived