IGNORED

Can YOU fix a broken toy?

KMG_365

Thats thinking for a change. I try to fix everything sometimes successful. This last week I had a vacuum cleaner with one of those disposable bags. I took the bag out, did some measurements and built a 1/8" thick container that I can insert and remove to empty and then re insert it into the vacuum. No more throw away bags.

Its not a toy but same theme of working with what we have.

russell_bynum

Financially, it is often hard to justify spending much time/effort/energy fixing a toy when you can get a new one for next to nothing. It's amazing what the Chinese can do for $20 these days.

But...I'm all for keeping things going as long as possible. Not just toys, either....all kinds of stuff.

I've still got my old British HO-scale electric trains that I got when I was a kid. They need some work and Steven's way too young for them right now, but in a few years, I'll prolly bust them out, disassemble, clean/fix everything and get them going again for him.

Too funny. My mother just dropped off a box of HO trains a couple of days ago. A mix of US and European (French, I think) engines and cars. Now, I need the track and a transformer!

HO was the common gauge for us growing up.

My older brother started in the early 1960 and over time it has been passed down through the family .

I "inherited" it from him and added to it ,then it was passed to my younger brother then passed to my wifes younger brother.

Then my nephew had it for a couple of years.

The last layout was on two table tennis tables and this has been dis assembled ,and all the components stored in timber boxes and is in the roof of my garage.

All the running stock has been wrapped in tissue paper with drying crystals , points etc have been treated the same but unfortunately most of the track which was sprayed with lubricant is probably not worth saving .

I am only guessing now but I would expect that there would be at least 50 or 60 locomotives , at least a thousand rolling stock , I can't imagine how many trees etc and "towns of buildings".

Each of us added to the original sets with complete sets and each has added their own "touch" to styles and types etc.

As most of my family travels quite a bit , the equipment has come from all over the world, one of the advantages of HO. We have not been brand specific and Hornby , Fleischman, Rivarossi , Triang and many other brands. A lot of these sets are still in their original boxes and would now be collectors items.

My younger brother who is now a engineer built many locomotives from kits that he sourced from around the world mainly Europe , some very nice brass units

We grew up in an area fairly remote and without tv {I am glad} so we developed our own entertainement and from that skill sets that tv just doesn't provide.

Our area is extremely flat and we would build mountains and bridges etc from picture in encyclopedias and would receive by mail track layouts from around the world, who knows this may have contributed to my fascination with travelling the world..

I hope my grandson ,who is 1 on the 15/12 wants to use what I have put away for him

It's nice to see I'm not the only one trying to keep the toys in use, and out of the landfill!

I've got a constantly rotating collection of broken toys in my 'Papa Fix' box. The kids break 'em, I put 'em back together.

Sadly, it seems that Christmas for Bear and Torrey will be all used toys this year. Almost all of it stuff that I've found and fixed. I've been out of regular work for a while, and not finding enough freelance to pay the bills, much less buy shiny new playthings. (sigh)

Still - aside from the refinished antique desks, some of the fixed stuff is way cooler than what I had as a kid. I know I'll get hell from the grandparents about some of the goodies. (Handheld electronic games, 12-volt drive-around 'Barbie' jeeps, etc...)

And some of it, I'm not even sure I WANT them to have! (Namely: a basket of parts turned back into a 50cc pocketbike that is *almost* finished.)

He's got GREAT bicycle handling skills, and I expect he'd be able to handle the motorized bike just fine. (Particularly if I dial the governor back to <10-12 MPH...)

I'm just not sure __I'M__ ready!

(That is to say - I'm fine with the scoot, but I don't really want to have to listen to the admonishments that __I'll__ receive, should HE receive the little track bike.)

Oh well... So, has anyone got some old kids' size 6 leathers/riding gear (and/or size 1 to 1-1/2 boots) sitting around that needs a new home?

:D

Oh I fix almost everything that breaks. Even the stuff that originally costs a dollar. Why? Sometimes it is simply because young kids/wife wants it back working NOW. Other times, it would take far more time to find a replacement.

Most of my repairs are due to some plastic piece breaking. A decent two part epoxy has been my friend for years now. Other times, a wire needs re-attached somewhere. Repairs of actual circuits or requiring the purchace of something may not happen, since the time savings and ability to hold the schedule goes away.

In my basement shop, I have a huge collection of "stuff" for this purpose. Sometimes, it really pays off. When I have to clean the shop, I often want to change my ways.

My favorite tool for fixing electronic circuits is a

pressure controlled air compressor and some denatured

alchohol. Its amazing how many times things work again

after a little cleaning.

Archived